Best way to sell gold jewelry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to sell gold jewelry

I've been hanging on to a couple of pieces of gold jewelry I no longer wear, waiting for a good time to sell. It seems that's now!

I've read some "how to" tips, including on bankrate.com. Just wondering if any HTers have recommendations for local stores.

Re: Best way to sell gold jewelry

check your PM's.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Today was an all time high, but I would still wait . . . it is only going to get higher.
      flickr

An email from God:
      To: People of Earth
      Date: 9/04/2007
      Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
      God

Comment

I know people who have had good luck with Kama'aina metals.

Comment

At the urging and recommendation of a friend, my daughter and I took several pieces of jewelry to Pacific Diamond and Swiss Watch Exchange today. DAYAM! I wish Kona Village Resort was open for business. I'd already be packed and on my way to the airport!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            At the urging and recommendation of a friend, my daughter and I took several pieces of jewelry to Pacific Diamond and Swiss Watch Exchange today. DAYAM! I wish Kona Village Resort was open for business. I'd already be packed and on my way to the airport!!!
            Congratulations on your soon 10,000th post!

Wish I had caught this thread earlier.

For broken jewelry, you went to a good, reputable place. However if you sold it for meltdown value, you may have done better.

First step is to get a good retail appraisal. Everything has a retail price, wholesale price and mfg. cost. With a retail appraisal, you know how much it can sell in stores. Then mark it down a bit and try to sell it at a consignment shop; some antique stores do consignment. They will take a portion also, so what you get will be more like a wholesale price (IF it sells). Meltdown will get you less than half that.

Gold has soared in the last few years, and lately it has been up and down from a low of about 1400 to a high of 1800 currently about 1700 per ounce. 3 years ago it could be had for about $400. Wish I had bought more.

Frankly, I'm not selling - yet. I'll wait until the economic collapse and the devaluation of our currency due to our inept 'leaders,' then I will use it to live on.

Remember, there was a time when $20 bought you an ounce of gold. I'm not an economist, but it doesn't take much to see something went wrong, and it's getting wronger.
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Here it comes! My 10,000th post! Can't say I'm proud of that but the ride has been fun!!!

I'm sure I could've gotten more for the jewelry if I had been willing to invest the time. But, the best piece was personalized with my name and several other pieces were either broken or missing their mates! All pieces had been sitting in a plastic baggie in the back of a drawer for about 20 years. I see it as a win-win situation...as long as I never learn what the true value was!

Comment

Congrats for the 10K posts - I think? Whatever, its a milestone event!

I hope you sold the pieces at a place that gave you the value of the gold itself, not the jewelry pieces themselves. I think thats how most places buy but I'm certainly no expert. The place I go to is people that I know so I'm sure I get a fair price. Hope you got the same!
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

A close friend of mine had just gotten married. The honeymoon hike was in a place called Sultan ,Washington.
                  Along the trail in a small creek he spotted a small crescent shaped object. Upon weighing the nugget it turned out to be 36 grams.
                  Keep an eye open for small wonders.

Comment

Originally posted by lensperson View Post
                    A close friend of mine had just gotten married. The honeymoon hike was in a place called Sultan ,Washington.
                    Along the trail in a small creek he spotted a small crescent shaped object. Upon weighing the nugget it turned out to be 36 grams.
                    Keep an eye open for small wonders.
                    That's some nugget! A Troy ounce is 31.1 grams, today's price was $1750/oz.! Someone should be up there panning that creek! Is there a gold mine upstream?
                    ~ ~

Comment

With gold being so expensive, it must really be affecting the stores that sell gold jewelry. Who could afford to buy a heavy chain necklace, or Hawaiian Heirloom style bracelet, when the price of workmanship is added to the high price of the gold .... I bet not the average Christmas shopper this year.
                      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I saw the nugget with my own eyes and hefted it in my hands.
                        Gold is a very dense metal . The likely source of the nugget was no doubt somewhat upstream .
                        The effects of stream erosion were apparent.
                        The hills above the site are very rugged but no doubt the object was carried away from a vein somewhere in the mountains.
                        Prospecting these areas involves a lot of leg work.

Comment

Ah, found gold!

The likely source of the nugget was no doubt somewhat upstream .
                          The effects of stream erosion were apparent.
                          The hills above the site are very rugged but no doubt the object was carried away from a vein somewhere in the mountains.
                          Prospecting these areas involves a lot of leg work.
                          I did a bit of research and discovered a gold mine in the hills above Sultan, the "45 mine." Also the stream itself was worked with panning and sluice-mining in the mid 1800's. I also noted that a dam had been put in the river, but I don't know if it was above or below the mine; a dam would likely stop placer gold from continuing downstream.
                          A one-ounce nugget is a rare find, even rarer that it would not have settled down in the silt.
                          Looks like that creek is ripe for more exploration!
                          ~ ~

Comment

Those old mining camps are extremely fascinating.
                            One sees the rusting remains of the technologies of that time sitting amongst rushing streams and dry gullies.
                            The old episodes of "Kung Fu" give some flavor to that era.
                            Another epic saga is the Comstock Lode in Nevada which flooded the world market with Silver.
                            The tv show "Bonanza" deals with cultural upheaval associated with all that.

Comment

Those old mining camps are extremely fascinating.
                              One sees the rusting remains of the technologies of that time sitting amongst rushing streams and dry gullies.
                              Makes me want to grab my camera and go there.

Comment

Working...
                              X