Sudden loss of satellite use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sudden loss of satellite use

I'm wondering what proceedures our Gov. officials have in reserve and ready to go should we have our power grid go down, defense in limbo, and communications satellites knocked out from a solar flare or attack or ?, is there anything in place for WHEN this occurs? I've heard of nothing. In short time we could see millions here in Hawaii go into a civil tizzy real quick should virtually everything we use via electronics, information, communications, food/water access, business, come to a halt. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...vastation.html
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Sudden loss of satellite use

Funny, I just finished a Sci-Fi novel called "Space Wars" that dealt with this exact scenario. One rogue group was targeting and disabling navigation satellites, then... well, I don't want to spoil it for you, but in short, knocking out each others satellites started WW-III.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

For comminucations in Hawaii not every thing goes thru satellites. Telephone and computer communication goes thru undersea cables.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
        [...]In short time we could see millions here in Hawaii go into a civil tizzy...[...]
        Good news! It won't be as bad as you think. At under 1.4M residents, we're nowhere near "millions"!

Comment

Losing the electrical system is bad. Our society is heavily dependent on it. Food spoiling in our freezer will be the least of our worries.

Another important system, which happens to depend on electricity, is our water supply. We need juice to run those water pumps. Without drinking water, we'll die in around 3 days. Water provides sanitation, which prevents disease outbreaks. Water = life.

The question isn't whether the government is prepared for disaster, it's whether the average U.S. citizen is prepared. Do they have a pantry (remember what that is?) stocked with a week or two of food, in case there's a disruption to our just-in-time-inventory food system? Do they have a means of filtering/disinfecting contaminated water? Do they have a supply of cash on hand when credit cards and ATMs stop working?

Citizens who are prepared for disasters (both large and small) will lead to government that is prepared for disasters.

(being prepared doesn't have to be expensive or extreme as paranoids hunkered down in their 60's nuclear bomb shelters. it's a set of simple lifestyle and attitude changes)
          "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
          "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
          "
          Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            Good news! It won't be as bad as you think. At under 1.4M residents, we're nowhere near "millions"!
            Are you kidding? We have more than that in traffic every day!

Comment

When Technology fails.

Oh well. I guess I'll have to resort to DVDs.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                When Technology fails.

Oh well. I guess I'll have to resort to DVDs.
                Yep.

And Hawaii sports fans will be cast into the dark ages once again when they'll be forced to watch Monday Night Football..... ON TAPE DELAY!!!!

Oh, the horrors.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

When this happens:
                  I'm wondering what proceedures our Gov. officials have in reserve and ready to go should we have our power grid go down ...
                  ... you'll be out of luck with:
                  Originally posted by helen View Post
                  Telephone and computer communication ...
                  Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  ... DVDs.
                  Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                  ... Monday Night Football..... ON TAPE DELAY!!!!
                  Yeah, I know, some of these are facetious comments. But as is often the case, MyopicJoe gets to the crux of the matter:
                  Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                  The question isn't whether the government is prepared for disaster, it's whether the average U.S. citizen is prepared. Do they have a pantry (remember what that is?) stocked with a week or two of food, in case there's a disruption to our just-in-time-inventory food system? Do they have a means of filtering/disinfecting contaminated water? Do they have a supply of cash on hand when credit cards and ATMs stop working?
                  This is really the key. In case of major catastrophe, it is foolish to think governmental agencies will ride to the rescue; you have to take personal responsibility for preparedness.

Or you can just log on to HT to ask for advice!

Comment

Heh heh. All serious matters should be wrapped in humor. It helps the medicine go down.
                    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                    "
                    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Maybe (maybe? Are you kidding me?) I'm just paranoid, but I chose a place to live where water is supplied by gravity feed (for the size of the tank, at least), and if/when that runs out we have a stream and gaspower to boil water.
                      I estimate we can last a month with rotated canned goods, a good supply of cooking gas, enough water for forever (but chilly for a bath!). But I sure will miss HT.
                      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                      ~ ~
                      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                        The question isn't whether the government is prepared for disaster, it's whether the average U.S. citizen is prepared.
                        The reality is, all but a handful even think about preparedness for the unthinkable, our Gmnt. knows it, and should be more than prepared and ready to cover any/all needs of the entire state. Probably an impossible task even if it had everything/body in place, but it looks like there is nothing. Not too good.

Comment

all but a handful even think about preparedness for the unthinkable, our Gmnt. knows it, and should be more than prepared and ready to cover any/all needs of the entire state.
                          Spoken like a true tax-and-spend liberal, Ron! Karl Marx would be proud. Now comes the hypocrite who claims we don’t even have $4 million to invest in a Pro Bowl that brings $30 million plus a year in visitor spending, yet we have hundred$ of billion$ in taxpayer $$$ to spend on unlimited free food, water, electricity, medicine, shelter and backup satellite coverage for every man, woman, and child in the state every time Guy Hagi says it’s going to storm.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                          USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

That's right, oh snarktress of the dark, I like my tax dollars spent wisely, for the betterment of my fellow man instead of paying the wealthy to be even more wealthy. Your alternative is to let everybody die for a tired game?

Comment

Working...
                            X