No announcement yet.

What Are Your Favorite Movie Musicals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Are Your Favorite Movie Musicals?

I'm not a very big fan of movie musicals, but like most Americans (I think!), many of my earliest film memories are of beloved musicals. As I was looking at my list of favorite films the other night, I noticed that there were more musicals than I would have guessed, but that the favorites were from my childhood. My ratings of film musicals since I became an adult—excluding animated Disney movies—are mostly quite low (Hellllooooo, Evita and Moulin Rouge!!).

My favorite all-time (and in fact number eight on my all-time favorite movies list) is Disney's Beauty and the Beast, an amazing combination of brilliant, breath-taking animation and wonderfully engaging songs. Until 1992, when the film was in theaters, I thought nothing could ever surpass Pinocchio, but this one does by just a bit.

A sentimental favorite (I worked on two productions of it in high school) is The Music Man, for me one of those movies I cannot channel-surf past. If I come upon it while I'm flipping through stations, the surfing stops right there. I think other films have better songs, but none has a total soundtrack, from beginning to end, of songs that make me feel happier. Have you ever noticed that "Goodnight, My Someone" has the same melody as "76 Trombones," only slowed down?

I don't like to sing duets when I'm at karaoke with friends, mostly because I only get a handful of songs and I like to sing metal stuff. The exception is "Suddenly, Seymour," from Little Shop of Horrors, another favorite. The combination of dark lyrical themes and traditional-sounding Broadway-type melodies is too much for me to resist. That moment when Steve Martin launches into "Dentist!" is one of the funniest moments in film. Rick Moranis as Seymour is just freaking terrific. He's so used to being a second banana that he carries an unassuming humility that fits the role perfectly in this, a lead role.

My pick for underrated musical is The Muppet Movie, something that seems to have been dismissed as a kids' movie. It is that, but if you haven't watched it attentively with your grown-up eyes, you need to! It's even cleverer than Little Shop of Horrors, in its plot and music. Typical of the good Muppets stuff (I'm talking The Muppet Show and its related ilk), it's musically witty AND lyrically witty, with such attention paid to detail that there are amusing touches in the most unexpected places. See it repeatedly, and you'll see what I mean. The details are so well-thought-out that you find something new to appreciate every time you view it. And the songs are SO singable.

You know what I don't get? How overrated Moulin Rouge! is. It's an inexorably long story, and the novelty of pop songs sung in the melodramatic movie-musical style wears thin about thirty-two bars into the first song. I'll give Ewan McGregor props for an unexpected and unbelievable great singing voice. But that's it! I find this movie such a bore!

I suppose I should mention Singin' in the Rain, very nearly a perfect movie musical, and another one of those film that makes you feel happy every time. My problem with this one is that long, surreal scene with the long flowing bedsheets. What the heck IS that? It brings the whole film to a crazy standstill.

You can take a look at the fifty most popular (based on number of votes, not on average rating) movie musicals at IMDb here, if you're interested.

What are some of your favorite movie musicals? Which do you consider overrated or underrated? Do you have a least-favorite?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: What Are Your Favorite Movie Musicals?

A quick list of a few favorites that I return to from time to time:

1. A Hard Days Night - yes, The Beatles... they do sing in this!!!
    2. Grease - good girl gone bad, good songs. "You're the One That I Want" "Beauty School Dropout" "Greased Lightning"... I like the songs more than the story.
    3. The Sound of Music - yes a huge classic from 1965. Julie Andrews lucked out with this one and Mary Poppins... 2 years in a row of hit musicals.
    4. The Wizard of Oz - "we're off to see the wizard...." "Somewhere over the rainbow...." The color is real nice in this.
    5. Mary Poppins - um... how do you spell it? "Supercalifrag...." whatever
    6. Singing in the Rain - ok who can forget that street sing with Gene Kelly singing in the rain.
    7. Little Shop of Horrors - yep, I'll go with this too.
    8. Bye Bye Birdie - saw this long, long ago. It's silly but fun.
    9. The Lion King - "Hatuna Matada"; a couple of Elton John songs.
    10. Probably something I forgot... will insert here later.

Many of the real old musicals are too corny.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

This was more challenging than I thought it would be, because most of my favorite stage musicals have never been done as films. But at the top of my cinematic list would have to be Camelot; the grandeur of the film, combined with it being one of my favorite tales, counters the number of non-singers in the cast.

Oddly enough, I seem to enjoy many movie musicals that are populated by actors who are not at their best when trying to sing. Paint Your Wagon would be another, as well as the hugely unsuccessful Bacharach/David musical version of Lost Horizon.

Despite what you all know about my non-religious leanings, I've long enjoyed both Jesus Christ Superstar and Godspell.

And I would be remiss if I failed to include that wonderful tale about the birth of this nation, 1776. Get it on DVD - the songs are catchy, the storyline is fascinating, educational, and often quite fun - in a campy sorta way, and they even restored one number that was cut under pressure from the White House! (My brother worked on the restoration of the soundtrack for DVD release.)

I would also put The Muppet Movie on my list, largely on the strength of "The Rainbow Connection" (which I am trying to learn to sing in Hawaiian).

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
      Have you ever noticed that "Goodnight, My Someone" has the same melody as "76 Trombones," only slowed down?
      I've known this for quite some time, but I was surprised to discover that the AFK, who is very musically aware, did not until I pointed it out.

Comment

Although I love so many of the traditional musicals you folks have mentioned, I think my very favorite is Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Such good writing and songcraft, well performed, and a story both joyful and tearful.

Comment

While I don't hate the musical genre, it is something I don't go out to watch, in fact I watched one by accident and that was the movie Grease way back when it first came out at the Mano Theatre in Hilo.

The various Muppet movies I would go to but that's due to it comical nature rather than the musical numbers that they do.
          Last edited by helen; July 14, 2011, 08:53 AM.

Comment

"Gypsy", "The King And I", "Lion King", "Phantom of the Opera", "Beauty and the Beast", "Singin' in the Rain", lots more these are the first ones that popped into my head.

Comment

Les Parapluies de Cherbourg ('Umbrellas of Cherbourg') w/ Catherine Deneuve (1963)...still 1 of my two best all time movies (other being Titanic [1997]).

This is sung entirely in French...I first saw it in our high school's languarge film festival back in 1973. Loved it ever since, and have the dvd...a great love story....

Comment

"Wizard of Oz". "Funny Girl", "Meet Me in St. Louis", "Hello Dolly", "The Boy Friend", "An American in Paris", 'Singin' in the Rain", "South Pacific", "Sound of Music", "Showboat" (the 30s version) ... just to name the top ten.

Comment

Chicago, Phantom of The Opera, Mama Mia are just a few that I really love just for the scores alone. and then there is Lady & The Tramp and Blue Hawaii also.
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Pink Floyd's The Wall.
                    The Rutles-It's an Eric Idle's spoof of The Beatles.

Comment

Either Mary Poppins or Jesus Christ Superstar (guess I have a soft spot for miracle workers).

Worst ever - Moulin Rouge.

Movie musical I'd like to see - Les Miserables, San Francisco stage version.

[I've always enjoyed musicals - surprised not to see A Star is Born (1976), Tommy, The Song Remains the Same, et al., above]
                      Last edited by salmoned; July 16, 2011, 06:21 PM.
                      May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

For me, I'd have to say Jesus Christ Superstar and The Wizard of Oz. How's that for an unusual pairing? There are others, but offhand, I'd say these are my two favorites. Musicals, at least for me, are guilty pleasures.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert View Post
                          "Wizard of Oz". "Funny Girl", "Meet Me in St. Louis", "Hello Dolly", "The Boy Friend", "An American in Paris", 'Singin' in the Rain", "South Pacific", "Sound of Music", "Showboat" (the 30s version) ... just to name the top ten.
                          I liked all these, except I don't know "The Boy Friend". Plus "My Fair Lady" and "The Music Man". I never got to see it, but I liked the soundtrack of "South Pacific" with Ezio Pinza and Mary Martin better than the film version. And add "Flower Drum Song", too.
                          Greg

Comment

I also love the music from South Pacific but just did not like the movie version of it. I saw a broadcast some months ago of the Broadway play that was fantastic. It starred Matthew Morrison as the Lt. and our own Loretta Ables Sayer as Bloody Mary. It was the best one I've seen.
                            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Fine, I will offer it up. . .

Team America World Police

South Park The Movie

And with the awards given to "The Book Of Mormon", Trey Parker and Matt Stone need to be taken seriously. They are more than just the Colorado Stoner hippy type, and I personally love what they do.

If you haven't seen the aforementioned flicks, it's worth the lols. Especially Team America.
                              flickr

An email from God:
                              To: People of Earth
                              Date: 9/04/2007
                              Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                              God

Comment

Working...
                              X