Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaiian Airlines' New Mileage Policy

http://www.khon2.com/news/local/stor...tfNxynbhQ.cspx

There will probably be more empty seats on flights because mileage will be basically nothing. An interisland ticket buyer will choose Go Airlines if they still have the 500 miles points on any interisland flight.

Re: Hawaiian Airlines' New Mileage Policy

Not me - you could give me 5,000 miles per trip & I STILL wouldn't fly GO airlines!
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
      Not me - you could give me 5,000 miles per trip & I STILL wouldn't fly GO airlines!
      Out of curiosity, why Ana? I know nothing about GO.
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

HAL has even cut off the complementary in-flight entertainment for coach passengers. No more free movies on the mainland flights. Gotta swipe a credit card in order to watch it now.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Matapule - GO came here a few years ago, cut prices drastically and killed Aloha Airlines. Well, maybe not entirely but it seemed that way. I was a very loyal Aloha customer. Besides all the hundreds of folks who very suddenly lost their jobs - I had a lot of mileage stacked up and it was just all gone. No, I just refuse to fly GO on principle. Maybe silly but its just the way I feel.
          Last edited by anapuni808; May 28, 2011, 02:16 AM.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

The new mileage policy sucks.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Just a bit of background on the airline industry.

My oldest is in mid-level management with a major airline (one that doesn't fly to 808). Her airline, along with most of the others have been running at a deficit for the last several years. Management has been asked to take a "voluntary" pay cut each year in order to keep the airline solvent (she is not a six figure employee). My daughter has seen her pay go down over the last few years while her workload has been increased by 40%. Airfares have been unrealistically low. Airlines cannot survive on $99 (or $399) fares from the mainland to 808. So the alternatives are to raise fares or cut benefits (mileage plans, complimentary luggage, complimentary meals, complimentary entertainment, complimentary pillows, etc.) All that extra luggage costs money by requiring extra fuel. I know a number of people who think nothing of stealing headphones, pillows, and blankets from the airlines. Those cost money and the current airfares don't cover all the costs. Cost of fuel is one of the major expenses along with salary and benefits for Union employees (pilots, flight staff, ground crew).

So, we consumers can name our poison - raise fares or cut benefits or lose service. Most airlines have incorporated a combination of all three to remain solvent or.......god forbid.........even make a small profit. Which of the 3 alternatives would the HT ohana choose?

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I understand being loyal to a brand(airline) though holding a grudge over any company doing the capitalist/american equivalent of winning doesn't make sense to me. Things change... not always for the better, but change they will.
                "go!Mokulele provides you with affordable, fast, reliable service between all major Hawai'i airports. Offering great low fares since 2006, go!Mokulele now offers up to 110 flights per day between Honolulu, Kahului, Lihu'e, Kona, Hilo, Moloka'i and Lana'i. go!Mokulele jet service is operated by Mesa Airlines, Inc. Founded in 1982, Mesa Air Group operates as US Airways Express and United Express under contractual agreements with US Airways and United Airlines, respectively, and independently as go!Mokulele. The Company, founded by Larry and Janie Risley in New Mexico in 1982, has approximately 3,500 employees and was awarded Regional Airline of the Year by Air Transport World magazine in 1992 and 2005." http://www.iflygo.com/Default.aspx

When I recently needed a flight from Hilo to Honolulu I went to the Hawaiian Air counter first, but they were completely booked for the day. So I then went to the Go!Mokulele counter and got a flight home. I believe Go! was more expensive than Hawaiian would have been though.

"Hawaiian Airlines was incorporated on January 30, 1929 under the name Inter-Island Airways Ltd. That year, thousands gathered in Honolulu to witness the departure of Hawaii's first scheduled inter-island flights to Maui and the Big Island of Hawaii. The fleet was comprised of two eight-passenger Sikorsky S-38 amphibian planes; six years later, larger 16-passenger Sikorsky S-43s were added to accommodate increased traffic and newly authorized inter-island airmail service.

In 1941, Inter-Island changed its name to Hawaiian Airlines and introduced the 24-passenger DC-3 into Hawaiian skies. This flying workhorse was the mainstay of our fleet and became vital during wartime operations when all inter-island traffic was placed under military control.

The advent of commercial jet service in the 1960s resulted in dramatically increased air traffic to and from Hawaii. In 1966, we added our first pure jet inter-island aircraft, the McDonnell Douglas DC-9. Travel time between the islands was reduced to a mere 20-30 minutes, allowing residents and visitors unprecedented access to neighboring islands. The following two decades would see the addition of world charter service, daily flights to the west coast, and scheduled service throughout the South Pacific.

Our flawless safety and premium service started catching the attention of international travel publications, causing Conde Nast Traveler to rate us one of the word’s safest airlines in 1990. The awards have been coming in steadily ever since—check out Awards and Recognition to see what we mean.

Fast forward to 2001. We began a comprehensive fleet modernization program with the delivery of 13 new Boeing 717-200 aircraft that would completely replace our DC-9 fleet. In 2002 and 2003, we completely replaced our widebody DC-10 fleet with 14 Boeing 767-300ER aircraft. Even more recently, we added our first long-range Airbus A330-200 aircraft in April 2010 (with plans to add 27 more by the end of the decade). As a result, Hawaiian Airlines' fleet is now among the youngest in the industry.

Today, Hawaiian Airlines carries an average 8 million customers a year and serves 20 domestic and international destinations in the Pacific region. In North America, it provides daily service to Hawaii from more cities than any other airline. While plenty has changed throughout the years, one thing hasn’t: our commitment to service, safety, and the spirit of aloha." http://www.hawaiianair.com/HawaiianMiles

Love that last line... 'and the spirit of aloha.'
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

It has been about 2 years since I ran into problems with Go and their bad attitude about customer service. I still won't fly them if I have a choice.

["Besides the bad will (or bad karma) they are making by having overhead bins that only accomodate "less than industry standards" sized carryon luggage, and then charging $20 to check in a standard size carryon. Many airlines have smaller bins and will check in the carryons at no charge. Due to that "money grab" to unsuspecting passengers, I'll never fly them again if I have a choice.]
                  It was not that they could not fit a normal size carry on, it was that they charged to check it, plus they were rude about it to boot.

I don't know what their current size limitations are .... I don't fly them anymore. But if I had to, I'd be sure to take as carry on only "soft sided" luggage, not one with frames or wheels. A soft sided luggage can be crammed into their "check your luggage size" box a the airport. A hard framed carry on cannot.
                  Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                    I understand being loyal to a brand(airline) though holding a grudge over any company doing the capitalist/american equivalent of winning doesn't make sense to me.
                    Doesn't make sense to me, either, for anyone to complain about HAL slashing the rewards on their miles program.... while at the same time, saying that they won't fly go! because...... well, just because.

The cutbacks that HAL is doing is the kind of stuff that a company will do if they think their customers will tolerate it and continue to patronize them, no matter what. You want HAL to know that you're not happy with the changes they are making in their Hawn. Miles program? Then don't fly with them. Go with another carrier. Speaking with your money is a whole lot more effective than writing a dozen complaint letters.

With all that said, I think that HAL's manuever will end up backfiring on them. I can understand making smaller reward cutbacks, adding some restrictions, or reducing the points that are earned from non-airline purchases. But making drastic cutbacks on miles earned from airfare purchases are penalizing the people that are already their good customers.

I repeat: The only way for HAL to get the message are for those consumers to take their interisland airfare business elsewhere. Fly go! or Island Air. HAL is not going to change just because you write them a letter telling them that your feelings are hurt. Oh boo-hoo!
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                      The cutbacks that HAL is doing is the kind of stuff that a company will do if they think their customers will tolerate it and continue to patronize them, no matter what.
                      It is a matter of survival. Evidently, HAL has chosen to cut back in services rather than raise prices.

You want HAL to know that you're not happy with the changes they are making in their Hawn. Miles program? Then don't fly with them. Go with another carrier. Speaking with your money is a whole lot more effective than writing a dozen complaint letters.
                      Sure, don't fly with them and watch them go out of business. Check their financial statements! You do know how to read a financial statement, right?

With all that said, I think that HAL's manuever will end up backfiring on them. I can understand making smaller reward cutbacks, adding some restrictions, or reducing the points that are earned from non-airline purchases. But making drastic cutbacks on miles earned from airfare purchases are penalizing the people that are already their good customers.
                      It is a delicate dance....raise fares or cut back on services or reduce unprofitable routes.

I repeat: The only way for HAL to get the message are for those consumers to take their interisland airfare business elsewhere. Fly go! or Island Air. HAL is not going to change just because you write them a letter telling them that your feelings are hurt. Oh boo-hoo!
                      You are taking a simplistic approach. If you and the rest stop flying HAL, they will go out of business. Once HAL is out of the picture then GO and Island Air will raise their prices in order to make a profit. There is no "free lunch" in the airline business. Bottom line is that fares ar too low for an airline to make a profit. If no profit, then there is no incentive to stay in business.

Comment

FM - I was not the one who started this thread. I did not complain about HAL cutting its mileage program. I made a statement about the comparison to GO airlines mileage program. I fly so rarely that a mileage program doesn't mean much to me anyway. It doesn't matter what my reasons are for not choosing to fly with GO airlines. I don't have to justify that to anyone and most especially not to YOU.

and MM - my "loyalty" was not to any particular airline. It was to the one who gave me the best service and when Aloha was still in business, thats where I went to buy a ticket. I don't fly much anymore so I am happy with Hawaiian. if I had a choice in the matter - I would never fly at all.
                        Last edited by anapuni808; May 28, 2011, 04:06 PM.
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

FM - I was not the one who started this thread. I did not complain about HAL cutting its mileage program. I made a statement about the comparison to GO airlines mileage program. I fly so rarely that a mileage program doesn't mean much to me anyway. It doesn't matter what my reasons are for not choosing to fly with GO airlines. I don't have to justify that to anyone and most especially not to YOU.
                          Obviously, you don't have to justify any of your consumer decisions to me or to anyone else here.

You may not have started this thread, complaining about HAL's rewards program policy change. However, you did chime in with your thoughts re: go! airlines into the discussion. So if your sentiments about go! airlines have nothing to do with the discussion re: modifications to the Hawn. Miles program, then I have to wonder why you chose this thread to make your statement. (There are existing threads that are devoted to the interisland airline industry in general. Or of course, one can always start a new thread devoted to go! airlines in particular.)

Nonetheless, I apologize if you took my statement personally. You've made it clear that my words do not apply to you. However, I stand behind my thoughts about those locals who incessantly complain about HAL's service, and yet refuse to patronize go! or Island Air. There are people like that out there.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                            Just a bit of background on the airline industry.
                            So, we consumers can name our poison - raise fares or cut benefits or lose service. Most airlines have incorporated a combination of all three to remain solvent or.......god forbid.........even make a small profit. Which of the 3 alternatives would the HT ohana choose?
                            However, I stand behind my thoughts about those locals who incessantly complain about HAL's service, and yet refuse to patronize go! or Island Air. There are people like that out there.
                            I sympathize with the airlines losing so much money, especially due to the price of fuel. I agree that they've done it to themselves by trying to undercut the competition to the point that it comes down to which airlines have the reserves to deliberately "starve" themselves in order to gain/keep customers until they choke the competitors into throwing in the towel.

If given the choice, I'd rather they raise fares rather than nickel and dime me for every little thing as I go along. I'd rather pay up front and then not worry about it, settle into my seat in peace and quiet (a relative thing, I know), as opposed to now, when I'm constantly having to fiddle with my purse for a credit card for every little previously "free" amenitiy.

I've never complained about HAL's service, and I also won't choose to fly go! for multiple reasons (my ex was an Aloha pilot, so heard much from him, plus my one experience with Go! wasn't a good experience). However, this latest move simply moves me closer and closer to the reality that flying these days has come to picking between the lesser of many evils instead of the "adventure" and real start to my vacation that it used to be.
                            Last edited by AbsolutChaos; May 28, 2011, 06:26 PM.

Comment

--- --- ---
                              Never mind.
                              While someone works himself out of a self-inflicted tizzy,....

Comment

Working...
                              X