Yvonne Elliman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yvonne Elliman

Our own local girl who grad from Roosevelt 1970.
    First album released in '72. Mary Magdeline in the play and movie "Jesus Christ Superstar", toured with Eric Clapton, and more...

Interviewed by Dick Clark on American Bandstand.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVJHA...1&feature=fvwp

Singing "I can't find my way home"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDFRV...eature=related

Wikipedia info...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yvonne_Elliman

I think she's terrific!
    Dig her
    72.22%
    Not really
    11.11%
    Never heard of her
    16.67%
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Re: Yvonne Elliman

Wow--there’s someone I hand’t heard about in a very long time. She’s great indeed and I remember her well beginning with We Folk days.

I just checked out her website and see that she is back living in Hawaii. It says she is still performing. Have you heard her perform recently? If so I was wondering if she still sounds as good as she did in the 70’s.
    A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

Comment

I'm the 'not really'. I like her as a person, from viewing from afar, and she's a fine talent, but her output is generally not my cup-o-tea. Saw her a year or so ago at Ward Center, she was good.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
        Our own local girl who grad from Roosevelt 1970.
        First album released in '72. Mary Magdeline in the play and movie "Jesus Christ Superstar", toured with Eric Clapton, and more...

Interviewed by Dick Clark on American Bandstand.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVJHA...1&feature=fvwp

Singing "I can't find my way home"
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDFRV...eature=related

Wikipedia info...
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yvonne_Elliman

I think she's terrific!
        So do I. She's a great party guest and an amazing baker! I've enjoyed getting to know her as a friend.
        Attached Files

Comment

The lady can still sing, altho' she has picked up a few pounds since her heyday.

With that said, I was disappointed by the last time I saw her onstage. It was at one of Tom Moffat's Soul Jam shows at NBC arena. She was one of the highlighted artists, along with the Stylistics and Chi-Lites. Yet, her set came at the very beginning of the show, rushed through 3 songs, and she was done. She came out onstage carrying what looked like a large plastic Evian water bottle, which seemed a little unprofessional. Then right before her last number, Yvonne explained she was leaving as she had to catch a plane in order to be at her daughter's graduation ceremony at Stanford.

Now, there's nothing wrong with wanting to be with her child at an important occasion. But if there was a scheduling conflict between the graduation and the concert, then maybe Yvonne should have bowed out of the show. Lots of people I talked to afterwards were disappointed by her effort, as her appearance was prominently promoted in all of the advertising.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

If I can't have you
            I don't want nobody, baby
            If I can have you
            uh, uh, uh

love. Love. LOVE Yvonne Elliman.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              The lady can still sing, altho' she has picked up a few pounds since her heyday.

With that said, I was disappointed by the last time I saw her onstage. It was at one of Tom Moffat's Soul Jam shows at NBC arena. She was one of the highlighted artists, along with the Stylistics and Chi-Lites. Yet, her set came at the very beginning of the show, rushed through 3 songs, and she was done. She came out onstage carrying what looked like a large plastic Evian water bottle, which seemed a little unprofessional. Then right before her last number, Yvonne explained she was leaving as she had to catch a plane in order to be at her daughter's graduation ceremony at Stanford.

Now, there's nothing wrong with wanting to be with her child at an important occasion. But if there was a scheduling conflict between the graduation and the concert, then maybe Yvonne should have bowed out of the show. Lots of people I talked to afterwards were disappointed by her effort, as her appearance was prominently promoted in all of the advertising.
              I guess carrying a water bottle on stage is a "to each his own" situation. Was it the act of carrying the bottle or that she had the water on stage at all that looked unprofessional to you? Robin Williams comedy concerts consist of no set decoration and only a table draped in black with a plethora of water bottles on it. The water is not used as a prop in any way. He sweats profusely and hydrates during his show.

I love that Elliman attempted to make her fans and her daughter happy. Yes, I realize that a paycheck can also be a motivator. But, if the promoters knew that she'd be leaving early then I think they might be more at fault for her heavy promotion. Possibly she could've been a surprise guest. Of course, there's always the possibility that they didn't know until the last minute.

From a lady slightly older than Elliman, moi, who has also picked up a few pounds...sad to see you felt the need to mention her weight since, as you pointed out, it didn't seem to interfere with her singing ability. It's been interesting seeing some of my fav vocalists at the smooth jazz concerts, all of whom are in my general age range. They, too, have been similarly afflicted and they're singing better than ever. These artists didn't walk on stage with a water bottle because the bottles were already there for them. The musicians at these concerts hydrate during someone's solo.

Just one tutu's opinion!

Comment

She's still hot. If she ever came on to me, I'd be all over that in a second. I really dislike that Blind Faith song she's been covering lately but at least it's better than the original.

Edit: I still don't like the song much, but on 2009's live album with Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood does a much better job on the vocals than he did on the original recording. He's a guy whose voice got better with age.

Second Edit: Didn't she perform at one of the recent Crater Festivals?
                Last edited by scrivener; June 18, 2011, 11:24 AM. Reason: "Don't know why I'm surviving every lonely day..."
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                  altho' she has picked up a few pounds since her heyday.
                  Ah, so many of us have, though.

Unless, of course, NOW is my heyday. Hmmmm.

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  From a lady slightly older than Elliman, moi, who has also picked up a few pounds...sad to see you felt the need to mention her weight since, as you pointed out, it didn't seem to interfere with her singing ability. It's been interesting seeing some of my fav vocalists at the smooth jazz concerts, all of whom are in my general age range. They, too, have been similarly afflicted and they're singing better than ever.
                  Ann Wilson. Linda Ronstadt. Chaka Khan. Aretha Franklin.

Need more be said?

Comment

as a singer, I think Elliman is great. As a performer, I think she is very professional. So, going by the previous comments, here are some things to ponder about that show she was in:

1) Her contract was probably signed long before she knew the exact date of her daughter's graduation.

2) Performing the first set was probably a concession by the producers to allow for her travel plans.

3) She apologized to the audience for having to leave early.

4) The number of songs to be performed was probably also in her contract.

4) Water bottle? extra pounds? who the h*** cares! She apparently sounded great and fulfilled her contract as the professional she is.

If some folks here on HT were at the concert and felt slighted - you should have asked for a refund.
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

My all time favorite Yvonne Elliman track though was not a bigee versus "If I Can't Have You" is....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRpHb...feature=fvwrel

I once had this song on a Maxell Tape that I recorded off of the air from then I-94

and oh yes "Moment By Moment".....

Comment

I really dislike that Blind Faith song she's been covering lately but at least it's better than the original.
                        I’ll tell you one thing. I went to the Blind Faith concert at what was then the HIC in 1969 and it was the loudest concert I have ever been to. My ears were ringing for three days afterwords and I am sure that accounts for some of my loss of hearing.

Someone told me the concert was pretty good though. I don’t go to loud concerts like that anymore--good thing. And being a pro musician for decades is a tough gig. Literally. I wish Yvonne the best.
                        A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

Comment

I guess carrying a water bottle on stage is a "to each his own" situation. Was it the act of carrying the bottle or that she had the water on stage at all that looked unprofessional to you? Robin Williams comedy concerts consist of no set decoration and only a table draped in black with a plethora of water bottles on it. The water is not used as a prop in any way. He sweats profusely and hydrates during his show.
                          It's one thing to grab a quick sip during a longer, extended performance. Quite another to start off a performance with a drink already in hand. And as I already said, she only sang 3 songs, and her set couldn't have been more than 15 minutes.

If other people see nothing wrong with what I described, then whatever. One thing I will say is this. It's easy to express a "live and let live" opinion on a show that they did not pay their good, hard-earned money on. It's quite another matter when the opposite is true, as in my case.

sad to see you felt the need to mention her weight since, as you pointed out, it didn't seem to interfere with her singing ability.
                          It was just a simple observation on my part. I didn't say it was good or bad.
                          Last edited by Frankie's Market; June 18, 2011, 05:26 PM.
                          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

JCSS and the 'hit'. Everything else - meh.

Of course, that's more than enough to make me a fan for life.
                            May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Early in her career she did a pretty good cover of The Who's "I Can't Explain" (1973).

I also like the cover of "Hello Stranger" that she did in 1977.

"I Can't Get You Out of My Mind" was a radio staple in Hawaii during the early 1980s (or was it the late 1970s?). The song came out a few years after her big hit with "If I Can't Have You" (topping the Billboard Hot 100 in 1978).

One of her lesser known tracks that I like is "Savannah".

Most of her big hits in the 1970s were released on RSO Records which also had Eric Clapton and The Bee Gees on that label's roster.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X