No Rock Stations in Hawaii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No Rock Stations in Hawaii?

Rock gets lousy ratings. Classic rock is rarely ever over a 3.0 in this town. Usually around # 12 or so in the ratings-doesn't move up doesn't move down. It's like country music- you'll have the market share to yourself but it will be small. But it's yours. Is there any $$ in those stations? Marginal..You program for the masses. Repeat the same artists . Keep costs low. No risks. Kpoi only has one live jock. You can't lower your costs much below that. I play my Ipod with 13,000+ songs instead.
    Last edited by Palolo lolo; May 15, 2011, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Re: No Rock Stations in Hawaii??

Originally posted by Rontar View Post
      we still have a long time after our lifetime to wait for any of our high quality rock and roll to become public domain.

I'm not talking about what crappy 'classic rock' stations play, or the millions of 'as good' songs on those same LPs that they never play, but the loads of rarely/never heard bands that would blow up your radio they're so good. Far from all the good US bands/songs from the 60/70s got played on radio, and other countries produced killer stuff as well. I just found another Yugo 70s band that melts faces! There is so much once unloved NOS available to dload for free in LP form or cop off youtube, it's insane. And then there is all the bootleg material, holy cow! From merely this short year alone I've collected a massive amount of newly found great rock, and thanx to the www I've long had NO need for lame radio or today's pathetic playlists. In another forum I have 2 long threads of this stuff just off YT, with much more to add, and way more waiting to be found. And everything I've mentioned is just the hard n heavy niche, the tip of the rockberg, all public domain. Thank you bloggers!
      Last edited by Ron Whitfield; May 20, 2011, 05:37 PM.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

what's up with KPOI now? Smells like format change but to what?

Comment

According to their website and Facebook page KPOI is "cleaning out the music closet" this weekend. Sounds like a format change. Active rock? They're playing Poison, Offspring, the Plimsouls, etc.

http://kpoifm.wordpress.com/ - links to live stream.

http://www.facebook.com/KPOIFM
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I hope they get to Modern rock,there is music many are missing out on here. Like Nightwish,Avenged Sevenfold,The Foo Fighters and such.

Comment

On another note, KAOI FM 95.1 broadcasting out of Maui has reverted back to a rock format. For a few years they were adult contemporary. They seem to play a wider variety of rock tracks, like it was like when they were "Quality Rock" back in the late 1970s through the 1980s to the 1990s.

They have a live stream you can sample/listen:

http://tunein.com/tuner/?StationId=31460&

Plus they have Alice Cooper in the nights, who at one time was on KPOI.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

KPOI just went adult Contemporary.

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...ps-to-soft-ac/

I remember when i lived in Maryland,i could hear actual rock music, like the scorpions,Metallica,Celtic frost,Helloween,Edguy and such.

But seems the radio stations here are afraid to play modern rock or metal.
                Last edited by Axelfox; October 21, 2020, 12:45 PM.

Comment

The switchover of KPOI to AC occurred in May.

KUCD at 101.9 FM has an alt rock format, but it varies.
                  KORL 101.5 has a classic rock format.
                  KTUH 90.1 FM may have a rock block on some days of its broadcast week.
                  These stations are on Oahu.

Hawaii island has KNWB (B93/B97) FM in Kona and Hilo, both simulcasting a classic hits rock format.

Maui has KAOI FM 95.1 and KRKH 97.3 FM.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Even when the station was rock music, it would play disco acts right after the rock and roll or heavy metal song.

Where i used to Live on the East Coast, if a station played disco, they would be made fun of for it.

I remember a radio station on the east coast who had disco sucks as it's motto during their ads.

And when i lived on the East Coast,i could hear a lot more rock and metal acts on radio, like Helloween,Megadeth,Edguy,Iron Maiden,Rancid,Sex Pistols and such.

I'm a rock/metal guy and i go out of my way to avoid disco or new wave.

Good thing i have cds
                    Last edited by Axelfox; May 12, 2021, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Recently KHXM 103.9 FM (103.9 K280FC) "The Ax" came on the air with a modern rock format. You may want to check it out.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                      X