Thread: Sales Tax on Internet Purchases

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Sales Tax on Internet Purchases

Isaac Choy

That's the fellows name. He authored the bill that would make it easier for the government to collect sales tax on our internet purchases. Let's get the names of all the people behind this movement out there so we can vote them out of office.

Saw the story in the Staradvertiser about this. Personally I like to pay some taxes. I realize that some taxes are necessary. But this is in the category I call,"Let's see if we can make them bleed a little more".
    You can apply any terms to any situation to suit your perspective.

Default Re: Sales Tax on Internet Purchases

I purchase a number of things on the Internet. I do not mind paying sales taxes on those purchases. Overall, taxes have never been lower. Consequently, many necessary programs are being eliminated, our infrastructure is falling apart, and our grandchildren are being put under a mountain of future debt as a result.

This legislation makes sense to me.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

I order a lot of things online. I wouldn't object to being charged a sales tax on them - it doesn't amount to that much extra cost. The thing I refuse to pay is shipping costs. If they don't ship for free - I don't buy from that website.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    Sydney J. Harris

I'm surprised this didn't happen a decade ago. I, too, am ok with it.

Quote Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
    The thing I refuse to pay is shipping costs. If they don't ship for free - I don't buy from that website.
    I agree with you there Ana. Many companies use shipping as an additional profit center.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

I am perfectly OK with tax on internet purchases. Yeah, shoulda been done long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
    [...]The thing I refuse to pay is shipping costs. If they don't ship for free - I don't buy from that website.
    Quote Originally Posted by matapule View Post
    I agree with you there Ana. Many companies use shipping as an additional profit center.
    I'm ok with paying for shipping if the combined price of the product & shipping is still less than I'd pay for the product, alone, elsewhere. What ticks me off is when a company or individual refuses to ship to Hawaii. Can someone please enlighten me as to the rationalization behind that? I found a used book I wanted on eBay...no shipping to Alaska or Hawaii. A BOOK! </OT>!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    What ticks me off is when a company or individual refuses to ship to Hawaii. Can someone please enlighten me as to the rationalization behind that? I found a used book I wanted on eBay...no shipping to Alaska or Hawaii. A BOOK! </OT>!!!
    Tutu, many companies have a flat rate for shipping. Shipping to HI or AK costs more and they don't want to go to the administrative hassle of having two shipping structures. I know, it doesn't make sense from a customer service standpoint, but in today's business climate, customer service takes a backseat to profit.