Neil's 90 day homeless plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neil's 90 day homeless plan

After hearing what they are proposing so far, all I can say is F OFF!
    http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/2..._homeless.html

This is all about sweeping the visual blight further under the carpet while not addressing the complex issues of the homeless that will never fully go away after decades of cultivating an entire culture that thrives, even proliferates, at the gutter level. To merely continue and expand the failed policies of 'move along' while not offering honest alternatives other than to suddenly become normal and rejoin the rat race with 'transitional housing' methods or corraling them into disgusting warehouses, or jail, is a swan dive straight past the bottom. But wait, there's more! The giant rotting brains that suck our tax dollars also plan to go after the few that feed the needy in parks or wherever. Wow, such insight... I can't wait to hear even more. If this is the best these guys can do, just STFU and go away.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Neil's 90 day homeless plan

Marc Alexander's "We need to do something different, but I don't know (what it is) yet." does seem sort of on the stupid side, since they seem to be on the verge of implementing something.
    Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
      After hearing what they are proposing so far, all I can say is F OFF!
      The hippie governor is trying his best to meet everyone's expectations, and that is a certain road to failure. He needs to create a solid plan, help the homeless help their own selves, and smile when they take over.

And what do YOU propose, Ron? Have you a proposal that is better? I'm certain you are sure that you have heard the aphorism: "If you are not a part of he solution, you are part of the problem."

I have tried to help the homeless.
      A Marine special forces parachutist I befriended, accepted my offer, but burned down the tent I loaned him, chopped down one of my lime trees, brought questionable people onto my property, and I finally asked him to leave.

I have an acre, on a stream, actually crossing a stream. A local, part Hawaiian couple needed some space, so I granted their stay & farming of my land. They moved their trailer there, against my wishes, built a shelter against my wishes. But they also built a stone walkway to the stream that I appreciated. Our total encounter was mixed. I was glad when they left; though I liked them. They left me with buried surfboard foam, buried cars and car parts, and other things we are yet to discover. Quickly I discovered that their concepts of land utilization and mine were quite different.

I want to help the homeless, and Also realize they are quick to take unfair advantage of generosity.

Homeless are of at least two types:
      1. Newbies sent here by mainland states to get them to a place where they will not die from dehydration or freezing.

2. Locals who have not been able to adjust to the modern world, to find a way to make a living where they are able to pay rental prices, et al.

It is these who are the most troublesome, yet the most viable. IF they wish to stay in Hawai`i Nei (which is obvious) they need to connect with friends, relatives or what-not, to ensure they have a roof over their heads and food - at a minimum. No more begging poi from a neighbor; those days long gone. Join the 21st century or we will lose your valuable input. Please don't go away; learn and stay.

It is that we have to learn together. The days of the ancestors are gone, but there are valuable things we can learn from you.
      Accordingly, you can learn from us how to survive in this world that is imposing itself upon you - without your consent,and without your ability to deflect it. Work with us. Teach us and learn from us, so we both can survive.
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I'm kinda thinking this might have more to do with cleaning up Waikiki and Honolulu for the upcoming APEC summit than it does an ongoing solution to the homeless problem. I expect to see an increase in the homeless population along the Waianae Coast 'til APEC is over.

Comment

My solution would be to increase taxes on everyone, but especially those making over $250K per year. Repeal the tax breaks for the oil companies. Reinstate all those mental health programs that were cut during the Reagan Administration. Start a WPA style program to put America back to work.

Although this solution would not eliminate the homeless problem entirely, it would eliminate maybe 80% of the problem. Time to restore a social consciousness to America and erase the disgusting odious legacy of Reagan.
          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
            Ron, have you a proposal that is better?
            To start with, they're called HOMELESS for an exact reason. Until that part of the equation is addressed there will be little success to be had, and even that is far from the total answer now that a huge % know they can live, in large part, as they choose, under the radar and away from overly scrutinizing eyes, even if it's on the sidewalk.
            But too many that 'have' will howl endlessly at any mention of providing free housing, no matter how meager/managed, because they fail to see the substantial benefits of providing others with which they (MAY HAVE) slaved to acquire and so far keep, or just not accepting this as a partial solution even when it's cheaper in the long run to hand out such freebies.
            Many, way beyond the currently homeless, will take advantage of a viable situation that allows for at least some personal privacy and dignity, especially if it's not located in the boonies. Most of those will succeed at maintaining themselves properly, whereas the incorrigibles/hopeless will not, thus losing their shot at a regular roof over their heads until they get it together. These hard cores will be the ones you'll always see on the streets/bushes or they'll go back to being 'hidden homeless', unless draconian laws are enacted.
            Rents may go down island wide too, setting up more bennies/problems, should there no longer be such a huge number of desperate seekers.

Linda Lingle opposed trailers, or even less suitable 'tent cities', that could have helped, but at least she didn't go deep into the toilet for something/anything and celebrate as tho she found the ultimate causes/reasons/solutions of this problem. Neal and his new point-man are starting at the lowest point possible and have called in for heavy machinary to dig the pit even deeper.
            Last edited by Ron Whitfield; May 19, 2011, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Ending an hour listening to Q&A w/Mark Alexander on KIPO's Town Square. He's got some things right, but way too much wrong, and sounds like the official appologist on homelessness. We need to get serious about this issue and get real, he's not the right guy.

Comment

I'm glad folks are thinking about possible options. Even with the shelters and soup kitchens and churches doing their best, it often feels like people just accept the homeless here in California.

One of my best friends in high school had some sort of mental breakdown a couple of years after we graduated. I wasn't there for the transition, since I was off at college and he was back on Maui. But from what people tell me, he just left his home behind one day. He was on some meds for a while which supposedly helped, but then he quit taking them...now I just go hang out around Paia, Baldwin Beach when I come visit back home, and eventually he turns up. It's so heartbreaking to talk to him and not ever quite be able to reach the guy he was.

Homelessness is so complicated, but I always think of him when I see someone who appears mentally ill. Hope you're doing okay, living day to day, my brotha.

Comment

Homelessness is not a problem - it's a solution and a lifestyle choice. It's also an industry for those wanting to 'help'. Failure to perceive reality [by those seeking a solution] is the problem and the reason effective measures have not been adopted.

Pohaku, your friend has chosen a lifestyle you find 'heartbreaking'. Get over it. The american dream has room for alternate lifestyles.
                  Last edited by salmoned; May 20, 2011, 09:35 AM.
                  May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by Pohaku View Post
                    I'm glad folks are thinking about possible options.
                    Even with the shelters doing their best.
                    What folks/options?
                    The two main shelters I don't believe are doing their best, especially the oldest, IHS. IHS smells like it's mainly a racket/scheme/scam that does the absolute minimum of assistance, just enuf to keep prying eyes away and the $ flowing into them. They are in the homeless 'business', and certainly don't seem to be pushing for anything better, lest their clientel dry up...

I've also heard about this GREATLY humanitarian part of Neal's 'plan', to have a focus put on any/all with warrants so a task force can come right behind those hauled off and throw all their possessions away so when they get out they will have NOTHING. They seem to think this is another way to force people into the crappy shelters.
                    Last edited by Ron Whitfield; May 20, 2011, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pohaku View Post
                      I'm glad folks are thinking about possible options. Even with the shelters and soup kitchens and churches doing their best, it often feels like people just accept the homeless here in California.

One of my best friends in high school had some sort of mental breakdown a couple of years after we graduated. I wasn't there for the transition, since I was off at college and he was back on Maui. But from what people tell me, he just left his home behind one day. He was on some meds for a while which supposedly helped, but then he quit taking them...now I just go hang out around Paia, Baldwin Beach when I come visit back home, and eventually he turns up. It's so heartbreaking to talk to him and not ever quite be able to reach the guy he was.

Homelessness is so complicated, but I always think of him when I see someone who appears mentally ill. Hope you're doing okay, living day to day, my brotha.
                      It is amazing when one is on or off of meds. It changes an entire perspective on life. With the right medication, cause to action is more apparent than being in a state of depression or hypertension where those diseases can affect one's capabilities or lack of.

Most of us are healthy enough to make the correct or proper decisions to remain able-bodied citizens. But for those of us who cannot make those decisions because of medical conditions or physiological disorders, life can be intimidating when confronted with otherwise simple and straightforward choices. What seems simple and common sense to some may be daunting to others.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                        It is amazing when one is on or off of meds. It changes an entire perspective on life. With the right medication, cause to action is more apparent than being in a state of depression or hypertension where those diseases can affect one's capabilities or lack of.

Most of us are healthy enough to make the correct or proper decisions to remain able-bodied citizens. But for those of us who cannot make those decisions because of medical conditions or physiological disorders, life can be intimidating when confronted with otherwise simple and straightforward choices. What seems simple and common sense to some may be daunting to others.
                        For some patients the side effects of the meds can cause symptoms worse than what the meds are treating. Unfortunate, but true. For others, meds can mean becoming a productive member of society.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                          Pohaku, your friend has chosen a lifestyle you find 'heartbreaking'. Get over it. The american dream has room for alternate lifestyles.
                          No one "chooses" to be mentally ill. No one "chooses" to get a cold. Your cold-hearted attitude is "heartbreaking."

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                          For some patients the side effects of the meds can cause symptoms worse than what the meds are treating.
                          Very true, Tutu. There has been great progress in medicine/drug therapy over the years, but still more research (which equates to money) needs to be done.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                            Homelessness is a solution and a lifestyle choice.
                            It's also an industry for those wanting to 'help'.
                            The american dream has room for alternate lifestyles.
                            It's not quite that black and white easy, but there is some truth in his words.
                            Years ago, before insanity took over our community leaders leading to overlyinflated property taxes/rents, many of us grew up knowing of the local hermit, not always a kook but often one who chose to live a cheap, secluded, and solitary life whom was often an intelligent and orderly person, mostly shunned/ignored by most but cared about by some mainly for his well being, also envied by more than would admit it. Now, he is greatly overshadowed by the much lower life that have chosen to be true scum, along with the majority that want much better for themselves and kids but are stuck in hell simply because they can't afford a home. Some make workable decisions that allow them to be decently homeless and retain a life while others spiral into tragedy, way more who could do better but choose to be dirtbags (many of whom are collecting scam $ from the State), and the rest are mentals that need real care. Not everybody has the luxury to make choices that actually work for them, even against all odds and deprives them of easily accessing the basics of human dignity, yet still maintaining as normal citizens.
                            ~While there are good providers that would love to be out of the homeless business, there are indeed plenty others that will fight to retain their gravy train at everybody's expense, and City/State officials that make it easy for them to get away with it while often putting the pinch on the good ones.
                            ~If you have $$$ you can have any alternative lifestyle you choose, flaunt it, and maybe even be lauded for it, but if you're less than rich you better keep out of sight, unless it's Mardi Gras.

I agree with this op-ed from today
                            Groups feed the hungry, not the homeless
                            Meaning well, Gov. Neil Abercrombie and homelessness coordinator Marc Alexander are way off track saying that feeding homeless people doesn't solve Hawaii's homeless problem, so let's stop giving them food. We don't feed hungry people because they are homeless or not. We feed hungry people because they are hungry.
                            Father Marc needs to go to confession for asking Christ's followers in Hawaii to cease acts of Christian charity. Jesus said: "Depart from Me, you cursed into everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave me no drink …" (Matthew 25:41, 42).
                            Ron Valenciana
                            Haleiwa

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                              but (some) choose to be dirtbags (many of whom are collecting scam $ from the State),
                              Can you provide some evidence of that statement, or is that just your impression and perception?

Comment

Working...
                              X