This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another HT member health issue

Since Tatt and others have posted about their issues, I guess I should dive in and see if anyone here is diabetic.
    Some of you know I've had some health issues recently. It all started about a dozen years ago when I was diagnosed with Type 2 (adult onset) diabetes.
    Well, a couple of days ago I saw a doctor due to some more severe problems, and he tested my blood sugar. Normal is around 100, and mine was... 399. So I'm right at 4 times normal. Not good at all, obviously. Are you familiar with the phrase "dead man walking"?
    He changed me from Type 2 up to a full-on Type 1 diabetes, and changed my medications. Still not having to do daily insulin shots, but that may be coming if the medications don't work. I've also altered my diet, of course.
    Wish me luck, please. And if you have diabetes knowledge, feel free to pass it along.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Another HT member health issue

My Dear Friend LikaNui, God's mighty Angels to fight your disease and I lift you up in prayer, in Jesus mighty name. Amen.

Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Sorry to hear Likanui and truly wish you all the best.
      I know the doctors have said, exercise and good diet my friend.
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

i'm glad to hear that you went in and were diagnosed.

now the hard part... diet, exercise and meds.

do what you need to do!

i am probably still "obese" because of my BMI but much better than 45 days ago!

i did nutrisystem via costco and have lost close to 20lbs.

learn to eat right, start exercising and get better.

we're here to help and offer support.

joel

Comment

Thanks for the comments, folks.
          I've improved the diet, but it wasn't all that bad to begin with. I've never been into candy or desserts or sodas, etc., so nothing to stop doing there. Breads, pastas, rice, etc., are being cut back severely. I've always enjoyed fruits and veggies, so now I just need to figure out which ones stay and go.
          Exercise hasn't been an issue either. I do lots of handywork and yardwork and walk a lot, and quite often take stairs instead of elevators, etc.
          Thanks again. All tips and advice appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            [...]
            Thanks again. All tips and advice appreciated.
            Stop smoking, possibly? Also, google the glycemic index. Good luck.

Comment

All tips and advice appreciated.
              Two Words: Weight Watchers

It works. No special food to purchase. It is about a change in attitude about the way you eat. Eat all your favorite things, but in reasonalbe amounts. It works. Once you reach your weight goal, the program costs you nothing.
              Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

My weight really isn't much of an issue here, folks. I'm only very slightly on the heavy side, having lost a lot of weight over the past year or two. So the problem isn't the weight, it's the diet I've been eating. Just that.
                And Tutu, I wish it was easy to stop smoking but I've been smoking since I started doing radio in the early 1970s. Thanks for the tip about Googling the glycemic index, though. Lots of great and helpful info in some of those links. Mahalo!

Comment

you might also look into changing to a "Mediterranean-style" diet. Not to lose weight (although thats usually a benefit) but because it's just a healthy way to eat and it does help lower your glycemic count. I was recently told that mine was high and Dr. suggested the change. I bought a cookbook approved by American Diabetes Assn. and have been cooking a lot of the recipes - they are amazingly good! and its all foods I happen to like anyway.
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Thanks. I'm planning on stopping in at the local ADA office and picking up some literature from them. Not a cookbook, though, since I rarely cook. (My two older sisters learned to cook and I learned to clean. I still don't know how long to boil my corn flakes. However, I have been cooking some fat-free skinless/boneless chicken breast fillets for the past few months.)
                    What's strange about this diabetes problem is that I've been so healthy my whole life. I get the flu maybe once per decade, and a cold maybe once every four years. I was only in the hospital in 1969 for a broken ankle (playing baseball) and then not again until a few weeks ago for a kidney stone. I've broken fingers and toes several times, mostly while racing big sailboats, but I always fixed breaks, sprains and cuts by myself. So basically, pretty darned healthy. Until now.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your health issues, Lika

Wow, 399; that must have been scary to hear. From bills to taxes, who wants to see large numbers like that?

Good luck with the life style changes (hope the meds work).
                      "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                      "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                      "
                      Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                        Mediterranean diet
                        My long time suggestion to just about anybody for just about any problem, and one of the best tasting remedies too. From Portugal to Morocco, there is so much tasty and healthy stuff to choose from. Good luck, LN, I always wonder when my fortunate health will hit a similar snag...
                        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

My weight really isn't much of an issue here, folks. I'm only very slightly on the heavy side, having lost a lot of weight over the past year or two. So the problem isn't the weight, it's the diet I've been eating. Just that.
                          And Tutu, I wish it was easy to stop smoking but I've been smoking since I started doing radio in the early 1970s. Thanks for the tip about Googling the glycemic index, though. Lots of great and helpful info in some of those links. Mahalo!
                          Even being slightly overweight can impact diabetes. The closer a diabetic gets to their ideal weight or even a little under will impact them in a positive way. Losing weight recently could possibly be why your blood sugar level isn't even higher. It's something you can do to help your condition.

Smoking is never easy to stop. Ever. But it can be done. My dad cold turkeyed after 65 years of smoking 3 to 4 packs a day of Camels. It's something you can do to help your condition.

Preparing your own food will be key as a diabetic needs to know exactly what they're eating. Waffles, loco mocos, white anything are out. There's a good thread within HT that was started by Myopic Joe when his dad was widowed. He was looking for tips to help his dad learn to cook easy meals. It's something you can do to help your condition.

You're now in a new chapter of your life. The game has changed. The rules are new. The outcome is dependent upon your willingness to adapt.

Gotta remember, you asked for tips...not just tips you wanted to hear (or see, in this case!!!).

Comment

Just a quick update. The past few months have included occasional bouts of dizziness and other times bouts of nausea, neither of which had ever been a problem before. (There are other problems, but not ones you want to hear about.) The occasional nausea still happens, but the bouts of dizziness have slowly been increasing. Today was the worst. I woke up very dizzy and it lasted most of the day. Really really weird.
                            Anyone know where that dizziness comes from? I'll talk to my doctor, of course, but curious what any of you think.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the new symptoms

I don't know anything diabetes specific, but I'll throw this out for consideration: hydration levels? My wife gets dizziness when she has too little or too much water in her system.
                              "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                              "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                              "
                              Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Working...
                              X