Hot Summer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Summer!

Its been a very hot summer in most of the country. Not in San Diego, at least not yet. Its been in the low 70's, clear and sunny, really nice for several weeks. Not so nice in the Midwest and the East where record heat has baked whole regions. In Texas its been over 100 for over a month now, and combined with a drought its been especially tough on them. Rather than consider the possibility that Al Gore was right on global warming (OK, climate change) Gov. Rick the Hick Perry's Christian political rally says God Is Angry. Gee, at who? At what? Could God be punishing Texas because of gays? Because of abortion? Because of evil-ution? Its so much easier to blame it on God than learn anything about CO2 and its effect on planet weather....certainly than to ever admit that Al Gore (with his silly Lock Box for Social Security--how could we have afforded 2 wars and tax breaks for billionaires without raiding the Social Security trust fund??) could have been right about anything. Anyway, it looks like the hot spell and drought in Texas and Oklahoma and the rest of the Babble Belt is going to be used as an excuse for the next pogrom.

Re: Hot Summer!

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
    In Texas its been over 100 for over a month now, and combined with a drought its been especially tough on them.
    If god is angry at anyone, it is obvious who she is most angry with. I wonder if they are going to tell god, "Don't mess with Texas." What a bunch of blowhards!
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Count me as someone who doesn't find much humor in jokes about the current heatwave. People are getting ill and dying from heat stroke, whether it be red states (Texas) or blue (Maine). As far as I can see, God is playing no favorites when it comes to political persuasion.

A couple of weeks ago, I was in New York City where highs reached 105 F. And with the humidity, it felt like 115 deg. Even the night-time weather didn't bring much relief. It was just miserable. Couldn't wait to get back home from my business trip.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

One night about 20 years ago we were driving home from a party at midnight, the car radio was on reporting it was 90 deg. at midnight with a forecast high of 125 for the next day. We drove along for miles just repeating 90 degrees at midnight, 125 tomorrow, in disbelief. Fortunately that did not materialize, it was 'only' 105' or so the next day. It is not always moderate weather here.

I don't know how or why people in the Midwest put up with the endless freezing winters, spring with tornados, summer with 114 and humidity and mosquitos the size of barns. How did the indians survive in the Chicago area without AC or central heating?

Comment

How did the indians survive in the Chicago area without AC or central heating?
          They had no tall buildings or black roads to keep in the heat. They had trees to regulate the climate.
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

This has been a very wet summer in Kahalu`u.
            First flood brought a 40 foot tree trunk downstream, stripped of bark and branches, to lie along our south stream bank - an annoyance.

The second flood took away the tree trunk to ??? K-Bay???
            It also flooded Ahuimanu road to a depth of four feet!!! The chain-link fence was filled with leaves, etc., to that level!!!

We are lucky to still have an upper Ahuimanu Road. Come try see!

Heat, rain, water, air, guess it's time for another earthquake....
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Breeze patterns are disrupted by buildings.
              Burl Burlingame
              "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

it used to be a lot more moderate here on Oahu also. Of course, that was before all the houses were built in Mililani and Kapolei. In place of agriculture lands and all the trees and greenery - we now have concrete and asphalt.

Paradise has now been paved.
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

This Hawaii summer is the 2nd cool one in a row, and Winter's lately have been mild, not much change per seasons now, I like it!

How did the indians survive in the Chicago area without AC or central heating?
                  Margaritas at the riverside, baby!
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

What's the difference between a Hot Summer and a Cruel Summer?

Comment

A woman from Gulf coast Florida, Clearwater, says "back in the day" people knew how to build houses to maximize breezes, she said intro of AC actually ended heating up the climate there because there was no incentive to build to accomodate to the environment. Asphalt streets and parking lots, flat black tile roofs, low ceilings, etc. She said that even on the Gulf coast it was seldom unpleasantly hot. I saw an article on most influential inventions of the 20th century and AC was very close to the top: Houston, Dallas, Las Vegas, Atlanta, Phoenix, etc, would all be a lot less habitable without it than they are now, their populations would probably be in the thousands instead of in the millions without it.

Comment

The whole business of praying for respite from natural occurrences seems a bit weird. Especially when Texas has done everything in its power to prohibit fedrul guvmint interference in CO2 emissions, even to deny the existence of global climate change caused by the highest CO2 levels in human history. It is said that The Lord Helps Those Who Help Themselves, so expecting The Lord to save Texas from the consequences of excess CO2 emissions when the government and business of that state have done everything in their power to allow those emissions to increase without limit seems a bit unrealistic, kind of like having a 4 pack a day habit and expecting the Lord to save you from cancer. I think we need to put forth at least some genuine good faith effort if there can be any expectation for The Lord's help. Beyond that, isn't it a bit primitive to blame every bump in the road on God? I always crack up watching an athlete interviewed after a big game, giving all the praise and glory to Jesus for their victory. What--God didn't like the other team? Or getting the best in modern medical treatment and coming out of the hospital and giving all the credit to prayer. Sure, it might have helped, but didn't the doctors, medicines, treatments help at least a little bit? You hit a long fly ball, give praise to Jesus. Somebody caught it so you are out, was that Satan working against you or God working for the guy who caught it? Its so primitive, so childish. So pray on Texas, God will grant you cooler weather and rain. Just wait a few months for Him to get to your prayers, He is working through a huge pile of prayer requests on His desk now including that big Texas-Oklahoma game later this fall. I wonder who God has chosen to win.

Comment

Working...
                        X