Na Hoku: Congrats, Napua

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Na Hoku: Congrats, Napua

Congrats to family friend Napua Makua on her Female Vocalist award for her album Mohalu!

Re: Na Hoku: Congrats, Napua

Good for them all, but I was at the Marriott last nite for some great laid back Hawaiian music with Bobby Ingano on steel, Martin Pahinui, George Kuo and crew, no need for Hoku's.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Ummm, Ron, Pohaku's thread is about Napua...not what you did or didn't do last night.

Comment

Glad there is lots of good music going on. I'm just excited for the Makuas

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          Ummm, Ron, Pohaku's thread is about Napua...not what you did or didn't do last night.
          Great for Napua and her support, and I've learned of another local artist whom, from all I can tell doesn't incorporate the Hawaiian steel guitar, that I might even care about. But if it's restricted to Napua, then this might be yet another quick freefalling thread, as in fact there isn't a lot of truly good music going on, and I doubt too many more care much about the old hat Hoku's than what I do, therefore... wait til you hear about tonite!

To help prolong the celebration of Napua's victory and being, what can we learn about her from those that can share?

From last year http://news.yahoo.com/video/honolulu...makua-22095459

Comment

Ron, what is your criteria for "truly good" music?
            Last edited by anapuni808; May 30, 2011, 04:25 PM.
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Gabby and his pals comes to mind for local music, Alfred Apaka, Pua Almeida, the Rogers family, the Hawaii Calls gang of 50 years, of course Iz had some awesome stuff, that was the nadir.

These day's I'd almost go for just what doesn't totally suck. To answer your question completely you'd have to spend the year listening to my collection, most of which REALLY sucks to many, which only proves my point There is lots of really good music out these days, but it's not the stuff of legend, those days exist mainly in my collection, which is still expanding.

Sunday nite at the Marriott represented some of the current crop. Wednesday nite at Kanikapila Grill with Cyril Pahinui, steeler Jeff Au Hoy, Peter Moon Jr., Jeff Teves will too.

Comment

Ron, with all due respect to your tastes: "what doesn't totally suck" is not really a criteria as it is totally subjective to your own personal tastes. As is most music - we all like what we like. Plus, you seem to lean towards steel guitar. So, for you to just make the judgement that no good music can be found these days is really unfair to the hard-working musicians that are out there performing for the rest of us.

and BTW - your signature line that says "If you're in" Oahu? how can you be IN an island? I would think it should say "If you're ON" Oahu. Just sayin'......
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Pohaku View Post
                  Congrats to family friend Napua Makua on her Female Vocalist award for her album Mohalu!
                  I'll second that. She (and Hawai`i Islander Mark Yamanaka) were big winners last night, and most deservedly so. This is Napua's second album, and they are both incredibly good, strong Hawaiian releases. We were hoping she'd be able to come up Seattle-way last summer, but plans fell through.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                    Ron, with all due respect to your tastes: "what doesn't totally suck" is not really a criteria as it is totally subjective to your own personal tastes. As is most music - we all like what we like.

Plus, you seem to lean towards steel guitar. So, for you to just make the judgement that no good music can be found these days is really unfair to the hard-working musicians that are out there performing for the rest of us.
                    OK, I listed a few of my faves, now, not using your personal tastes, who today comes anywhere near the wide spectrum of extreme talent of those?

Yes, I more than lean towards steel, I promote it and the few players of today that I like every chance I get, but how does that lead to me saying there's NO good music to be found today, did I ever say that? I can go see really good local music most any nite of the year, just in town alone (or with somebody... ), but as years go by the best keep dying off so it gets harder. I'm just not into much that isn't top shelf, and it's a very high shelf, but yet I'm not too snobish to not just enjoy. Kinda like hula, there are lots of good hula dancers, but very few that REALLY have IT.

Comment

my bad - you didn't say NO good music. You said "not a lot" - there is a difference.
                      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

And a bigger difference between what was vs is, is that decades ago you could walk thru Waikiki/Honolulu and be barraged by great music at nearly every doorway (usually with steel guitar ), now you're lucky to find anything suitable 'somewhere' on any given nite.

Comment

Working...
                        X