More sandbar shenanigans: dog attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More sandbar shenanigans: dog attack

I'm curious about how the dog owner will behave, after his "pet" attacked and nearly drowned a woman. Will he document the dog's violent behavior? Will he pay for the victim's medical bills? From the article, it seems he's getting away scot-free, because the attack occurred on the sandbar.

Anyone with familiarity with the law have any insights? Any of our sailing members have an opinion on this latest incident involving the sandbar?

Reminds me of the boat sinking drama.
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Re: More sandbar shenanigans: dog attack

Hopefully, for the dog owner's sake, he has a personal umbrella policy 'cuz he's gonna need it. And I hope the victim gets every penny. Talk about a justifiable law suit...

Comment

Just like everything else on/in the water... no department wishes to take responsibility. DLNR, DOBOR, Harbors Division, Police all point to another agency.

I hope the woman heals as close to normal as possible.
      The owner is responsible even if he has to be sued to prove it.
      Why take a dog out there anyways?
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Couldn't she have drowned the dog as it attacked her?
        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
          The dog weighed as much as she did (130 lbs.) and attacked her on the head and neck...per the linked article. How might the victim drowned the dog?

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
            Any of our sailing members have an opinion on this latest incident involving the sandbar?
            Reminds me of the boat sinking drama.
            Thanks for that link! I went back and re-read that entire thread. What a kick. I'll have to see if I can find out whatever happened to Aquadelica.
            As for the new dog incident, it's a darned shame that that the current law ignores the sandbar. (Though that's about to change. See below.) There are almost always dogs out there running around loose, and rarely a problem.

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            Hopefully, for the dog owner's sake, he has a personal umbrella policy 'cuz he's gonna need it. And I hope the victim gets every penny. Talk about a justifiable law suit.
            I agree completely. There can't be criminal action at the moment since there's no law, but there can certainly be civil action. Count on it.

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
            Just like everything else on/in the water... no department wishes to take responsibility. DLNR, DOBOR, Harbors Division, Police all point to another agency.
            Aha, but check out this Breaking News story. Just a few hours ago DLNR has enacted a rule to ban alcohol at the sandbar on three-day holiday weekends, and they're also looking at instituting a dog law and also an anti-noise law. Hooray on all counts!

Why take a dog out there anyways?
            Why not? Lots of families take their kids and the kids love having the dogs around. Playing frisbee with 'em, etc. Good fun, when done responsibly.

The dog weighed more than the victim! She couldn't get him off of herself, much less "drowned" it.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              Talk about a justifiable law suit...
              Yeah. I wonder if he's gonna offer a pathetic excuse. Perhaps claim the woman provoked his dog? /smirk

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
              Maybe I'm not giving DLNR enough credit, but I'm cringing at the idea of them handling the investigation.

Though possible, I find it highly unlikely, especially given her situation. The dog weighed about the same as her, and pound-for-pound most animals are stronger than humans.

Of course, over the years I've learned not to underestimate women, but she would have had to have the proper training and mindset to put that dog down.
              "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
              "

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                I'll have to see if I can find out whatever happened to Aquadelica.
                I know my curiosity will be satiated, with detective LikaNui on the case

Just a few hours ago DLNR has enacted a rule to ban alcohol at the sandbar on three-day holiday weekends, and they're also looking at instituting a dog law and also an anti-noise law.
                Good good. I hope they are willing to devote the funds/manpower to enforce those laws. Officers will have their hands full.
                "

Comment

Maybe I'm not giving DLNR enough credit, but I'm cringing at the idea of them handling the investigation.
                  In the past I'd agree with you, but I have hopes for DLNR now that Bill Aila is the new Director. He was the former harbormaster out on the leeward cooast for ages and is a highly experienced boater. He won't let idiots get away with anything. I've met him several times and spent quite a bit of time talking to him and he impressed me, so as I said I've got my hopes he'll do well.

I know my curiosity will be satiated, with detective LikaNui on the case
                  ROFLMOO!

Good good. I hope they are willing to devote the funds/manpower to enforce those laws. Officers will have their hands full.
                  As I wrote before in that Aquadelica thread, DLNR has only three people to cover the entire windward side, including all ocean activities and also all hiking activities and rescues. THREE guys!

Comment

3 guys.
                    Windward side.

That's akin to assigning 10 cops (with squad cards) to cover Makapu`u to Pearl City.

Come on. Can't be done, though I know our F&F would try.

Let's get REAL! OK???
                    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                    ~ ~
                    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Aha, but check out this Breaking News story. Just a few hours ago DLNR has enacted a rule to ban alcohol at the sandbar on three-day holiday weekends, and they're also looking at instituting a dog law and also an anti-noise law.
                      KITV had this as the very lead story on their news tonight. Not sure about the other stations.

Comment

KITV had this as the very lead story on their news tonight. Not sure about the other stations.
                        Being attacked by a large animal, especially one trained to attack the face and neck, is one of the most terrifying experiences one can live through.

I don't know what this poor person endured, but regardless, I feel it deserves substantial compensation.
                        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                        ~ ~
                        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

'DLNR has enacted a rule to ban alcohol at the sandbar on three-day holiday weekends, and they're also looking at instituting a dog law and also an anti-noise law'

Bogus Band-Aid solution, it needs to be %100 off limits.
                          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                            Bogus Band-Aid solution, it needs to be %100 off limits.
                            What?!? You're saying the sandbar should be permanently off limits to everyone? That will never happen. Never.
                            You're either joking or dreaming, I'm not sure which.

Comment

What?!? You're saying the sandbar should be permanently off limits to everyone? That will never happen. Never.
                              You're either joking or dreaming, I'm not sure which.
                              The few have ruined it for everyone, it'll never be free of the idiots. Return it to nature, at least on the holidays it should be kapu.
                              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                              X