Weather updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Weather updates

Frequent rain over here, mostly horizontal. Wind is still very frisky. Steady 25 and frequent higher gusts. Wind has more north in it than usual (perhaps that's why it's light in Waikiki) and since there's more north in the wind, it's colder too. Did winter sneak in while I wasn't watching?
    Big waves on Kaneohe Bay and tons of whitecaps.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      Did winter sneak in while I wasn't watching?
      December starts next week.

Comment

‎35'+ waves coming in to our north shore tonight. The National Weather Service is referring to them as "ginormous" and "extra-large to marginally giant." Yes, those are quotes from the NWS.
        The Eddie won't go because they feel the waves will fall back below steady 20' pretty fast.
        Now, where did I leave my boogie board?

Comment

Here it comes!
          Attached Files

Comment

Get some real loud thunda going on that set off car alarms.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
              Get some real loud thunda going on that set off car alarms.
              Hell yes. In my entire life I've never heard thunder anywhere near that loud! I'm gonna say it was three times louder than anything I've ever heard.
              The first one was at 9:24pm and it was the loudest. The boom was so strong that it shook the house like an earthquake.
              The next two were at 9:34 and again at 9:47. And yes, each one set off hundreds of car alarms. And I'm shocked that the electricity didn't go out.
              Frickin' WILD!

Comment

Hearing a ton of sirens now, and the TV news just said that a lightning bolt hit the top of the Ilikai Hotel.
                Star-Advertiser website just now posted this:

"Firefighters were responding to a report that a lightning strike started a fire atop Ilikai Marina tonight.
                Callers reported that lightning hit the roof of the apartment building about 9:40 p.m. and that flames were visible."

I'm sure thousands of animals are scared too from those earlier thunderbolts.

UPDATE: TV news now says it wasn't the Ilikai but it was at Hilton Hawaiian Village.
                Last edited by LikaNui; March 5, 2012, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Definitely some of the loudest thunder I've ever heard here in town. Lightning was striking close by, so I wouldn't be surprised if it touched down nearby, like the Ilikai (though they're now saying it might have been the Hilton Hawaiian Village).

Comment

Wow! Here's weather undergrounds radar showing Oahu...
                    http://www.wunderground.com/radar/ra...=9999&smooth=0
                    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Now they're back to saying it was the Ilikai.
                      And MM, that's one of the radar links I always use too. [/high five]
                      Here's an image from it just moments ago:
                      Attached Files

Comment

Kaaawa might as well be on the moon, we havn't had anything like the rest of the island, nice a mellow with the rain mostly light and off/on.
                        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Very cool reading! I didn't remember thunder and lightening with the daily showers we got in the 3 years I lived on Schofield back in 79-82. How odd.
                          Returning in two weeks to show the island to my son's. Will definately have to listen out for it.
                          If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Later news reports saying no hotels were struck by lightning - but look at this gorgeous photo posted to Twitter ---

https://twitter.com/#!/cindypaliraci.../photo/1/large

Comment

Yeah, town got some good ones last night. I was only 2 seconds away from me. (Time from flash to boom). Given the brightness and sound, I think it was cloud to ground, not the usual cloud to cloud.

Comment

Last night's thunderstorm passed thru the Waianae Coast fairly quick. The first bolt of lightning and clap of thunder were the most intense. Still, they didn't compare to one of the storms last year when the sky lit up, the thunder let loose and I involuntarily screamed! My town side Facebook friends lit up that site with their comments of...shock 'n awe!

Comment

Working...
                                X