X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooting rampage on 06/03/11

A lot of lives wrecked, and it started not too far from me:
    http://www.kitv.com/news/28122471/detail.html
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Re: Road rage & multiple gun victims

The gunman then shot a 54-year-old woman in a van multiple times including in the head, police said. There was a 16-year-old girl in the van who was not harmed, police said.
    "not harmed"? Indeed.
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

The 54-year-old has since died. Yeah, I think the teenager was 'harmed' by that.
      Apparently the idiot gunman was just shooting at random all over town. He also shot at two motorcycle cops, so the guy's a** is grass fer sure.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I heard the (Kapahulu area) shots last night shortly after getting home.
        Sounded like 6 or 7 shots I believe. Sheesh, too many guns out there.
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

The woman who died had 10 children. This story continues to get even more heartbreaking.

Comment

Gunman Toby Stangel pleaded no contest to previous felony firearms violation, but was not sentenced to prison. Instead, he was given 5 years probation, on the condition that he stay away from drugs and alcohol.

What happened while he was on probation? KHON reports:

Within a year and a half Stangel was arrested for operating a vehicle under the influence of an intoxicant.

Less than a year after that he was arrested for another misdemeanor -- criminal property damage in the third degree, found guilty and sentenced to a year probation.

Yet in August 2007 -- just three years into the five year deferral of the no contest plea on the firearms offense, Stangel's attorney made a motion for early discharge -- the prosecutor's office objected, but the judge granted it, and dismissed the firearms charge.
            Stangel had not been under any court supervision since 2007.
            Can you beat that? When he committed additional criminal offenses while on probation, Stangel did not get sent to prison. No! As a matter of fact, the judge REWARDED the man with an early discharge of the probation.

Looks like the lenient state judge syndrome strikes again.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

The before and after photo of him shows a meth user.
              Does he have a facebook page?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                [...]When he committed additional criminal offenses while on probation, Stangel did not get sent to prison. No! As a matter of fact, the judge REWARDED the man with an early discharge of the probation.[...]
                Any way to find out who the judge was?
                Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                The before and after photo of him shows a meth user.
                Does he have a facebook page?
                I noticed the difference in his photos, too. The photo at the top of the article shows him to be more gaunt. Yes, he does have an FB page but he has the privacy settings set pretty high.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                  Sheesh, too many guns out there.
                  Did the gun wake up and decide to go ultra nuts in public, did the gun not do it's job in protecting the public by allowing this shit to violate probation and still walk the streets?
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                    Did the gun wake up and decide to go ultra nuts in public, did the gun not do it's job in protecting the public by allowing this shit to violate probation and still walk the streets?
                    I feel there's too many guns out there. 'Nuf said.
                    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I'm sure the same judge won't be as lenient to the respectable citizen who "randomly offs" Stangel in a freak accident done on purpose. Apparently this crooked Hawaiian judge must have some special love for the meth addicts. Or... consider it an opportunity that he's on the street. The highway can be a pretty dangerous place, especially with the quality of drivers here. Never know who can get run over a few times.

Comment

I feel there's too many guns out there. 'Nuf said.
                        One more, in the hands of a trained, sober, law-abiding citizen, could have ended it early. If you're methed up, targets are a little harder to hit when they shoot back more accurately.

Comment

I feel there's too many guns out there.
                          Originally posted by bjd392 View Post
                          One more, in the hands of a trained, sober, law-abiding citizen, could have ended it early.
                          One is too many.

It wouldn't have helped this poor woman/family, but I'm all for the ability to immediately defend, protect, and if need be eliminate, now that the killers have the advantage.
                          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                            Gunman Toby Stangel pleaded no contest to previous felony firearms violation, but was not sentenced to prison. Instead, he was given 5 years probation, on the condition that he stay away from drugs and alcohol.
                            When he committed additional criminal offenses while on probation, Stangel did not get sent to prison. No! As a matter of fact, the judge REWARDED the man with an early discharge of the probation.

Looks like the lenient state judge syndrome strikes again.
                            No matter how many new gun laws are made to mollify us into thinking we are safe, if those laws are not upheld and the perpetrators keep getting released to strike again we will keep having incidents like this.

No matter how many guns are 'out there' doesn't matter, it's how many criminals who are being let off by a broken system which causes additional tragedies.
                            Last edited by Kaonohi; June 4, 2011, 04:55 PM.
                            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                            ~ ~
                            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Re: Road rage & multiple lawbreaker victims

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                              This brings us back to the thread title, which I think is incorrect.

There was one gun victim, the perpetrator. The others were perpetrator victims.
                              This may be a bit obscure if you're an anti-gun nut, so I'll explain.

The perpetrator used a gun to commit crimes. The gun made it easier for him to commit multiple crimes, though he could have walked down Hotel street with a baseball bat and killed and injured as many people.

A gun is a tool as innocent as a hammer, bat, knife, screwdriver or automobile - all of which can and have been used to kill. A gun can take lives or save lives, depending on how it is used. Same with all the other above-mentioned tools.

Bottom line, this person should not have had access to a gun, or a car, both of which facilitated the homicides and injuries. Without a gun he might have just run over pedestrians (even more fatal than shooting!) instead.

We have laws in Hawai`i to keep guns out of the hands of such people. These laws were not upheld, and that is why those people died.

More laws won't help. Fewer guns? The only guns you can remove are the ones owned by law-abiding citizens; the illegal guns will still be there in the hands of lawbreakers.

Simplistic solutions do not solve complex problems.
                              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                              ~ ~
                              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                              X