Marilyn Monroe: overrated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marilyn Monroe: overrated?

With newly released pix of the Hollywood icon, it renews my view that, while she was good looking and talented, she wasn't truly THAT good looking and talented, or am I missing something? Dying tends to make even more enormous stars out of them, and few actually 'live' up to the post-life mega-billing, like Jimi Hendrix, for one, does.
    She got really good towards the end of her life/career, who knows what could have been.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Marilyn Monroe: overrated?

I think she was gorgeous for her time. Looks have been redefined a few times since the '50s and early '60s!

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
      1)Dying tends to make even more enormous stars out of them, and few actually 'live' up to the post-life mega-billing, like Jimi Hendrix, for one, does.
      She got really good towards the end of her life/career, who knows what could have been.
      Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      2)I think she was gorgeous for her time. Looks have been redefined a few times since the '50s and early '60s!
      1) I was born in '62, the same year she died. Knew and saw her growing up and we're still enamored with her to today. So she had 'IT'. Whatever that is right?!

2) Yes lovely and yes to 'looks' change too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marilyn_Monroe
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
        With newly released pix of the Hollywood icon, it renews my view that, while she was good looking and talented, she wasn't truly THAT good looking and talented, or am I missing something? Dying tends to make even more enormous stars out of them, and few actually 'live' up to the post-life mega-billing, like Jimi Hendrix, for one, does.
        Celebrities who suffer an untimely death while at a young age certainly conjures up images of eternal youth. After all, there are no pictures of them getting old and out-of-shape. And yet, blonde starlets like Jayne Mansfield and Inger Stevens (both of them also dying in their 30s) never achieved the same iconic status that has been bestowed on Marilyn. Why? Who knows. Marilyn just had "it." Same as James Dean.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I think she was gorgeous for her time. Looks have been redefined a few times since the '50s and early '60s!
          I'm 100% with Tutu on this one. Plus it's not only her looks - her mannerisms and acting had a lot to do with it.
          While there may be some who could be considered 'eternally attractive,' there are many others who are icons for their time. Consider those who we tend to find attractive today; many of them would be considered weird or unattractive in the 1950's.
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Yeah Ron, you're missing something. I'm tempted to describe the breadth of your void, but you already have an inkling.
            May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Definitely not overrated. A candle in the wind, but a legend, like Elton sang.

Comment

a little before my time, but i have thought about what is considered beautiful changes over time, plump women used to be desired back in the renassaince right?

what was considered handsome back then, would guys like cary grant cut it now?
                and 40 years from now, will we look back and still think angelina's lips still lucious or jessica alba that hot? =p
                Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                  a little before my time, but i have thought about what is considered beautiful changes over time, plump women used to be desired back in the renassaince right?
                  Right! And guess who followed Marilyn Monroe during the mid '60s! TWIGGY!!!!!
                  what was considered handsome back then, would guys like cary grant cut it now?
                  Hell, yes! <fanning self!> Class remains constant.
                  and 40 years from now, will we look back and still think angelina's lips still lucious or jessica alba that hot? =p
                  They'll surely be remembered but there will be a new paradigm by then, not to mention several in between!

Comment

Class remains constant.
                    Possibly the ultimate statement for our times. Thank you.
                    But no, Cary would have to be under 30, and a world class surfer or 'rock star' to have any chance today. His looks are timeless, but not for today's mindless.

I prefer old school looks, I've been attracted to Marilyn since those early 60s too, so my perspective is on par with all your's. I've always been all over the map with her. She's intriguing because she covers so much ground in her looks, styles, chameleon-like character, from humble to classy demeanors, her comedic wit and heartbreaks, to iconic bombshell, and back to basics with her latter year not so flattering nude shots. So, for all that and her on screen talents, of course she's deserving of any/all accolades. However, she get's more eternal attention I think for her immortal JFK moment and trist, but mostly for her great ability to turn on the sexy charm to the extreme. You knew she'd demand your A game
                    But based on basic looks alone, which is what most base her on today and what piqued my interest yesterday, she often falls below the level of some, say Bettie Page as another wow kinda girl-next-door type, or Liz Taylor/Barbara Eden, to the super stunners like Sophia/Raquel.

Overrated or not, she'll always be THE image of Hollywood.
                    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                    X