The Descendants - George Clooney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Descendants - George Clooney

In case you missed it in ThePaper this week, a trailer for Clooney's "The Descendants" is circulating. Film debuts in mid-December:

http://www.honolulupulse.com/movies-...ndants-trailer

Re: The Descendants - George Clooney

Saw The Descendants last night at the Ward Theater.

My initial reaction of a long ago upon learning of this movie was not to go, then when I saw the trailer in the Apple Movie site, then I changed my mind about seeing this movie which was also tagged as a comedy as well as drama, not as a primary movie to see but as a possible second choice like last night at around 7:30 pm while standing in a medium sized line to pick up a ticket for The Muppets, which I couldn't see the next time it was playing but I did see that next showing of The Descendants was at 8pm. However the line was moving fast enough so that I could see that The Muppets was also playing at 8pm so I ended up watching it. After The Muppets was over, the was still time to catch another movie so I figured I go to see The Descendants next.

Overall the movie is kind of a mixed bag of stuff of movie storytelling, like a voiceover for most of the movie, travel by map for the flying scenes, lots of scenes of Oahu and Kauai, with some scenes of the Big Island. Lots of slack key guitar playing as background music, a mixed of roles going to local and out of state actors, mostly sad themed drama, some comedy.

For the most part the movie kind of portarys Hawaiian geography pretty well except for two parts. It was stated in the movie that the land the main character was about to sell was in Hanapape, however the cousin that drove them there was heading to Hanalei which is in the opposite direction. And the land in question didn't look at it was on Kauai to being with.

If the Varisty Theater was still around this would be the kind of movie that would be shown there.

Comment

My wife and I want to see it.
      Sounds like a fun and interesting date night movie!
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I will wait for Netflix, but I deff wanna see this!
        flickr

An email from God:
        To: People of Earth
        Date: 9/04/2007
        Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
        God

Comment

The Hon Weekly devoted 2 pages and praised it highly.

I'm going.
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I'm looking forward to seeing it. They filmed one of the major scenes next to where I work so I got to see some of the stars and hang out for a short time with some of the crew. BUT.... I think that many on HT will have problems and complain about the film because they tend to take locally made films a little too literally. Those who can get past the fact that cars aren''t going the right way to get somewhere, or that Kauai sometimes looks like Kualoa, or that they are driving towards Hawaii Kai to get to the airport (or those who take this sentence too literally ), I think they will enjoy the movie.

and its already getting heavy Oscar buzz.
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
              [...]
              and its already getting heavy Oscar buzz.
              That, it is! Both the movie and George Clooney. I'm so happy for Kaui Hemmings...and our local crew and talent. And, I agree with you about the "literals", anapuni!!! It's fun to pick out all those "idiosyncracies", but to take them seriously to the point of saying they ruin a movie is a bit over the top. Just my 2 centavos...

Comment

I saw it again last night at the Ward Theater with a friend.

I have to correct myself on the previous post from watching this the second time. The main character and his relatives only state that the land is on Kauai but they never said where it was on Kauai other than its between Lihue airport and Hanalei during the driving scene from one of the cousins.

How Hanapepe got mention in the movie was from the mother of one of the classmates of the youngest daughter of the main character. The mother mentions that her husband is from Hanapepe.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  That, it is! Both the movie and George Clooney. I'm so happy for Kaui Hemmings...and our local crew and talent. And, I agree with you about the "literals", anapuni!!! It's fun to pick out all those "idiosyncracies", but to take them seriously to the point of saying they ruin a movie is a bit over the top. Just my 2 centavos...
                  This is totally off subject - but you need one more post to make 10,000! I think you should reply now!

Just sayin'..................................
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

My wife and I enjoyed ourselves at Kahala Mall and the 11:00 showing this morning.

I loved the story for soo many aspects.
                    Visuals, interpersonal family/friends relationships, family owned land holdings, laughter, tragedy...

Also hearing fellow movie watchers whisper various things throughout, laugh and sniffling too.

I suggest seeing it.

Comment

Saw it Sunday @ Ward - good picture and story, but not sure I would call it great. And it may be that I'm assessing "good" because there was/is so much familiar about it (film "stars" O`ahu and Kaua`i). But on the other hand, we're actually thinking of going a second time . . .

Ref: audience - could tell it resonated w the locals . . . quiet at appropriate times, surprised at the right times, etc.

Comment

Heidi Chang's piece on the soundtrack, from NPR's "Weekend Edition Sunday" 1-8-12.

Comment

That was great Leo! I read the whole article and loved the album insert photo of Gabby and da guys too.

Comment

Saw the movie this afternoon at Pearl Highlands, mainly older local crowd think because of the buzz that clooney just won the Golden Globe for Best Actor. Loved this movie! could relate to the movie, great job, bravo!

Comment

The Descendants also won best movie.

Comment

Working...
                              X