Mac OSX Lion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac OSX Lion

So Apple is up to OSX 10.7 "Lion". All new Macs sold will be bundled with this new OS. Many of the Intel Macs with Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor can upgrade from Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.x) by purchasing Lion directly from the Mac App Store.

I have 2 compliant Macs, but I am in no hurry to get this. The downloadable only installer wipes your Snow Leopard out of existence by default as you upgrade to Lion. There are workarounds if you want to keep both.

This is also the first Mac OS that is not distributed using hard media such as a DVD. Apple will sell a USB flash drive version of Lion in the near future for those who want some kind of physical media.

So any of you Mac users upgraded to Lion from Snow Leopard or bought a brand new Mac with Lion pre-installed? If so tell us about your Mac OSX 10.7 experiences.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: Mac OSX Lion

I downloaded Lion Saturday morning. It took a long time to download and install (three to four hours), so be sure you have plenty of time on your hands. Of course, Saturday was probably the worst time to download and install the newest Mac OSX.

My overall impression: I like it. By far the most significant feature is the multi-touch feature (or, to be more precise, the improvement of the multi-touch feature for the Mac). If you don’t like the multi-touch pad and want to stick to a traditional mouse, then I don’t think you’ll benefit much from the upgrade. Most of the significant changes are tied directly to the multi-touch pad revisions.

For me, I love the multi-touch pad of my MacBook Pro. I think it is far superior to a mouse. But after installing Lion, I realized Apple had based the current revisions on the multi-touch version of iOS (iPhone and iPad, none of which I am familiar with), which meant that the swipes were in the opposite direction. This totally confused me because I had gotten so used to the Snow Leopard’s version of the multi-touch pad experience that it had become instinctual. In other words, I didn’t even have to think about it. But now, with this new version, I had to think about it, constantly. There is a work-around; you could go into preferences and change the direction in trackpad. But I decided to leave it as is, because, I admit, this version is much more of a natural direction, and I have been toying with the idea of getting an iPad and/or iPhone. I just have to get used to it, and so far it’s getting easier and easier.

Comment

I've used Snow Leopard for almost 6 months. I figure I'll upgrade to Lion about 6 months before it's phased out. That seems to be my pattern!

I'll follow this thread with interest, tho'!

Comment

Snow Leopard which has been around since 2009 is a great OS IMO. For now I intend to keep it as my main production operating system. I have several apps which would also require me to buy an expensive upgrade like MS Office 2008 (which works fine in Snow Leopard) and Adobe CSS 5.5.

Apple will support Snow Leopard for at least another year I think, offering us security updates and perhaps even another .X version update. The most current version is 10.6.8. There are a few bugs with it, but for the most part it's stable and very usable.

As for Lion, while one of my Macs qualify me to get a free version of this, I think I may be opting out because I don't want the download to just instantly start upgrading and erasing my Snow Leopard. What I want is a download (or physical media) that I can click on the icon and install it to say... another hard drive on my Mac. That way I can run Snow Leopard and Lion at the same time. In this set up it would be a dual boot, but I can live with that.

There may be an option to run Lion or Snow Leopard in a virtual machine like how some people run Windows in a VM while running Mac OSX at the same time. I'm not too crazy about VM's.... though I run one with Sun's Virtual Box and Ubuntu from an external drive on my Mac.

As far as "gestures" go I am not big on that either. I have owned 4 Mac laptops and the trackpad is something I hardly use. I prefer a mouse and have been using a mouse since my Mac Plus days back in the late 1980s. All of my Macs have been used with a mouse (and I've owned a number of them). Luckily with Snow Leopard and Lion, Apple still offers a mouse option (accessed from System preferences).

It is good to know that the "gestures" feature can be reversed from the factory default so that the gestures go back to the way many people are used to.

The only thing I use gestures for is my iPod Touch, which I find extremely easy mainly because the screen is small. Have not yet decided whether or not I want or need an iPad. Will probably get one someday, but it is not high on my priority list.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
        X