Hello from Oakland, CA!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Oakland, CA!

Aloha folks. I grew up on Maui but left for California to go to college around 19 years ago. I'm still over here, but I get more homesick every day. Part of that is having a three-year-old--I'm pretty sure little kids are supposed to grow in by the beach and the mountains, with all the lilikoi they can pick and eat...

The Bay Area is pretty great for those longing for Hawaii. We have a few hula halaus, weekly ukulele jam sessions in Berkeley (although I haven't been there yet since it conflicts with rehearsal times for the chorus I sing with), a couple of good import stores to get music and frozen Portagee sausage and non-frozen poi, regular concert visits by some of the slack key geniuses...And there are plenty of solid Asian markets if I want to cook--get ribs cut correctly from the Korean one a few blocks away, etc.

Something is definitely missing, though. It's way more hectic around here--just the big city metro area, I guess. People say West Coast people are laid back, but they (we) are pretty crazy, too. It's the sort of thing that was thrilling in my 20s, but as I get closer to my 40s is wearing me out.

Anyhow, the other big thing I'm up to right now is looking into a career change from computer geek to high school English teacher. I still love tech, but I've been drawn to teaching for a long time, and a few things have lined up in my life such that I am finally looking to make the switch.

So let me wrap up before I get too long-winded (too late already!) and say hello and looking forward to talking Hawaii with you folks!

Re: Hello from Oakland, CA!

Hi Pohaku...Welcome to HT. Are you thinking of returning to Hawaii and teaching?

Comment

Aloha e Pohaku!

Welcome to HT.

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        Hi Pohaku...Welcome to HT. Are you thinking of returning to Hawaii and teaching?
        Thanks, you two...Yes, Tutu Sue, my current plan is to teach for a couple of years here in Cali to make sure it's the career for me, then start looking for a spot back in Hawaii. Schools still famous for their quality?

I have a couple of high school friends still in Hawaii doing education work, so I hear a little about efforts to improve things. I watched part of that town hall meeting at Kapiolani CC on Wednesday...lots of folks with ideas! I'd like to think that if I came back, I could help make Hawaii a better place in my small way. We'll see how I do; people keep telling me about how half of new teachers quit in the first five years and other scare stories. Still yet, I think it's something I could do well. Time will tell...

Comment

Working...
        X