Puka Dogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puka Dogs?

I spent the afternoon with our neighbors from Houston/Cabo San Lucas. They told me they made their first ever trip to HI last January and loved it. They stayed at the Marriott at Ko Olina.

They said their favorite Kaukau place was Puka Dogs in Honolulu. They said they would have trouble finding it again. Evidently there is just one location on Oahu and another on some "other island."

I have never heard of this place. Anybody have any feedback on Puka Dogs?
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Re: Puka Dogs?

I'd never heard of it and apparently I'm not the only one:
    "I find it ironic that they even offer a kama'aina discount since this place is unheard of by most locals."
    It's on Kuhio in Waikiki and has received good reviews on Yelp. I'm not a fan of hot dogs so doubt I'll check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      I'm not a fan of hot dogs so doubt I'll check it out.
      From the way Tom and Kathy described it to me, it is Portagee sausage. Would that make it any more palatable?

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

The other island is Kauai. See www.pukadog.com.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
          From the way Tom and Kathy described it to me, it is Portagee sausage. Would that make it any more palatable?
          I'd prefer a chicken/gouda/apple sausage and a multi-grain bun!

Comment

I first heard about this place on Food Network. Been there a couple of times.

They do have a vegetarian version too, just an FYI for any who want to try it but don't eat meat. The fun lies more in all the tropical fruit relishes that you can add. I'm not so big a fan of the fact that there's way more bun than hot dog, though.

Comment

Yuck! that's all fruits, nuts, and flakes! Sounds like it is a Granola Dog or Puke-a-dog. Hey Tutu, maybe you're on to something there.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                Yuck! that's all fruits, nuts, and flakes! Sounds like it is a Granola Dog or Puke-a-dog. Hey Tutu, maybe you're on to something there.
                Nah...just don't like traditional weiners...there can be more in there than meets the eye. Nor do I like white bread...there's less in there than meets the eye!

Comment

I thought for sure it was a well known place?!

LOVED it, especially good after a few tropical beverages, cough cough, but wow. I thought it was kinda common knowledge, especially with the crowd.
                  flickr

An email from God:
                  To: People of Earth
                  Date: 9/04/2007
                  Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                  God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                    I thought for sure it was a well known place?!
                    I thought it was kinda common knowledge, especially with the crowd.
                    The fact hasn't changed that most locals still avoid Waikiki unless they happen to live there. I live in Waiks, but I prefer to have fun with my friends downtown.

Comment

Agreed! Why aren't there any of those around here?!?! (Are you listening Puka Dog? You could expand your audience! In the meantime, there's always the chicken sausage at Hank's...)

This weekend for a potluck I'm planning to make a "Greek" version using Costco's roasted red pepper/spinach chicken sausage, combined with tzatziki sauce, feta, and maybe pita or or naan bread.

Comment

Now you're talkin', AC!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
                          The fact hasn't changed that most locals still avoid Waikiki unless they happen to live there. I live in Waiks, but I prefer to have fun with my friends downtown.
                          I agree, and avoided most of it, except besides working there.
                          flickr

An email from God:
                          To: People of Earth
                          Date: 9/04/2007
                          Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                          God

Comment

Working...
                          X