Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weather updates

Default Re: Weather updates

It was so interesting to see all the reports of thunder but never hear any more than a few, very faint, low rumbles. From my perch, I could see the lightning bolts coming from beyond the east ridge of Manoa Valley...which equates to Waimanalo area, iirc. It was another amazing light show. A friend recorded an incredible clap of thunder and emailed it to me (gotta love technology!). It sounded like Earth was cracking in half. Hazy sun today with patches of blue sky in Waikiki.

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    The sky currently looks like a fluorescent light tube on the verge of failing!
    Quite a show last night. You'd think all the sinners lived on the Windward side or something.

Town side not nothing. I don't think we even got any rain.

Exclamation Re: Weather updates

[quote=GeckoGeek;269600]Quite a show last night. You'd think all the sinners lived on the Windward side or something. [quote]
    Not no more, they all got struck by lightning.

The upper Ahuimanu Kahalu`u Stream Bridge almost got washed out. Four (4) feet of water over the road at the max!!!! The roadway is eroded enough to make it dangerous.

My stream (Kahalu`u Stream on my property), is changed beyond comprehension.

Remember the stream view from your water company fliers? That was my section of stream looking downstream from the mauka border of my land. That largest boulder that dominated the view is no longer there!!! I wish I had photographed it earlier - no one will believe me now. I figured it was so big it would never move!

This rainfall and subsequent flooding is the worst in the 30 years I have been here.

K!
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

*bump*

I really can't recall a single day that had this much heavy rain. It started well before sunrise and has continued all day with only a few short breaks. The wind has been extremely light, so the clouds are just parked and pouring. A look at the radar moents ago showed heavy rain along the entire windward coast from Waimanalo to Turtle Bay. You folks on the leeward side look totally dry.
    Must be a zillion waterfalls in the Ko`olau. Too bad it's too cloudy to see 'em.
    'Nuff awready!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

It was a bit overcast in Makaha earlier today but this afternoon was a picture postcard beach day...for everyone but me! <sniff!> Was strange to see flash flood advisories for Oahu on tv. Makaha got one downpour yesterday but nuthin' today.

I think Honolulu got a "Manoa Mist" or two. I was surprised to see the flood advisory.

Still raining nonstop here in Kaneohe, sometimes very heavy. Had a brief power outage about an hour ago too.

It's a rainy nite in Geor... Ka'a'awa.

Thumbs up Re: Weather updates

Yesterday they warned us that we'd have big wind today and tomorrow, gusting up to 50mph, starting around noon today, they said.
    About ten minutes ago it went from around 15mph to a steady 30 with higher gusts.
    Their prediction yesterday was off by about 5 minutes.
    Good job, NWS!

Drizzling in Waikiki. Barely any wind.

Frequent rain over here, mostly horizontal. Wind is still very frisky. Steady 25 and frequent higher gusts. Wind has more north in it than usual (perhaps that's why it's light in Waikiki) and since there's more north in the wind, it's colder too. Did winter sneak in while I wasn't watching?
    Big waves on Kaneohe Bay and tons of whitecaps.

Quote Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
    Did winter sneak in while I wasn't watching?
    December starts next week.

‎35'+ waves coming in to our north shore tonight. The National Weather Service is referring to them as "ginormous" and "extra-large to marginally giant." Yes, those are quotes from the NWS.
    The Eddie won't go because they feel the waves will fall back below steady 20' pretty fast.
    Now, where did I leave my boogie board?

Here it comes!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Get some real loud thunda going on that set off car alarms.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    Get some real loud thunda going on that set off car alarms.
    Hell yes. In my entire life I've never heard thunder anywhere near that loud! I'm gonna say it was three times louder than anything I've ever heard.
    The first one was at 9:24pm and it was the loudest. The boom was so strong that it shook the house like an earthquake.
    The next two were at 9:34 and again at 9:47. And yes, each one set off hundreds of car alarms. And I'm shocked that the electricity didn't go out.
    Frickin' WILD!

Hearing a ton of sirens now, and the TV news just said that a lightning bolt hit the top of the Ilikai Hotel.
    Star-Advertiser website just now posted this:

"Firefighters were responding to a report that a lightning strike started a fire atop Ilikai Marina tonight.
    Callers reported that lightning hit the roof of the apartment building about 9:40 p.m. and that flames were visible."

I'm sure thousands of animals are scared too from those earlier thunderbolts.

UPDATE: TV news now says it wasn't the Ilikai but it was at Hilton Hawaiian Village.
    Last edited by LikaNui; March 5th, 2012 at 09:12 PM.

Definitely some of the loudest thunder I've ever heard here in town. Lightning was striking close by, so I wouldn't be surprised if it touched down nearby, like the Ilikai (though they're now saying it might have been the Hilton Hawaiian Village).

Exclamation Re: Weather updates

Wow! Here's weather undergrounds radar showing Oahu...
    http://www.wunderground.com/radar/ra...=9999&smooth=0
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Now they're back to saying it was the Ilikai.
    And MM, that's one of the radar links I always use too. [/high five]
    Here's an image from it just moments ago:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kaaawa might as well be on the moon, we havn't had anything like the rest of the island, nice a mellow with the rain mostly light and off/on.

Very cool reading! I didn't remember thunder and lightening with the daily showers we got in the 3 years I lived on Schofield back in 79-82. How odd.
    Returning in two weeks to show the island to my son's. Will definately have to listen out for it.

Later news reports saying no hotels were struck by lightning - but look at this gorgeous photo posted to Twitter ---

https://twitter.com/#!/cindypaliraci.../photo/1/large

Yeah, town got some good ones last night. I was only 2 seconds away from me. (Time from flash to boom). Given the brightness and sound, I think it was cloud to ground, not the usual cloud to cloud.

Last night's thunderstorm passed thru the Waianae Coast fairly quick. The first bolt of lightning and clap of thunder were the most intense. Still, they didn't compare to one of the storms last year when the sky lit up, the thunder let loose and I involuntarily screamed! My town side Facebook friends lit up that site with their comments of...shock 'n awe!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast