Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Local Rock Bands Past and Present

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    That's STAJEFRIGHT. My friend Bobby Ingano was lead guitar, they took second in an early BBTStardom, and my Kaaawa buds ZONTRAZIO took the prize. The former TWIN SIN's Scott Carter is the best guitar rocker Hawaii has ever produced, hands down, and his acoustic stuff today is just as great. Twin brother Mark also does guitar and percussion now instead of drums, he's got his own sound that compliment's his brother well. ZONTRAZIO/TWIN SIN rocked like few others, even the majors.
    Bobby Ingano has 40 years with Tamashiro Mkt's produce, and is a top call steel guitarist in the Hawaiian music scene.
    Zontrazio won the Battle of the Bands when it was held at the 50th State Fair at the Blaisdell Arena parking lot. Before it became a multi level parking lot.

Bobby Ingano also played with my drummer in The Honolulu Blues Band.

Comment

Originally posted by na alii View Post
      Battle of the Bands
      Thanx for the correction, na, and damn if I don't have to correct my own correction, STAJEFRITE, a true dbl. brain fart for Thanksgiving. Cool pic, what's the story?

Here's a boot from back in the day http://www.nme.com/nme-video/youtube/id/nJUzU8xFk78
      Can you pick him out from the pic?
      Last edited by Ron Whitfield; November 23, 2011, 11:05 PM.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Palolo Jones in the '90's

Comment

Thanx for the correction, na, and damn if I don't have to correct my own correction, STAJEFRITE, a true dbl. brain fart for Thanksgiving. Cool pic, what's the story?

Here's a boot from back in the day http://www.nme.com/nme-video/youtube/id/nJUzU8xFk78
          Can you pick him out from the pic?
          I got that pic from Carlos Barientos of Carlos' Performance Guitars. He is the same person that posted that boot of the Stagefrite video. Of the former Stagefrite members I seen Wendell Aquino, Dwayne Valdez and Gerard Gonsalves recently. In fact Wendell comes to my drummer's house after we rehearse at his house up in Palolo.

Comment

Whoa, thread revival!
            I've crossed e paths with Carlos in the past, good to hear he's got his own shop going now, I should check it out.
            That LP Bobby's holding looks like a former gold top, probably inside Hot Licks, which I need to visit asap..., they've got a great price on a cool Fender amp I want.
            Ciao, brudda!

Comment

I was in a couple bands that were active on Oahu during the early/mid 80s.

Modern Day Chumps played a lot of newer 'skinny tie' new wave rock mixed with British Invasion stuff like early Beatles and Stones. we played a lot of UH parties, smaller clubs in Waikiki and many shows at the 23rd Step in Kailua. Drummer Bill Siegmund went on to play with Sonya and the Revolucion. One of my favorite gigs was a toga party at Johnson Hall at UH, it was Animal House revisited, a totally crazy and fun event.

After that I worked with a band called Bonnie and the Clyde. We did mainly new rock from the 80s. Our mainstay was all the military clubs, all over Oahu, as well as various clubs including Cafe on the Mall (anyone remember that one?). At one point we were slated to play a big concert at Andrews Amphitheatre with Hat Makes the Man headlining, but poor ticket sales led to them cancelling the show. We were good friends with Cynthia Dee and Andy Preston from the rock station and got some cool gigs through them too.

Comment

oops I think Bill played with Stephanie Borges, not Sonja. It's been a while!

Comment

Originally posted by kauaibc View Post
                  I was in a couple bands that were active on Oahu during the early/mid 80s.

Modern Day Chumps played a lot of newer 'skinny tie' new wave rock mixed with British Invasion stuff like early Beatles and Stones. we played a lot of UH parties, smaller clubs in Waikiki and many shows at the 23rd Step in Kailua. Drummer Bill Siegmund went on to play with Sonya and the Revolucion. One of my favorite gigs was a toga party at Johnson Hall at UH, it was Animal House revisited, a totally crazy and fun event.

After that I worked with a band called Bonnie and the Clyde. We did mainly new rock from the 80s. Our mainstay was all the military clubs, all over Oahu, as well as various clubs including Cafe on the Mall (anyone remember that one?). At one point we were slated to play a big concert at Andrews Amphitheatre with Hat Makes the Man headlining, but poor ticket sales led to them cancelling the show. We were good friends with Cynthia Dee and Andy Preston from the rock station and got some cool gigs through them too.
                  I used to watch Hat Makes The Man at The Wave during the mid-late 80s. I think Peter Bond of HMTM works at Island Guitars.

Comment

I think Peter is shooting for a retirement package at Island!

Comment

The '50s had a local Drifters, someone named Baby Doll, Robin Luke, Teddy Randazzo, and some other names that I'll dredge up tomorrow, all of whom performed at Moffatt's Cavalcade Of Stars. Who the heck was Baby Doll?

Comment

Got an email submission from Martin to share in this thread:
                        As the drummer in several 'local rock bands' not mentioned, I would like to remind readers of a few.

1976 ...
                        AC/DC = Anne (vocals) and Dave (guitar) Cowan (not the Australian band)
                        Played: Jazz Cellar / Wave ? ? ?

1977 ...
                        Bright Eye Band : http://www.brighteyeband.n.nu
                        Y'Tube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kn2ANWp_u4
                        Played: Pirate Bully Hayes Place, Pearl City + The Second Floor & 23rd Step & Kailua Beach Park, Kailua + Undersea World, Hau'ula + 1977 World Surfing Champion Awards, Turtle Bay Resort + 9th Sunshine Festival, Diamond Head Crater.

1978 ...
                        Sweet Fire : http://www.sweetfire.n.nu
                        Played: Pirate Bully Hayes, Pearl City + Pinky's Broiler, Kailua + Blaisdell Arena, Honolulu.

1980's ...

Cactus Jack aka The Bad Guys
                        Played: The Canoe Hut + Sandbox + Little Orphan Annie's + Gussie L'Amour's + Shasteen's, Hilton Hawaiian Village.

Darn Tootin'
                        Played: The Red Lion, Lewers Street

Contraband
                        Played: The Canoe Hut + Green Rose & Walton's Mountain, Lewers Street + Blue Water Café, Kuhio.

I also played drums with Eddie Zany at The Green Rose, Lewers Street.

Another band (I was not in): The Electric Rangers, played at The Red Lion, Lewers Street.
                        If anyone wants to get in touch, email bright.eye.band.1977@gmail.com!

Comment

Beowulf, Blitzen, and Mic Linder were some other bands that played around here back in the 70s.
                          Anybody remember gigs at Tables out Sand Island park side?

Comment

I fondly remember Allison Flyer and The Piranha Brothers at Little Orphan Annies but they were from the mainland; The Piranha Brothers were from Chicago, don't know where Allison Flyer was from.

Zuproc was a local band and very good, I remember they played a couple of UFO song. Peter Rabbit was another band that played there but I don't know if they were local or not.

Comment

Originally posted by shall View Post
                              I fondly remember Allison Flyer and The Piranha Brothers at Little Orphan Annies but they were from the mainland; The Piranha Brothers were from Chicago, don't know where Allison Flyer was from.

Zuproc was a local band and very good, I remember they played a couple of UFO song. Peter Rabbit was another band that played there but I don't know if they were local or not.
                              I first saw The Piranha Brothers in 1979 at Luck Pierre's in the Puck's Alley. They were coming back to the islands off and on until Mike McGraw and Tom made the islands their permanent home in 1992. They still play till this day and can bee seen at Moose McGillycuddy's in Waikiki.

As far as Zuproc, they were a local band with Brian Corpuz(lead guitar) which started the band. Corpuz spelled backwards is Zuproc. Then you had Jay Buchalter(lead vocals), Billy Mousser(bass), Joe Galisa(guitar), Allen Scott aka Pinhead (drums). Sadly Joe Galisa passed away.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Beowulf, Blitzen, and Mic Linder were some other bands that played around here back in the 70s.
                                Anybody remember gigs at Tables out Sand Island park side?
                                My friend Alvin Fejarang played in Beowulf. He was a lso the drummer in Kalapana. He's back in the islands after 30 years on the mainland and plays with a few bands including my bassist's other band called 40 Over.

Comment

Working...
                                X