Thread: POGS

Default POGS

My grandson and I were going through a lot of my old things and I had a few scattered Pogs from an old collection of pogs from Hawaii. I remembered I had so many, but with all the moving around during my 68 years I do not know where they are. Does anyone know of someplace local to Hawaii that I could order some...I have looked on ebay, but most of them are not as authentic as I would like. Any ideas?????Mahalo

Default Re: POGS

I almost never go to the Kam swap meet, but when I do I almost always see someone with pogs to sell. How authentic they are I couldn't tell you.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

DeSoto Brown and I published a POGs guidebook back in the '90s called "Coverama." Watch out, the POG copyright owners will come after you for using that term.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

We have a pretty good size POG collection left over from the early 90s. Someday, when they are worth lots of money, we will be rich.
    Now run along and play, but donít get into trouble.

I have a small container full of pogs - some even put out by the ad agency I worked for at the time - we're talking early 1990s here.

Quote Originally Posted by SusieMisajon View Post
    What's a pog?
    Passion Orange Guava.

Quote Originally Posted by SusieMisajon View Post
    What's a pog?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogs
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

What, choo guys talking 'bout milk caps? Haleakala Dairy!

I was going to college in So Cal in 1993, and I remember rifling through a big box of 'em in Albertsons. So confusing to find our playground game getting all boutique. Then I pulled out one which read "Azeka's Ribs"--and I was back in Kihei. It was like my homesickness talisman! Too bad no more Azeka's now. Sokay, these days I like tink I make pretty good ribs my own self.

They also had a hit song called "Fairytale of New York."

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Somewhere in my junk collection is a KGU AM76 Slammer Metallic POG.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Thumbs up Re: POGS

I have a small (3" tall) glass jar full of POG's.
    Both my friend James and I drew art on the blank sides of them.
    James died over 5 years ago and I looking at my old creations too.
    Talk about sentimental value! Never played any game with them.
    And we were in our 30's then. HaHa!
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

I even produced my own set of POGs called Road Kill. Featured run-over dog, cat, frog, gecko and surfer. Sick, I know.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Small kid time only da guys wit connection had the stiff milk covers, everybody else had the ones was on your milk bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    They also had a hit song called "Fairytale of New York."
    Just in case you thought that was ignored - I got it! "Shane" on you.

Mahalo everyone....I am lucky to have an original Milk bottle cap, which is what a pog was originally in the day...In the 90's they came back and everyone thought they were brand new Pinapple, Orange, Gauva. It is like the re invention of the Hippie now...I am however a "OLD" hippie...Again Mahalo

Quote Originally Posted by Malolo View Post
    In the 90's they came back and everyone thought they were brand new Pinapple, Orange, Gauva.
    This is a preposterous claim. Not even the second-graders I worked with in the 90s thought they were brand new. Every one of them knew that they were something from a long time before; many of them were proud to own original milk caps from their relatives collections; these were often the most coveted caps among the children I knew.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Also, isn't it Passion Fruit / Orange / Guava? I bet they considered putting "Lilikoi" on the label, but didn't want to call it "Log."

I remember a chart from my youth which read 80% Orange, 15% Guava, 5% Passion Fruit. All the Meadow Gold Pog you see here in California (rare) is like...50% corn syrup, plus some juice thrown in for color. Grumble.

These folks make something pretty tasty. http://www.suntropics.net/new-product-detail.php?id=76

I remember being solemnly informed that if you could somehow come up with five dollars, you could get a whole roll of Haleakala Dairy milk covers. I had to get mine via a friend loaning me a couple and winning them in playground battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Pohaku View Post
    Also, isn't it Passion Fruit / Orange / Guava? I bet they considered putting "Lilikoi" on the label, but didn't want to call it "Log."
    I sometimes get shave ice with Guava / Lilikoi / Orange / Pineapple ... guess what I call it?

Thumbs up Re: POGS

Quote Originally Posted by Menehune Man View Post
    I have a small (3" tall) glass jar full of POG's.
    Both my friend James and I drew art on the blank sides of them.
    James died over 5 years ago and I'm looking at my old creations too.
    Talk about sentimental value! Never played any game with them.
    And we were in our 30's then. HaHa!
    Checking them out and took a photo. Cool memories of different times with my friend!
    The first row (7) are mine... the others were all done by James.

James' & My Pogs! by Menehune Man, on Flickr
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

When did POG, the juice, hit Hawaii, in home-made or commercial form?
    My mom invented it in the late 50s in LA after adding OJ to the last of the lilikoi and guava mix we'd had for a week. Called me into the kitchen to try it, knowing it was a hit.