Gov. Neil Abercrombie Approval Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gov. Neil Abercrombie Approval Poll

It’s been seven months since Abercrombie was sworn in, and many Hawai‘i residents are shocked at the job the governor is doing so far. I think Star-Advertiser columnist Lee Cataluna hits the nail on the head. What do you think?

Abercrombie’s attitude goes from mellow to mean

By Lee Cataluna
    POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Jul 10, 2011

...We forgot that sometimes this grandpa can go off, and unlike Hannemann, he does his own dirty work. Bad Mufi had his XXL red-shirted supporters shouting down the opposition at debates. Bad Neil shouted down a nurse on Maui. Bad Mufi had his minions write angry response letters to every word of public criticism. Bad Neil barks, “I’m not your friend!”

It’s looking like Abercrombie isn’t anybody’s friend. Gov. Linda Lingle’s loathsome furlough Fridays were at least agreed upon by the teachers union. Abercrombie’s last, best offer is being forced upon Hawai‘i’s overworked, undervalued public school teachers. No employee wants a pay cut, but worse than that is having no voice in the negotiations. That is the insult to the injury.

There was a good deal of bar stool debate over Abercrombie’s “dissing” of the NFL, when he vowed to quit giving the league money to bring the Pro Bowl to Hawai‘i. Abercrombie may have shot his mouth off again in this instance, but surely the NFL is tough enough to take it. It’s not like getting in a nurse’s face in a parking lot on Maui.
    Excellent! Neil is on track to be the best guv in state history.
    7.69%
    Average. Neil's fiery persona colors an otherwise disciplined politician.
    7.69%
    Below average. This senile old man better get his act together!
    38.46%
    Poor. Petition the legislature to pass a bill allowing a “recall” of Abercrombie!
    46.15%

The poll is expired.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Re: Gov. Neil Abercrombie Approval Poll

Abercrombie may be the best thing that ever happened to the Republicans.

Comment

As far as the HSTA goes, I think Neil has some plausible deniability. Yes, those are his candidates. But he seems to have stayed out of the details of the negotiations.

It seems to me that the union really messed themselves over. The terms being offered seems to be in line with what the other unions got. Given the "most favored nation" clause the first union got, I see it as unlikely the teachers will be able to get anything better. Not unless someone finds money to give ALL the unions raises.

However, since the union rejected it without checking with their membership, they desperately need a way to save face.

With the "most favored nation" clause in black and white, I'm not so sure that mediation will go as favorably for the union as it has in the past.

Comment

nothing like slanting your questions

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
          As far as the HSTA goes, I think Neil has some plausible deniability. Yes, those are his candidates. But he seems to have stayed out of the details of the negotiations.
          I don’t see how that bears any relevance to the situation. The bottom line, as widely reported, is that Governor Abercrombie has taken the unprecedented unilateral step of implementing a statewide employment contract on teachers through the legislature — without their express consent. Neil and Neil alone, did that. As Civil Beat’s Kathryn Poythress reports, this practice in the past has been ruled unconstitutional by the Hawai‘i Supreme Court. All the guv has done is set the state up for a fall.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo lolo View Post
            nothing like slanting your questions
            Yes I agree. While I might have chosen, for example, "below average", I'd not attribute it to be a "senile old man". Putting bias into a poll negates the result.
            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I hope he's not getting a small man's complex.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                I agree. While I might have chosen, for example, "below average", I'd not attribute it to be a "senile old man."
                Well, what would you have “attributed it to be,” then? Like Leo Lakio and Frankie have said in the past, an online poll is unscientific, so rather then whine about it, why not choose a selection with a disclaimer post. It’s all in good fun. Sheesh!

USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

He's a legend......in his own mind.

Comment

Deleted by Amati who is going to remember to stop checking the threads without signing in first.
                    Last edited by Amati; July 13, 2011, 09:51 AM.
                    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
                    X