Where to live on O`ahu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to live on O`ahu?

With qualifications, or I'd live Sunset Beach.

My wonderful wife (I don't like that word, it sounds too possessive, and she's NOT possessed!), life partner, whatever, still works, near Moanalua.
    I don't work, except at home. She drives over 30 miles, round trip, half-hour one way.

Gas is expensive, so we want to conserve. Living past the stadium is for too much traffic! Living the other side of town is for same. Past Kahala, too much traffic (but not as bad as Aiea+). Currently we live windward, Kahalu`u, and traffic is getting worse. We have an acre really can't keep up any more, and should go to a younger family. Yet we want space around our home, even a quarter acre could do, half an acre better.

I know, I must want the impossible. A home with space around it on relatively flat land (we live on the edge of a stream cutout now, about 30 degrees average street to stream over 400 feet.) Maybe Waimanalo?

I keep thinking we need to be somewhere where the heavy traffic moves the other way... but...

I know, it's impossible, but we need fresh ideas.

Anyone want an acre, AG-1, crossing a stream in Kahalu`u, semi-landscaped?
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Re: Where to live on O`ahu?

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
    Maybe Waimanalo?
    My wife and I like it here in Waimanalo. We didn't like it quite as well before we retired from UH, since it was 35min. by car, 90min. by bus (it takes about the same to get downtown going via Hawaii Kai and Kahala or via the Pali Highway). Now that we don't need to drive to work, it's great. Most lots in the "Beach Lots", where we are, are 75f. wide and 150f. deep, which is about 1/4 acre. We would have liked more land, but just couldn't afford more.
    Greg

Comment

I used to live in Kahaluu, and the only traffic I really couldn't stand was that 1 mile stretch between the Temple Valley McDonalds and Haiku Road. In fact, that traffic was so intolerable that it was one of the primary reasons why I moved into Kaneohe: to live on the other side of that bottleneck.

There are acre-sized plots in Haiku Plantation zoned AG, and some of the plots are even on the edge of a stream. Best of all, it's on the uncongested side of that gulch.

Comment

why Oahu? You can get all you described on the Big Island for much cheaper and with the money you save, fly to Oahu for your Honolulu fix when needed. That's what I do.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          why Oahu? You can get all you described on the Big Island for much cheaper and with the money you save, fly to Oahu for your Honolulu fix when needed. That's what I do.
          'Cuz his wife works near Moanalua!

Comment

oh kay...that makes sense.

Comment

Stirring the pot . . .
              Kailua, esp. w Target and Whole Foods on the horizon

Comment

When I lived on Oahu, my preferences were East Honolulu primarily Waialae Nui Valley or East Kaimuki between Kahala and the top of Kaimuki Hill. You're close enough for the Urban action yet far enough from the urban blight. Not too far east where you catch the Kalanianaole Highway rush either way with three access points to get past Diamond Head without going on the freeway. Plus living in East Honolulu you don't have to invest in a good pair of sunglasses since the sun is on your back in the morning and afternoon.

The big drawback? Price, very expensive living out there.

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                  I used to live in Kahaluu, and the only traffic I really couldn't stand was that 1 mile stretch between the Temple Valley McDonalds and Haiku Road. In fact, that traffic was so intolerable that it was one of the primary reasons why I moved into Kaneohe: to live on the other side of that bottleneck.

There are acre-sized plots in Haiku Plantation zoned AG, and some of the plots are even on the edge of a stream. Best of all, it's on the uncongested side of that gulch.
                  I live behind the gates and you are right, the minimum size is 1 acre and zoned AG. The plots on the stream enjoy pigs roaming back and forth but they also roam the streets at certain times of the year. There are no street lights and it is very very quiet at night and even during the day - with the exception of power lawn equipment. Before I moved here I lived in the townhouses at Haiku Woods picking this area specifically to avoid the traffic past Haiku Rd. My back yard is completely out of sight from other neighbors
                  which I really enjoy and it is fenced for Manele & Koele to walk around in without fear of them running into my back forest down the hill possibly never to be seen or hear from again

Comment

Working...
                  X