Time Warner; New Software/Format

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Warner; New Software/Format

The new Time Warner Oceanic format for controlling the digital cable TV debuted on my system today and I'm not liking some features.

Volume is not accessible from the cable box and setting up recording times is now much harder to set up to the minute as far as start time and stop time. Such as I like to set up some shows to stop recording at 6:59 so the next show can be started on another channel.

Once again somebody took something that worked and "improved" it.
    You can apply any terms to any situation to suit your perspective.

Re: Time Warner; New Software/Format

Yep, I woke up to a whole new "program" to learn. Now to find the time to watch channel 311 and try to figure everything out. Ugh!

Comment

I've found a feature that seems like it may be helpful. When you zip through the commercials on a recorded show and stop a few seconds into the resumed program, the machine backs up to the last 5 seconds or so of the last commercial.

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz View Post
        Volume is not accessible from the cable box
        I just got the new Navogator system two days ago, and it's working fairly well for me. Just like before, for the basic volume setting use the volume buttons on the digital box itself. The setting will appear at the bottom of your screen, so set it all the way up and from then on control it from your remote.
        With the old system, volume always reset to mid-level whenever there was a power outage at your house. Not sure if Navigator will do that too.

and setting up recording times is now much harder to set up to the minute as far as start time and stop time.
        Most of your Record settings should have transferred automatically, they claim. I had to reset a few of mine. I set most of my favorites to record NEW episodes only, but what's weird with the new Navigator is that that certain shows record every single episode, new or repeats. Some shows that I like air old episodes several times a day, and Navigator records every single episode, every day. That, of course, eats up tons of DVR memory, so I constantly have to check my list and erase those unwanted episodes. Weird.
        I also note that some of the shows I've recorded show up on the list with a strange green symbol next to the them, and others don't. Makes no difference if they're new or old episodes, either. Again, weird. No idea what that symbol means.
        And some recorded shows say NEW when it's a new episode, but other new episodes don't say NEW. Huh?

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        Yep, I woke up to a whole new "program" to learn. Now to find the time to watch channel 311 and try to figure everything out. Ugh!
        There's also a special Navigator training section on Oceanic's website. (I haven't used it yet.)

Originally posted by Fritz View Post
        I've found a feature that seems like it may be helpful. When you zip through the commercials on a recorded show and stop a few seconds into the resumed program, the machine backs up to the last 5 seconds or so of the last commercial.
        Well, it backs up about 5 seconds, but doesn't have to go back into a commercial. Wait another second or two before you hit Play and it'll just go to where the show restarts.
        I notice the fast forward speed only goes from 1 to 3, where it used to go to 4. And if you hit the Stop button, it no longer gives you the Skip To The End choice. I used to use that fairly often; like on late night talk shows when I wasn't interested in the guests but did want to hear the musical guest at the end of the show, it was easy to hit Skip To End and then Reverse for just a few seconds. Can't do it any more. Bit of a time waster.
        Last edited by LikaNui; April 13, 2011, 12:17 PM. Reason: Fixed a darned typo.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Ours appeared yesterday, and it works OK, except that for some reason my amplifier, which used to turn on when the cable box is activated, now has to be turned on separately.

The 5-second backup when fast forwarding is a standard feature on Mainland cable systems.

Oceanic was supposed to premiere the new system in a demonstration/press conference last week, and cancelled it at the very last minute.
          Burl Burlingame
          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

OK, I changed the audio from HDMI to Dolby and now I have an on-screen variable volume control.

Comment

I dunno, I like it.
              The old one felt clunky.
              Grab some goggles and answer to nobody.

Comment

I'm still having lots of problems with the DVR.
                • It records some programs with no audio at all.
                • It records some programs on regular digital channels instead of HiDef, so the images are squeezed, even though I set it to record on HiDef.
                • It records programs I never wanted recorded.
                • And to make room for those unwanted programs, it deletes programs I had saved!

HORRIBLE.

Comment

In early 2007, I started to hear about Navigator, introduced at that time into some test markets, to the universal dismay of TWC customers who tried it. I gather that the point was to save licensing fees that TWC had had to pay to Scientific Atlanta, previously. Navigator is the TWC in-house product. I saw the handwriting on the wall -- didn't like the look of the future with TWC, and decided to jump ship to DirecTV. I'm happy with that decision. The DirecTV firmware for their satellite boxes is not without problems, but it is incredibly better than the TWC firmware as I recall it from 2007. (I have had no direct experience with Navigator, though.)
                  Greg

Comment

After my post an hour ago, my system has now failed again. Screen imjages were coming in at half size, 3/4 size, all over the place. I called Oceanic and finally got through after about 7 minutes of recorded sales pitches and another 15 minutes on hold. The person had me try a dozen different things, then finally said to try just rebooting it and that they'd call me back. It took 15 minutes to reboot, and the problem still exists. I've called them back and I'm on hold.
                    Oh, and I'm MAD AS HELL.

Comment

Someone finally came on the line. They say there's nothing they can do and that a serviceman needs to come out here... the earliest time is A WEEK FROM TODAY.

Oceanic Time-Warner SUCKS.

Comment

Seriously, it's like you all are using a completely different service than me. . . I've yet to have -any- problems with it since the change over.
                        Grab some goggles and answer to nobody.

Comment

Update.
                          When the first person hadn't called back, I called Oceanic and was able to leave a message for a call-back from the service department. That call came to me about half an hour after the first person had set up the appointment for next week.
                          I explained the problem to the second person, and that it seemed to be happening on KHON and KHNL the most. He told they'd been having problems on those two stations all day. I asked why the first person never mentioned that and he had no answer. He went on to say they were working on the audio problems and hoped to have it fixed soon. Audio?! I told him again that my problems were video, not audio! He put me on hold for several minutes, then came back and said that they'd switched the HD channels to the regular channels while they are working on the problem. Maybe, maybe not. All the other HD channels were fine except KHON and KHNL. He didn't know if they'd just changed those two or all of them. So the repair people aren't talking to their own service department, and no correct answer can be given to the customers. IDIOTS.
                          And now, a little after 9pm, KHON is okay but KHNL is still bad.
                          I'mk keeping the service appointment for next week, just in case.

Comment

Navigator certainly isn't an upgrade, afaic. However, I'm not having any major problems with it. It's. just. soooooo. slooooooow. Analogous to dial-up vs DSL!!!

Does anyone else have sound issues on ch 1008? Both pre and post Navigator I have to crank the sound level up to at least 40, sometimes louder. Then the commercials come on and blow out my ear drums! This doesn't happen with ch 8, or any other channel. My normal sound level is about 15. Strange...

ETA: LN, I just remembered that, since Navigator, I've had occasional loss of audio/video on 1008 (KHNL). And, it just happened on 1005. A/V returns if I change channels then go back to the offending channel.
                            Last edited by tutusue; April 28, 2011, 09:33 PM.

Comment

1003 KHON and 1008 KHNL are still not working.
                              Tutu, I've noticed that sound level problem on various channels. And sometimes I turn on my system and get distortion on all channels; I have to turn off the cable then turn it back on and usually the distortion goes away.
                              Here's another one that I'm curious if anyone else has seen. On KHON 1003, for the past several months (even before and after Navigator) most of the commercials run and then replay the last few seconds again before moving on. That happens to at least 75% of the KHON commercials. Anyone else seen that?

Comment

Working...
                              X