Rascals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rascals

How many out there remember how big the (Young) Rascals were in Hawaii in the late 60’s? Even though they were from Brooklyn (I think) or somewhere over there on the other side they were smokin popular-- and Hawaii loved them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKehnQ75QAI
    A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

Re: Rascals

Here’s a good link on the Rascals in Hawaii. And KPOI (remember the KPOI pay phone jackpot?--Orange Chiffon cake from Leonard's Bakery--never mind) My mind wanders.

http://therascalsarchives.com/html/hawaii.htm
    A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

Comment

Re: Rascals

Perhaps this topic and Yvonne Elliman need to move a step down to the music section.

That said, the Young Rascals were huge in Hawaii. Probably their biggest smash hit on island radio was a non single track off their album Once Upon a Dream called "My Hawaii". That track topped local charts in the late 1960s and recurring KPOI Marathon of Hits charts a few years later and into the 1970s.

The album that perhaps gave them their most and probably biggest national chart hits was Groovin' which came out in 1967. That album had several memorable songs including "Groovin'" (#1 Billboard Hot 100), "How Can I Be Sure", "A Girl Like You," "If You Knew", "You Better Run" and for me, "Sueno" which was the B-side of "Groovin'. They also did a cover of Stevie Wonder's "A Place in the Sun".

Other tracks of significance for me include the rock hits "Good Lovin'", "Mustang Sally" (covering the Wilson Pickett hit), "Come On Up", "I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore", "I've Been Lonely Too Long" and "People Got to Be Free".

I was a kid when this group was at the height of their popularity. I knew of them largely through the AM radio stations that blared Top 40 music in the day (KKUA, KORL, KPOI) and from 45s that my Dad's friend who owned a jukebox business gave to us.

Do a search on Amazon, iTunes and YouTube to listen to, search for videos or buy music by The Young Rascals (later shortened to The Rascals). More than 45 years later it's all still good music.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
      X