Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Substitute teaching in Maui

Hi, all!

I am brand-new to these boards (so I'm guessing a quick introduction might be in order). I plan to move to Maui (most likely to Kihei) in early October from the mainland. I have just graduated with my English education degree and teaching certificate and have been saving money as the summer goes on.

I am wondering about the need for substitute teachers on the island, specifically in the Kihei area. I know about the pay, the requirements/the process, but I have not been able to find anything that points toward if I will be able to be employed full-time. Of course I could find other jobs (and I plan to work in a restaurant as well, to help meet the demands of rent, high student loans, and food), but I feel this would allow me time to pursue (and TRULY commit to) things that I would like to be challenged with: writing, reading, getting published, surfing, and potentially building a tutoring business on the island.

Any one know about subbing in the area? Subbing in Maui in general? Anything would be fantastic!

Many thanks!

Rory

Re: Substitute teaching in Maui

Laugh of the day [see above].
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Last I knew, if you plan to work for in public education, you apply with the state and see what openings there are. Being brand new, you'll only be able to get the least desirable openings. They may or may not be on Maui. Once you're in the system and build up some seniority, then you can get to where you want to go.

Comment

My mom used to substitute on Maui when I was a kid, during the 80s. She always had work, but with just a one-time half-day orientation before they turned her loose. Of course, this info is pretty out of date. The only teachers I know these days on Maui work at Seabury or UH. I guess that's the only advice I have: also get on the list with the private schools like Saint Anthony's and Seabury Hall. Good luck!

(P.S. -- don't forget to say "on Maui" instead of "in Maui")

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
          Last I knew, if you plan to work for in public education, you apply with the state and see what openings there are. Being brand new, you'll only be able to get the least desirable openings. They may or may not be on Maui. Once you're in the system and build up some seniority, then you can get to where you want to go.
          This is inaccurate, as you probably know, seeing as how you seem to have done your homework. To be a sub, you get yourself into the sub pool; when teachers call in sick, they can request you by name, which they'll only be able to do if they know you. Otherwise, you wait for your first call from the computerized system, then you go in there and kick butt as a sub, which primarily means following the lesson plan.

If you leave good (but not too copious!) notes and demonstrate that you've followed the lesson plans, you will be asked back. Seniority plays a role only insofar as established subs are more likely to be asked for by name, but there is such a dearth (a DEARTH!) of competent subs that if you're good, you'll work just about as often as you like, seniority or no.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Thanks. Somehow I missed the "sub" part. I was thinking full-time teacher when I made my reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Pohaku View Post
              Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for saying that!!!! It is one of my pet peeves that kinda makes me crazy when I see/hear it. C'mon - how hard is it to realize that you don't live IN an island - you live ON it. Unless of course, you are a mole or some creature like that.
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                C'mon - how hard is it to realize that you don't live IN an island - you live ON it. Unless of course, you are a mole or some creature like that.
                Yes and no. I thought of correcting this too, but Maui's also the name of a county, and you live in a county, so this is not grammatically incorrect.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                  Yes and no. I thought of correcting this too, but Maui's also the name of a county, and you live in a county, so this is not grammatically incorrect.
                  On the other hand, I doubt many Kihei residents will be popping over to Molokai High School for a substitute job, so it's conceptually clearer to say "on." Happy to hash out finer points of composition with you when you're not busy thrashing me at online Scrabble, Scrivener

I meant it less as finger-waving and more as "hey, say it this way if you don't want to stick out and sound like you're not from around here." I assume further reflection will come on its own to your English major self, Rory--probably while waiting between sets.

Comment

and on the "other" other hand - I doubt the original poster was speaking of Maui County. When speaking about the county one usually would say Maui County (or Oahu, Hawaii, etc.)
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I meant it less as finger-waving and more as "hey, say it this way if you don't want to stick out and sound like you're not from around here."
                      I hear a lot of people from "around here" say "in Maui" and "in the Big Island." Granted, it's mostly kids and it's not really correct, but it doesn't really stick out. At least I don't think so.

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                      and on the "other" other hand - I doubt the original poster was speaking of Maui County. When speaking about the county one usually would say Maui County (or Oahu, Hawaii, etc.)
                      Whether the original poster was speaking of Maui county or not, he or she was not technically wrong writing "in Maui." On yet another hand, if someone says "Oahu County," as you suggest, that would technically be incorrect.
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I think there are too many "hands" waving in the air on this thread and that we should really let it go back to the original posters questions.

Carry on Rory!
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Thanks for the help, all. As for in, on, around, inside Maui....I think you get the picture!!

Cheers,

Rory

Comment

Working...
                          X