Verizon FiOS in Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verizon FiOS in Hawaii

Why doesn't Hawaii have Verizon FiOS? Everytime I go to California, it sickens me how cheap the digital cable packages are there, since they have so many companies to choose from.

I know it's been discussed on HT before, but bleh...Oceanic annoys the crap out of me with how much they're charging and the levels of access that they have.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Re: Verizon FiOS in Hawaii

Uh, because we're not on Verizon?

With HawTel coming out of bankruptcy, maybe they'll try something. But I think they're more interested in TVIP. But maybe that will drive fiber.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
      Why doesn't Hawaii have Verizon FiOS? ... Oceanic annoys the crap out of me with how much they're charging and the levels of access that they have.
      We could have had it by now, had Verizon not sold their landline business to Hawaiian Telcom. They did keep their wireless business here (gotta love 4G!), and as it turns out, that was a good business decision for them. I'm sure the answer as to why they sold out is in one of the old topics. *sigh* HT needs a librarian!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

Why doesn't Hawaii have Verizon FiOS? Everytime I go to California, it sickens me how cheap the digital cable packages are there, since they have so many companies to choose from..
        I just read yesterday that Verizon is eliminating their unlimited data plans in California. That means that you either limit your Interent use, or your rates will be going up. Thank you corporate America.
        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

The new excitement is Sonic, at least up here in Nor Cal.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...merica-yup.ars

Seems like it would be straightforward to hook up the more contained territory of the islands.

Comment

Why doesn't Hawaii have Verizon FiOS? Everytime I go to California, it sickens me how cheap the digital cable packages are there, since they have so many companies to choose from.

I know it's been discussed on HT before, but bleh...Oceanic annoys the crap out of me with how much they're charging and the levels of access that they have.
            Even in California, FiOS isn't available everywhere. Last heard, VZ's stopped expanding their fiber to new areas and are only focusing on flushing out the areas already served. probably to maximize the ROI.

Competition has always been laggard in Hawaii unfortunately.

Comment

because when the only fiber system is Oceanic,they have zero incentive to speed it up except for a fee. Used to work for Oceanic. I haven't used any of their services since '03. Never will. Why have a phone that goes out when the power does?

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                I just read yesterday that Verizon is eliminating their unlimited data plans in California. That means that you either limit your Interent use, or your rates will be going up. Thank you corporate America.
                Verizon or Verizon Wireless? Big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                  Verizon or Verizon Wireless? Big difference.
                  As far as I know, matapule is incorrect that Verizon FiOS is making any changes. The unlimited data plan that is being eliminated is ONLY on Verizon Wireless, and does not go into effect until July 7. This change is NOT exclusive to California, but will be implemented in all 50 states:

Verizon to scrap its unlimited data plan in July
                  June 21, 2011 | 3:52 pm

Verizon Wireless will stop offering its customers the option of an unlimited data plan in July, moving over to tiered data plans ...

... Most of the rumors about Verizon's pricing predict that Verizon will charge $30 a month for 2 gigabytes of data. If that's the case, it would put Verizon $5 per month ahead of AT&T's 2-gigabyte monthly option.

AT&T, which is Verizon's biggest rival, scrapped its $30-a-month unlimited data plans in June 2010 and now charges $25 a month for 2 gigabytes of data and an extra $10 for each additional gigabyte used. The carrier, which is looking for regulatory approval of its proposed takeover of T-Mobile USA, also offers a $15-a-month option for 200 megabytes of data.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                  USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                    As far as I know, matapule is incorrect that Verizon FiOS is making any changes.
                    Did I say Verizon FIOS? Anyway, it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, nor will it be my last. As uaifi says, "matapule, why do you always insist on being wrong?"
                    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I'm not sure when in July but as of this posting it'll be within a week's time. If however you already have the unlimited plan ($29/mo) you will be grandfathered in for a while. BUT if you decide to switch phones when you are eligible for an upgrade, you will lose that grandfathered clause. So if you are planning on upgrading to the iPhone 4, better do it like really fast if not too late already.

And that's nationwide.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...l?id=210527811

I'm listening.

Comment

Working...
                        X