2011's economic momentum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011's economic momentum

With well over 1/4 mil jobs created in April, the biggest boost in 5 years, we continue to witness the most amazing turnaround in this nation's eco. history http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110506/..._fi/us_economy

While I have many reservations and some outright anger about Obama, you can't (legitimately) deny the incredibly swift 2 year escape from the jaws of a multi-faceted national collapse, one which very well could have taken us down in ways most can't even conceive, and not let us up.
    Obama saved our butts big time, and while we're far from safe, we dodged an 8 year hail of Bush bullets and now have a shot at full prosperity again.
    If those crap banks would have doled out their bailout $$$ for loans to citizens as they were supposed to instead of further enriching their criminal asses, we'd be sitting rather pretty right now. As it is, it's at least a major relief from the screaming doom that was engulfing us.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: 11's economic momentum

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    While I have many reservations and some outright anger about Obama,.
    Take a number Ron, because there is a long line in front of you including me! Obama can fix a lot of things right now. He should now get the troops out of both Afghanistan and Iraq. The "deed" has been done and our troops serve no further useful purpose there. He should also issue some Presidential signing statements to fix the tax inequities, screw the "do nothing" Congress.

Let's get 'er done Obi-Wan!
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
      Take a number Ron, because there is a long line!
      There are lots of long lines, some are irrational/ignorant about the issues/facts and don't care because he's eternally illigitimate, some are blindly partisans for the always wrong, some are simply angry/distrustful about everything/kill 'em all, some are swing voters/mods that want the worst out of both parties, some are loyal Dems that will hold their nose and vote for the lesser of two/three evils, some are staunchly anti con and want every trace of them gone no matter what, and there are blind partisan Dems.
      Few have high positives for Obama in all areas, but he can indeed use this bit of momentum to greater use and correct the imperfections of term 1 .5 Start by reversing this insane anti free press assault of wiki leaks and abuse of Manning, plus the AG's office is in need of cleaning, and the flawed Patriot Act is on the block again soon.

We are now covering the costs of BushCo's 8 years, and Powell's 'Potery Barn Rule', while he that broke it is hiding out under his Crawford rock, not having to pay for nuthin'. We gotta cut our losses in Iraq-istan, but for the millions of good people there it's a bad day, if not a death sentence, and the region's instability/decline will continue at a higher speed.

Comment

Has it really only been two years? Man, seems like so much longer.
        Grab some goggles and answer to nobody.

Comment

Originally posted by Zovo View Post
          Has it really only been two years? Man, seems like so much longer.
          Indeed, you'd think this kind of serious recovery would have taken MUCH longer, and it sure felt like an eternity considering how bad off we were while starring looming death straight in the face at the end of Bush. But these last two years increasingly flew by thanx to some real hope and change. Just think what 6 more years of it will be like!

BTW Admins, do you really think retitling my thread to read - 2011's, and possibly cutting short the title is going to better inform readers than my - 11's, which insured keeping the title complete on the 1st page? It's that kind of silliness that annoys. If there's a more substantive reason for the change I'd like to hear it, thanx.
          Last edited by Ron Whitfield; May 6, 2011, 11:06 AM.

Comment

While the last couple of months have been pretty hopeful; I've been hearing that the recession is over since before Obama even took office. So I'm gonna go ahead and remain cynical for now.

Comment

While the last couple of months have been pretty hopeful; I've been hearing that the recession is over since before Obama even took office. So I'm gonna go ahead and remain cynical for now.
              I'd REALLY like a link or ? showing anything like a Bush recovery even mentioned by anybody credible prior to Obama. I've been see/saying it for Obama for a whole year now, but after 4 decades of con ruin and often impotent countering Dems, I can appreciate cynicism. Plus, with the endless obstruction by DC cons and stupid media sources constantly refueling resentment/fear fires, we're far from out of danger. Just think where we'd be without them not supporting their prez in times of crisis!
              Last edited by Ron Whitfield; May 6, 2011, 11:20 AM.

Comment

I don't recall saying anything regarding credibility.
                But there's always someone saying they heard this, or read that, and everything's fine. . . We're not even in a recession, in fact, the world is just collectively lazy.

Point is, lots of folks including yourself (no disrespect intended) say a lot of stuff in effort to remain hopeful and encourage hope in others; but I have a hard time getting excited when I'm still working my ass off and struggling to buy groceries.

When things start getting cheaper, or I start making more money, then I'll get excited.

Comment

I don't recall saying anything regarding credibility.

But there's always someone saying they heard this, or read that, and everything's fine. . . We're not even in a recession, in fact, the world is just collectively lazy.

I have a hard time getting excited when I'm still working my ass off and struggling to buy groceries.

When things start getting cheaper, or I start making more money, then I'll get excited.

Always consider the source...

How long did you think a true recovery would take to start, maintain, compound after 8 years of being completely trashed? Obama hardly started with a clean slate of affairs, did he?

Then don't plan on getting excited. The working Joe's will always be struggling, it's The American Way.

Comment

You seem awfully intent on dragging me into a Bush vs. Obama discussion. . .
                    Just accept that I'm speaking from a non-partisan point of discontent.

Comment

. .
                      Just accept that I'm speaking from a non-partisan point of discontent.
                      What we need in this world are MORE partisans, people who are passionate about their beliefs. You seem unwilling to concede that it took W 8 years to get us into this mess, yet impatient because Obama can't extricate us in 2 years.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I'm unwilling to point the finger at anyone in particular because I don't know enough about the subject; and I'm impatient because I'm tired and frustrated.

I haven't blamed anyone for anything, nor am I willing to accept the idea that economic recession, or even boom for that matter, can be wholly blamed or attributed to a single person.

I'm unsure where you get the idea that I'm not passionate about my beliefs just because they don't fit neatly into the Republican/Democrat dichotomy.

Comment

I'm unsure where you get the idea that I'm not passionate about my beliefs just because they don't fit neatly into the Republican/Democrat dichotomy.
                          I got the idea when you said you were "non-partisan." You mis-read what I said, "we need more partisans who are passionate about their beliefs." There are plenty of partisans who are not passionate about their beliefs. So you are a partisan of some other political stripe. Care to share what your passionate beliefs are with regard to the economy?

Let me start with a snippet of my passionate economic beliefs.

I passionately believe that taxes should be raised on the wealthiest individuals in the US.

I passionately believe that we should repeal the tax breaks for the oil companies.

I passionately believe that we need to balance the budget as soon as possible by a combination of cutting military spending and raising taxes.

I passionately believe that US Congressmen should get the same kind of medical coverage the rest of have.

I passionately believe that there should no "sweetheart" retirement plan for Congressmen other than Social Security.

Well, that's a start! There's stuff in there that would both please and pi$$ off both Rethuglicans and Dumbocrats. No need to presume that I am a Dumbocrat just because I think W was a disaster for our country and Obama is doing much to turn it around.
                          Last edited by matapule; May 6, 2011, 01:26 PM.

Comment

[quote=matapule;268180]I got the idea when you said you were "non-partisan." You mis-read what I said, "we need more partisans who are passionate about their beliefs." There are plenty of partisans who are not passionate about their beliefs.[/qoute]

"Partisan" implies a party with which to agree. There is no political party that I'm aware of that with which I agree enough to support with any amount of consistency.

Care to share what your passionate beliefs are with regard to the economy?
                            I'm no economist, so I'm not sure I can say I have any -passionate- opinions on economic policy, short of amatuer idealism. But I'll use what you've given as a jumping off point. . . let's see.

I passionately believe that taxes should be raised on the wealthiest individuals in the US.
                            I believe Americans should be taxed a flat percentage of their annual income/worth regardless of earnings or social status.

I passionately believe that we should repeal the tax breaks for the oil companies.
                            I believe we should repeal tax breaks for all industries.

I passionately believe that we need to balance the budget as soon as possible by a combination of cutting military spending and raising taxes.
                            Agree with the balancing of budget; though I couldn't even say where to begin. Cutting back any of the numerous deadweight programs out there couldn't hurt though.

I passionately believe that US Congressmen should get the same kind of medical coverage the rest of have.
                            I passionately believe that we shouldn't dictate what kind of medical coverage a person can or cannot have access to. That's up to them and what they can afford.

I passionately believe that there should no "sweetheart" retirement plan for Congressmen other than Social Security.
                            I've never really considered what happens to Congressmen when they retire, though I'm inclined to agree with you.

Well, that's a start! There's stuff in there that would both please and pi$$ off both Rethuglicans and Dumbocrats. No need to presume that I am a Dumbocrat just because I think W was a disaster for our country and Obama is doing much to turn it around.
                            I made no such assumptions about you.

Honestly, I'm just a guy who doesn't know a whole lot about politics and economic policy. As such, I know my intellectual limits and am hesitant to jump headfirst into fingerpointing and mudslinging. I know Obama inherited a heap of problems from the previous administration, just as they inherited whatever baggage came from those who came before them, and they from their priors, and on and on.

You can blame W. for everything Obama is dealing with now, but many of the decisions W. made that put us where we are today sounded good at the time they were made; pragmatism, baby. Then again, there are those who would say that many of the problems which are factoring into the recession go all the way back to the Reagan administration, or even further; that there has been an ongoing problem of bad policy plaguing this country for decades and it's finally caught up with us.

I think it's great that the experts (whomever they are) are predicting an upswing; but just like the tides, these things go up and down with some regularity. So, unfortunately, I'm not gonna go about breathing my sighs of relief just yet.

Comment

You seem awfully intent on dragging me into a Bush vs. Obama discussion.
                              I thot I was not, but it does boil down to Bush vs Obama since Bush inherited peace and a huge National surplus from Slick Willy, and then after wasting the platinum opportunity for all kinds of good after 9-11, BSing us into war and all the other 'stuff', he handed Obama all that stuff, 2 wars, a humongus Nat. debt, a pissed off and much divided (not united...) citizenry, and an economy on the verge of massive disaster.

You seem young and maybe weren't paying much attention, for which I don't blame you, it sux. But, as usual, it's getting better again under the Dems rule. Stick around or examine recent history and you'll see a pattern between the two parties, one stinks and the other flat out reeks.

Comment

Working...
                              X