Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shooting rampage on 06/03/11

Originally posted by Amati View Post
    What a self-righteousness [holier-than-thou] attitude. Someone in the clergy does not live up to your "higher standard of conduct and accountability" while they are grieving? I've been around for many a year, and have never seen or heard of these supposed "higher standards and accountability" that are imposed on clergy during grief.
    There's no doubt that Toby Stangel's family is going through something that is unthinkable. As a parent, I can't even begin to imagine the emotions that would be felt if one of my children committed a heinous crime like Toby's. All I know is it would be like a terrible nightmare involving your child that you never wake up from.

Be that as it may, the Stangels are not the only ones suffering from this tragedy involving their son. I'm sure the families of Amie Lou Asuncion and Samson Naupoto have a lot of questions and concerns going their mind as far as their loved one begin the process of making a physical and emotional recovery from the incident.

Then of course, what is the family of the late Tammy Nguyen going through? I won't even begin to list the emotions they are experiencing. All that can be said here is that an irreplaceable part of their lives up til now is gone. A beloved wife and mother of 10 has suddenly been taken away from the Nguyens. And there's no explanation for it, other than she was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

And what is the state of mind for Tammy's 16 year old daughter, who was the passenger in that minivan on that tragic early morning drive? Once again, words fail to describe what that girl is going through, except to say that the horrific memories from that day is something that can never be erased. How can it be otherwise for anyone to be a next seat witness to their mother being fatally shot in the head?

Finally, there's the members of the North Shore Christian Fellowship Church. The local TV news depts. said camera crews to their Sunday worship service, where they set aside their regular format and focused on the tragic incident. Prayers were said for the victims and for Toby. Everyone at that service had a look of sadness and disbelief. The other pastors in the church referred to Toby as "family." Judging by the way the parishoners conducted themselves at the church, not to mention a handful of them showing up at court the following day, the statement of Toby being regarded as family by the church as a whole was genuine and real. Their range of emotions and distress may not match those who are related to Toby by blood. But still, for those folks who saw Toby grow up before their eyes,.... how could they be devoid of any feelings of grief over what has happened? It wouldn't be far-fetched to think that some parishoners may be having their religious faith tested during this crisis.

All of the people I described above are suffering, in one form or another. What it takes to relieve it... nobody can say. With some people, there can be no comfort for a long, long time. All that the parties in this sad affair can do now is to reach out to one another and to offer support.

In the midst of his family's own personal crisis, Mike Stangel is the senior pastor of a now grieving church consisting of some 400 adults and 200 children. In addition, there are families outside of that church who are dealing with the impact of last Saturday's tragedy.

There are many Christian churches that people can go to. Exactly which one a person chooses to go to depends on many factors. But a major one centers around the pastor. It is a heavy responsibility to be a shepherd for a flock of Christian worshippers. It's not an ordinary secular job, like being a realtor or a factory worker. The term "pillar of the community" is often thrown around,... but it is a role that a leader of a prominent church can't back away from. Esp. not during a crisis.

This is why I don't think Pastor Stangel has the option of keeping himself in isolation indefinitely. As a pillar of the community, he will eventually have to reach out to those families of the victims in person, share in their grief over their loved one, and offer them support.

And finally, in his role as a pastor, he will eventually have to to face his flock waiting for him back home.

Now if anyone here thinks that what I've outlined in the last 2 paragraphs is something that a church pastor/minister can shirk away from, even in the midst of a crisis in their own family.... whatever. All I can say is that their expectations of a man of God is lower than mine's. If that makes me "self-righteous" in their minds, then I can only imagine what goes their mind when it comes to taking on religious vows.

Please clue us all in on where we can find information on these standards, especially related to the location that the clergy must be in during grieving.... please tell us where these "standard" are, besides in your pathetic and hateful mind.
    So you declare me to be "pathetic and hateful." And this, after you lambast me for being "self-righteous."

First, remove the rafter from your eye....
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
      I don't think Pastor Stangel has the option of keeping himself in isolation indefinitely. As a pillar of the community, he will eventually have to reach out to those families of the victims in person, share in their grief over their loved one, and offer them support.
      Not only that, but as a pastor, he should be intimately familiar with the "healing powers" of his community. His family could likely benefit from receiving some of that support as well.

Comment

But I do find it off-putting that they are not coming back from their Disneyland vacation after something like this has happened back home.
        But there are family members of the victims who are shocked and grieving. Being that Mike Stagel is a pastor, I wonder why this supposed man of God can't bring himself to offer personal condolences to those whose lives have been changed forever from the events of Saturday.
        You can speculate about what you think Pastor Stangel might have done behind the scenes. I'm just stickin' to the facts. The man hasn't come back from his vacation in Califonia and he hasn't offered any condolences in person to the victims' families.
        If they were ordinary citizens in the community, then yeah. I would agree. But I hold church leaders to a higher standard of conduct and accountability
        The term "pillar of the community" is often thrown around,... but it is a role that a leader of a prominent church can't back away from. Esp. not during a crisis.

This is why I don't think Pastor Stangel has the option of keeping himself in isolation indefinitely. As a pillar of the community, he will eventually have to reach out to those families of the victims in person, share in their grief over their loved one, and offer them support.

And finally, in his role as a pastor, he will eventually have to to face his flock waiting for him back home.

Now if anyone here thinks that what I've outlined in the last 2 paragraphs is something that a church pastor/minister can shirk away from, even in the midst of a crisis in their own family.... whatever. All I can say is that their expectations of a man of God is lower than mine's. If that makes me "self-righteous" in their minds, then I can only imagine what goes their mind when it comes to taking on religious vows.

So you declare me to be "pathetic and hateful." And this, after you lambast me for being "self-righteous.".
        I'd earlier posted:
        All right, I can go with that (ie "too harsh" of words). I'd edit if I still could, to lighten the language.

Meanwhile, I have not changed my opinion that chastising a grieving family for not .... coming back to Hawaii fast enough because the father is clergy.... is that the ridiculous complaint? .... is indeed self-righteousness.
        Yep, your attitude towards the pastor who is handling his family crisis, in addition to his grief over the tragedy for the victims and their families, is self-righteous.
        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

All right, I can go with that (ie "too harsh" of words). I'd edit if I still could, to lighten the language.

Meanwhile, I have not changed my opinion that chastising a grieving family for not .... coming back to Hawaii fast enough because the father is clergy.... is that the ridiculous complaint?
          I guess you missed the part where I said:

Still, he's going to have to face the victim's family members, sooner or later. As a senior pastor of such a large congregation in the community, how could he not?
          Hmmm. "Sooner or later." Most people wouldn't exactly regard that as a timetable along the lines of: "He needs to get back here. Now. ON THE DOUBLE!!!"

I'm just saying that as a pastor, he eventually is going to have to fulfill his responsibilities to the victims' families and to his church. It's not something that can be put off indefinitely without compromising his position in the community.

.... is indeed self-righteousness.
          Most unfortunate that you use a post clarifying your earlier statement as yet another opportunity to lob a personal attack.

Oh well. Rather than respond in kind, I'll just say that this is something we'll have to agree to disagree on.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I'll just say that this is something we'll have to agree to disagree on.
            Well, we at least do agree on something.
            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
              I'm glad you've escaped meth. I hear it's crazy addictive?
              Most addiction is primarily psychological, even with some drugs being very physically addictive. Any person can get off any drug anytime they want, but they are doing what they want to do, even when they know it's bad or even killing them. Until they truly want to stop, and I mean stop, they won't. I've done prolly everything out there pre-2000, even cigarettes, and enjoyed it all except for the one time I did ice. Never had a problem with freebasing, forerunner of ice, but knew to keep it regulated. I don't know why ice didn't like me. Some drugs are too fun and people just can't/won't maintain balance in their lifestyles and pay extreme prices for that inability, as always, luck kept me alive and happy. We've lost too many to drugs, in too many ways.
              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                they are doing what they want to do, even when they know it's bad or even killing them. Until they truly want to stop, and I mean stop, they won't.
                True true. I think that applies to almost every vice, hence your point about it being mostly psychological. Thanks for sharing your insights.
                "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                "
                Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                  Most addiction is primarily psychological, even with some drugs being very physically addictive. Any person can get off any drug anytime they want, but they are doing what they want to do, even when they know it's bad or even killing them. Until they truly want to stop, and I mean stop, they won't. I've done prolly everything out there pre-2000, even cigarettes, and enjoyed it all except for the one time I did ice. Never had a problem with freebasing, forerunner of ice, but knew to keep it regulated. I don't know why ice didn't like me. Some drugs are too fun and people just can't/won't maintain balance in their lifestyles and pay extreme prices for that inability, as always, luck kept me alive and happy. We've lost too many to drugs, in too many ways.
                  Addiction is what it is. Whether phycho or physio,it doesn't matter.
                  Getting off an addiction is a difficult process; some can do it easily, others struggle more. Important is support, from 12-step, spiritual, or just close-related groups, this is something one needs assistance.
                  Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                  ~ ~
                  Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                  Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                  Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Isn't it possible the "before" photo was not sized correctly. I mean his face does look a bit flattened from the top down as if the sizing ratio was off a bit.

Okay so I doctored it a bit making his face longer and narrower:
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by craigwatanabe; June 7, 2011, 07:36 PM.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I'm guessing that this guy Stengel was enabled by people who knew him. He was driving a BMW. So, he didn't have to worry about having a roof over his head. That's why his meth use physical features wasn't as bad as a homeless meth user.

Comment

Re: Road rage & multiple gun victims

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        Any way to find out who the judge was?
                        The Star-Advertiser id'ed that judge today.

In March 2007 Stangel asked the court to end its supervision and to dismiss the firearm charge early. In support of that request, Deputy Public Defender Timothy Ho submitted a written declaration attesting to Stangel’s eligibility for early release.

On the date Ho submitted his declaration, Stangel had already been found guilty of two other crimes.

Honolulu police stopped Stangel on March 16, 2005, for speeding. Speeding is a traffic violation, not a crime. However, police also arrested Stangel for drunken driving.

Then in January 2006, police arrested Stangel for misdemeanor criminal property damage.

At the end of the hearing, Circuit Judge Virginia Crandall dismissed the gun possession charge and released Stangel from court supervision.
                        There you have it folks. Virginia Crandall.

If her name sounds familiar in these parts, it should. She's already been immortalized in my judiciary hall of shame thread.

Judges are human and are capable of making mistakes. But in Judge Crandall's case, her questionable rulings and decisions seem to be higher than the norm. And now, this latest blunder involving Toby Stangel has resulted in real damage to society.

Now the really BAD news: Virginia Crandall was reappointed to a 10 year term only a couple of month ago. Looks like our state is stuck with this incompetent magistrate on the Circuit Court until 2021.

Comment

Can judges be impeached?!

Comment

All I can say is what I THINK I would do if I were in Pastor Stangle's position - I would return to my home immediately. But that's just me. Most people appear to do things differently than me would.
                            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              Can judges be impeached?!
                              Removal of Judges in Hawai`i: The commission on judicial conduct has the authority to investigate and conduct hearings concerning allegations of judicial misconduct or disability and to recommend to the supreme court that a judge be reprimanded, disciplined, suspended, retired, or removed. (from the website of the American Judicature Society)

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                                Addiction, whether phycho or physio doesn't matter.
                                I'd have to say very much, not so. The mind is where the whole matter lies, it allows you to go there and every reason to stay there, even apathy. No physical drug addiction ever made me keep doing anything for long, once I knew the game, but many can't find it within themselves to overcome the mental aspects to stay on an even keel or just drop it.

Craig, that really changed the look to plausible for me, thanx.
                                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                                X