POGS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: POGS

Mahalo everyone....I am lucky to have an original Milk bottle cap, which is what a pog was originally in the day...In the 90's they came back and everyone thought they were brand new Pinapple, Orange, Gauva. It is like the re invention of the Hippie now...I am however a "OLD" hippie...Again Mahalo

Comment

Originally posted by Malolo View Post
      In the 90's they came back and everyone thought they were brand new Pinapple, Orange, Gauva.
      This is a preposterous claim. Not even the second-graders I worked with in the 90s thought they were brand new. Every one of them knew that they were something from a long time before; many of them were proud to own original milk caps from their relatives collections; these were often the most coveted caps among the children I knew.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Also, isn't it Passion Fruit / Orange / Guava? I bet they considered putting "Lilikoi" on the label, but didn't want to call it "Log."

I remember a chart from my youth which read 80% Orange, 15% Guava, 5% Passion Fruit. All the Meadow Gold Pog you see here in California (rare) is like...50% corn syrup, plus some juice thrown in for color. Grumble.

These folks make something pretty tasty. http://www.suntropics.net/new-product-detail.php?id=76

I remember being solemnly informed that if you could somehow come up with five dollars, you could get a whole roll of Haleakala Dairy milk covers. I had to get mine via a friend loaning me a couple and winning them in playground battle.

Comment

Originally posted by Pohaku View Post
          Also, isn't it Passion Fruit / Orange / Guava? I bet they considered putting "Lilikoi" on the label, but didn't want to call it "Log."
          I sometimes get shave ice with Guava / Lilikoi / Orange / Pineapple ... guess what I call it?

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
            I have a small (3" tall) glass jar full of POG's.
            Both my friend James and I drew art on the blank sides of them.
            James died over 5 years ago and I'm looking at my old creations too.
            Talk about sentimental value! Never played any game with them.
            And we were in our 30's then. HaHa!
            Checking them out and took a photo. Cool memories of different times with my friend!
            The first row (7) are mine... the others were all done by James.

James' & My Pogs! by Menehune Man, on Flickr
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

When did POG, the juice, hit Hawaii, in home-made or commercial form?
              My mom invented it in the late 50s in LA after adding OJ to the last of the lilikoi and guava mix we'd had for a week. Called me into the kitchen to try it, knowing it was a hit.
              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
              X