Introduction and howzit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction and howzit

OK--here I am. I guess I am supposed to post a little about me so here goes. I am 60 --how the frick did that happen? and was born and raised on Oahu. Also lived on the Big Island for 5 years in the early 70’s but am now living in Oregon. I miss Hawaii (haven’t got the okina thing down yet--I’m old school) terribly but we (wife and me) get back every year or so.

Oregon is ok--actually quite nice except for 4 months of the grey and cold in the winter.. lot’s of people from Hawaii live all up and down the West Coast--most driven out of Hawaii by economics as I was.

Looking to move back permanently if I can figure that out financially--if not at least hope to get back for a few months every year. Stumbled across the site while looking for something else and I’ll post more about my background as time and fingers allow. Like many of you I have some good “old time” stories to tell but I won’t bore you with them now.
    A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

Re: Introduction and howzit

I wanna be bored...tell da stories!
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well-where do I start? How about shredded mango--my handle. Small keed time I went to Aina Haina school. On the way home we would stop by the Chink Store (is it still OK to say that?) run by the Lums and buy crack seed, dried squid, cuttlefish, li hing mui, other goodies but my favorite was shredded mango.

One time I was there (about 4th grade) and they had a big container filled with “shredded mango” they were bagging up to hang in the 10c or “big" 25c bags. They used to bag their own seeds back in those days as all kamaaina’s know. So I grabbed a handful of “mango” (it didn’t look quite right but it looked good enough) and headed outside. I guess I was being punished for my misdeed as I took a huge mouthful only to discover it was shredded ginger! My gawd-- My shoplifting days were over!

Anyway--to this day shredded mango is my favorite seedbut I can’t find it anymore when I go back “home.” Do they still make it? Plus all the seeds are nowhere as good as I remember plus maybe too salty for me these days anyway. What happened to Yick Lung anyway?

Anyway--that’s it for now. I gotta go outside and do something productive!

Comment

There's a nice buncha Hawaiian-music folks in the Eugene area, including an `ukulele group - and an "Aloha Friday" gathering at Hodgepodge Hawaiian Grill on the first Friday evening of each month.

Comment

OK==I’m back. This frickin computer! It’s the ruin of many but helps me get through the grim winter here. Wait a minute--it’s almost summer. Who knew? Anyway--thanks for the info Leo. It’s amazing how the ukulele has taken off on the mainland. There are uke clubs all over the place and you see people playing them on the sidewalks a lot. I guess they were popular in the 1920’s but that was even before my time

I think the movie Finding Forrester where Iz was on the soundtrack singing Over the Rainbow and Jake Shimabukuro becoming popular on UTube has helped re-popularize it over here. Peter Moon was my uke hero back in the day. Does he still play music at venues there? Hopefully he’s still alive but I suppose i could check him out on the all knowing internet!

I’ll also check that out Eugene uke club as I play some uke but mostly guitar. I join some guys to sing and jam on Fridays but no one plays uke in that group. I am kind of shy joining new groups but I’ll check out the uke group and I get over the shyness after awhile. Do you play instruments Leo? Singing and music are one of the few things in life that make sense to me.

And speaking of Hawaiian plate lunch places--they are all over the place here now. The first one I was aware of in this area appeared in Corvallis about 15 years ago Local Boyz, started by the Marchesi brothers from Niu Valley. They are still by far the best one in Oregon. At least of the ones that I have found. Some are downright awful but Local Boyz is great. I don’t know if the Marchesi’s still have an interst in that restaurant but I’ll ask next time I go there.

Comment

Originally posted by Shredded Mango View Post
            Peter Moon was my uke hero back in the day. Does he still play music at venues there? Hopefully he’s still alive but I suppose i could check him out on the all knowing internet!
            He's alive, but not playing much - from what I hear, his health is keeping him out of the spotlight most of the time now; but his SON is becoming quite a good player these days.
            I’ll also check that out Eugene uke club as I play some uke but mostly guitar. I join some guys to sing and jam on Fridays but no one plays uke in that group. I am kind of shy joining new groups but I’ll check out the uke group and I get over the shyness after awhile. Do you play instruments Leo? Singing and music are one of the few things in life that make sense to me.
            I play bass guitar and `ukulele, and perform with a number of hula halau and Hawaiian groups in the Seattle area, as well as help to lead a monthly gathering of amateur uke players.

Comment

Small keed time I went to Aina Haina school. On the way home we would stop by the Chink Store (is it still OK to say that?) run by the Lums and buy crack seed, dried squid, cuttlefish, li hing mui, other goodies but my favorite was shredded mango.
              Wasn't that da tiny Pake store that was right next to Cornet? Tastee Freeze was right there too where my favorite was their Orange Freeze.
              And speaking of Hawaiian plate lunch places--they are all over the place here now. The first one I was aware of in this area appeared in Corvallis about 15 years ago Local Boyz, started by the Marchesi brothers from Niu Valley. They are still by far the best one in Oregon. At least of the ones that I have found.
              When you get a chance try go check out Roxy's Island Grill with locations in Tualatin and Cedar Hills near Beaverton. Very ono local style kaukau and plate lunches. Long ago and far away I knew the Marchesi brothers' sister, Faye. I always wondered what happened to her. I remember their Dad was a cop. I had quite a few friends who used to live Kuliouou, Niu Valley, and Aina Haina, and a bunch who lived behind Aina Haina school around Keikilani Circle. Small world.

Comment

Wasn't that da tiny Pake store that was right next to Cornet? Tastee Freeze was right there too where my favorite was their Orange Freeze.
                Exactly-and root beer freeze! Foodland is still there as is Hi Ho Liquors! Although we didn’t stop by Hi Ho’s after school. That came later with the fake ID on the drivers licenses then filled out with a typewriter. It’s funny when I go back--the shopping center is still 1/2 the same as it was 50 years ago.

And did you know that McDonalds across the parking lot was the first one in Hawaii? Built in 1969 when I was a senior in high school. That was the beginning of the end-----

Comment

Long ago and far away I knew the Marchesi brothers' sister, Faye
                  K-Den. Here’s a funny story (to me anyway) about when the Marchesi’s founded Local Boyz. As I said it was about 15 years ago. My old time friend from Hawaii, who now lives in the Bay Area, came to Corvallis where we were living at the time for a visit. Before he drove to our house he stopped by the Peacock (local Corvallis watering hole) to wet his whistle after the long trip.

He was sitting in the Peacock draining his scotch and unwinding when he heard someone calling another guy there by the name “Noho.” He thought Noho? I only knew one Noho that I can remember and he was from Niu Valley and he lived across the street from me small keed time- and his mom would sometimes ask me to keep an eye on Noho when she went to the store or something. Noho was probably 9 and the time and my friend Keith was 12 or so. So Keith thought--could that be the same Noho Marchesi I used to babysit?

Lo and behold it was! -and they laughed and talked story for awhile. They had not seen each other since teenage days. Noho told Keith about how he and his older brother Roy were working on a plan to open a Hawaii plate lunch style restaurant in Corvallis and they were in the process of working on the last details to make their dream a reality. They sure did because as I said that restaurant is hugely popular and at lunch and dinner time they have lines going out the door.

A great success story, good food, and one of the early pioneers for Hawaii plate lunch-- in Oregon anyway. As far as I know both Noho and Roy now live in Portland but they still own the restaurant and come down to Corvallis quite often to keep an eye on things.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    and an "Aloha Friday" gathering at Hodgepodge Hawaiian Grill on the first Friday evening of each month.
                    Ya Leo. My wife and i went there the other day for lunch for the first time and it is great. I had seen it before (the sign) driving by but had no idea it was a Hawaiian style plate lunch restaurant. (It just says Hodgepodge on the sign) The food is ono and the setup is very comfortable.

Will check out music there soon. Thanks for the link.
                    Last edited by Shredded Mango; June 19, 2011, 06:56 AM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Will check out music there soon. Thanks for the link.
                      Nice - if you get there for Aloha Friday, tell my friend Buck that I said hi (I'm Gregg to him - he won't know "Leo Lakio"). He puts the event together.

Comment

More details from Buck regarding the next "Aloha Friday" events (and others) in your area ---

Aloha kakou. Our next Aloha Friday will be July 1, 6-8pm, at Hodgepodge Restaurant, 2190 West 11th in Eugene, just west of Garfield. Hodgepodge has 'ono grinds, beer & wine, ice cream, and plenty friendly folks.

The featured guests will be KUMU HULA PEKELO DAY and dancers from HALAU HULA O NA PUA O HAWAI'I NEI, which means "hula school of the flowers of Hawai'i." This is the large hula school right here in Eugene, led by a master teacher with over 40 years of hula under his belt. It will be an informal (as always) showcase of current songs and dances.

Our presentation will be on the HOKULE'A, a traditional double-hulled sailing canoe, that re-ignited Hawaiian pride and culture in the late 1970s by sailing from Hawai'i to Tahiti and back, navigating only by the stars and ocean conditions. By now the Hokule'a has sailed all over the Pacific, and is currently planning a trip around the world. We will tell its story through words and short films.

As usual, we will also have OPEN MIC starting out at 6pm. This time we are calling for FLOWER SONGS, in honor of our halau hula. Traditional Hawaiian music has hundreds of songs extolling flowers, and American music also has plenty of songs using flower imagery. Of course, offerings of all types are welcome at open mic, time permitting. Step up yourself, or come support your friends. Sign up anytime after 5:30pm at the event, or claim your spot now by replying to this email.

FUTURE ALOHA FRIDAYS:
                        We changed our minds ... contrary to the previous email, we WILL have Aloha Friday in August; but we will skip the beginning of September, which is Labor Day weekend. Also, the October Aloha Friday will happen a week early, on the last day of September, so as not to conflict with the amazing Eugene Uketoberfest on October 7 & 8. So our schedule through the end of the year is:
                        July 1: Pekelo Day & Halau Hula O Na Pua O Hawai'i Nei
                        August 5: David Lomond, da local boy who does it all!
                        September 30: Iron Mango Orchestra
                        November 4: The Refreshments
                        December 2: Film Fest about ... ??

Photos from the last Aloha Friday are at
                        http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...8&l=620a36f4d7

OTHER UPCOMING EVENTS:

Saturday, June 25: The Ashland contingent of Halau Hula O Na Pua O Hawai'i Nei will put on a plate lunch and hula show at Grizzly Peak Winery, 1600 E. Nevada St. in Ashland. Hawaiian music starts at 11:30am with Mark Kailana Nelson playing slack key, lunch at 12:30, and hula show at 1pm. Tix are $17 adults, $12 kids 12 & under. Seating is on the grass, so bring a blanket or lawn chairs. For more info call 541-499-2510.

Thursday-Saturday, July 28, 29, & 30: The annual 3 Days of Aloha festival in Esther Short Park in downtown Vancouver, Washington (just north of Portland). Sign up ahead of time for hula and craft workshops with master instructors from Hawai'i. Thursday night is a free pa'ina, an informal jam with musicians and dancers. Friday is the free Hapa Haole Hula Competition; the Eugene halau is sending 2 classes up to participate, so you can cheer on your pals. Saturday is a free all day Ho'ike & Hawaiian Festival, with all-day entertainment (including the competition winners), food and crafts booths. Seating is on the grass, so bring blanket/lawn chairs. More info at http://hawaiianfestivalpnw.com.

Friday-Sunday, August 5-7: The First Annual Oakridge Ukulele Fest takes place in Oakridge, Oregon. Brook Adams, James Clem, Denise Hinz, and Patti Sage are instructing students at all levels. Saturday evening performances are open to the public. Registration ($65 for all classes), is through the organizers at the Oakridge Hostel, www.oakridgehostel.com click on events for details.

Monday, August 8: Kumu Hula Iwalani Raes and Island Arts do an outdoor evening music and hula show in Emerald Park in the River Road area, 7-8:30pm, 1400 Lake Drive, free. Seating is on the grass, so bring blanket/lawn chairs. More info at 541-688-4052.

Comment

Working...
                        X