Smaller cars in Hawaii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Smaller cars in Hawaii?

Instead of going into debt... tonight at midnight this '85 Toyota Tercel becomes mine!

She's clean, good mechanical condition, great gas mileage, has a manual transmission, and is a hatchback which I favor.
    Got the insurance from Flo at $237 for 6 months too! Registration will be $170 total.

Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
      Instead of going into debt... tonight at midnight this '85 Toyota Tercel becomes mine!
      Good choice MM. May you drive for years with pleasure. I can't believe that you were seduced by that slut, Flo! Personally, I have gone with that limey gecko for years.
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I am in favor of smaller cars. More parking area, less gas consumption.

Those in need of larger cars should pay equivalent taxes.
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
          1)Good choice MM. May you drive for years with pleasure. 2) I can't believe that you were seduced by that slut, Flo! 3) Personally, I have gone with that limey gecko for years.
          1) Thanks buddy!
          2) Like I said previously... I gotta little sumptin' goin' on for Flo.
          3) He looks like he'd make a good buddy for ya. Being an adventurous sort and all.
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

My mom was in the market for a small car, and after a lot of research and pointing on the road, the three finalists were the Honda Fit, the Toyota Yaris, and the Ford Fiesta. After some test drives, it came down to the Honda and Ford, and while the Honda was more expensive (and the Ford had many more options), we went with it.

I love it. Having driven large family vans for the past several years, it's a whole new world. When I fill up the Honda at the gas station, it costs under $40, when my van can cost up to $80. And it feels as if we go the same distance over the same number of days. That's a tangible difference in the pocketbook.

I'm glad to read of love for the Kia Soul. The terrifying day where I might have to consider a car for my daughter is much closer than I'd prefer, and the Kias have caught my eye. If it weren't for those horrible commercials with the rapping rats, I'd probably be even more open to them.

Comment

My Honda Insight lease is up next July and I plan to check out the Kia Soul due to the reviews I've read. I'll have to be really wowed, however, to switch from my hybrid! Like the Fit, the Insights fill-up is under $40. During the past 12 months I spent $351 on gas.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                My Honda Insight lease is up next July and I plan to check out the Kia Soul due to the reviews I've read. I'll have to be really wowed, however, to switch from my hybrid! Like the Fit, the Insights fill-up is under $40. During the past 12 months I spent $351 on gas.
                Tutu, check Consumers Reports, they do not have good things to say about the Soul (personally I have no experience with them). However they do not have good things to say about the Insight either. So pick your poison! I came very close to purchasing a Fit but opted for a 5 year old Ford Escape Hybrid instead. We are happy with our choice and plan to purchase another Escape Hybrid within 2 or 3 years. FWIW, the Escape Hybrid does not get as good gas mileage as your Insight, but it has a lot more interior space which is important to us.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Yes, I'm aware of the CR reviews. I factor them in with owner reviews. TS recommends the Insight!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                    ... When I fill up the Honda at the gas station, it costs under $40 ...
                    Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    ... the Insights fill-up is under $40 ...
                    I have yet to spend over $30 on a gas fill-up for my 1994 Saturn (usually, it's in the $23-25 range). Lucky you live Hawai`i, ah? (Oh, come on --- how often do I get to turn the tables li'dat on you lucky buggahs?)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      I have yet to spend over $30 on a gas fill-up for my 1994 Saturn (usually, it's in the $23-25 range). Lucky you live Hawai`i, ah? (Oh, come on --- how often do I get to turn the tables li'dat on you lucky buggahs?)
                      Nanny nanny boo boo!

The first year my fill-ups never hit $30. Then...all hell broke loose again and I'm paying about $37. Oh well...$40. was the cost for a half a tank for my previous car. Plus, it took premium...and it got 15 mpg!

Comment

If I come back, I'm bringing a big a** conversion van to live in, lol, and my motorcycle for transportation and revenge against ya'll's 47% tax on gas.
                        If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Originally posted by memorylane View Post
                          and my motorcycle for transportation
                          Seriously what kind of gas mileage does a motorcycle get? I really don't know.

Comment

I used to have a 500cc motorcycle in the early 90s, and the few times I bothered to calculate my mileage, I was getting about 50mpg. After that, I had a slightly modifed and far more powerful 750 that got about 35mpg.

The only reason why bikes get such good mileage is their obvious lack of mass. The engines are actually gas guzzlers for their size, and since they're not subject to the same Earth-friendly requirements as cars, they spew TONS of environmentally harmful emissions.

Comment

Working...
                            X