Best Buy - Never Again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Buy - Never Again!

I've had some bad experiences at the Best Buy store on Alakawa St before, which obviously shows bad management. I mean, I've worked in retail long enough to know that poor employee behavior is a reflection of the management.

Anyway, I thought I'd give them another try with the huge discounted HP TouchPad. As some of you might know, HP decided to end their tablet business with a fire sale. The TouchPads were selling for $99/$149 each. From this bad weekend experience, I will no longer set my foot inside Best Buy ever again.

Friday evening: HP announces the fire sale and Best Buy in Canada immediately drops the price to $99.

Saturday 10am: I visit Best Buy on Alakawa St. They tell me they are sending their units back to HP and will have no sale.

Saturday 4pm: I visit Best Buy again to make sure they are not selling them. They confirm that they are sending them back.

Saturday 5:15pm: After hearing a new corporate announcement, my friend calls Best Buy on Alakawa St and gets a pre-recorded message saying that all units will be sold at the discounted price starting when doors open at 10am on Sunday morning.

Sunday 9:40am: I show up at Best Buy on Alakawa St and stand in line with another 80 or so customers hoping to get their hands on a TouchPad. They had also been told that the sale was to start at 10am. In the meantime, staff walk by not saying anything.

Sunday 10:01am: The doors open and people rush in. The sales rep manning the tablet section says: "Sorry, the TouchPads sold out last night". Upon me mentioning that it violated the corporate announcement, he said "management decided to sell them early".

WTF!!!??? Talk about poor PR, no integrity, and lying to customers. Something shady sure went down and someone needs to be held accountable.

Re: Best Buy - Never Again!

somebody probably offered to buy the entire lot and sold it that way. Or BB employees got their hands on them beforehand.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Whatever, that's dirty. I plan on a couple of buys tomorrow at that store and I'll be bringing it up with the mgr., maybe I can get a discount!
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Best Buy - Huh?

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
        Whatever, that's dirty. I plan on a couple of buys tomorrow at that store and I'll be bringing it up with the mgr., maybe I can get a discount!
        While high employee turnover and fire sale chaos seem to be a frequent part of the Best Buy mantra, I myself have generally had a good experience. The laptop I bought there, and am using right now, was cheaper than anything I could get at Costco. Best Buy’s extended warranties are usually more affordable than Sears. I am disappointed that their Home Theater section seems to be shrinking. Let us know how everything turned out, Ron!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

Re: Best Buy - Huh?

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
          While high employee turnover and fire sale chaos seem to be a frequent part of the Best Buy mantra, I myself have generally had a good experience. The laptop I bought there, and am using right now, was cheaper than anything I could get at Costco. Best Buy’s extended warranties are usually more affordable than Sears. I am disappointed that their Home Theater section seems to be shrinking. Let us know how everything turned out, Ron!
          I'm sure there's nothing wrong with their products. So as long as you know what you are buying and don't have to rely on the sales people then you should be fine. However, that is not enough to bring me back into the store.

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
            somebody probably offered to buy the entire lot and sold it that way. Or BB employees got their hands on them beforehand.
            Two of these are on Craigslist.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/sys/2567341397.html

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/sys/2567340375.html
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

At $250/$300??? All I can say to this seller (a loser who works at Best Buy, no doubt),....

GOOD LUCK finding a sucker who's bigger than you are!!!!
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

If it wasn't a dead product I would pay that but might as well just get the upcoming Android tablet by Amazon at $299.

Comment

Had a sweet portable hard drive picked up for me today, Seagate 1TB for $80 on sale = OK deal, so I couldn't play the mgr. game, and they were sold out of the router I wanted... I've had suitable experiences there as well, not enuf floor walkers but decent deals and they'll match prices. Chances are I could have swung the deal. There seems to have been no excuse per the op tho.
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Being a techno nerd, I like to challenge Best Buy sales associates with their knowledge. If they pass I thank them and ask for their opinions. If they fail I ignore them at that point.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

The last two things I've bought at the Alakawa store had delivery issues. A year ago, I bought a TV that was delivered without a user manual. Repeated calls got me promises to get a manual to me, but I never got one. Last Fall I bought a washer that needed a Y-connection (to the cold water supply) to be hooked up at my house, which I told BB about when I ordered, but the installer just refused to install it properly. Very irritating. However, the BB prices for both items were good, and I could deal with the issues. Next time, though, Sears will be my first choice for things like that.
                      Greg

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                        Being a techno nerd, I like to challenge Best Buy sales associates with their knowledge. If they pass I thank them and ask for their opinions. If they fail I ignore them at that point.
                        Bet you're not as big a geek as this guy.

This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Re: Best Buy - Huh?

Originally posted by amagab View Post
                          I'm sure there's nothing wrong with their products. So as long as you know what you are buying and don't have to rely on the sales people then you should be fine. However, that is not enough to bring me back into the store.
                          That’s your decision, but IMHO, it could happen anywhere. Like Craig Watanabe said, a simple test of the salesperson’s knowledge can determine if you are talking to the right person. I have found that on balance, there are more of them that know what they’re talking about then don’t.

Not to mention the sheer volume of customers in there would overwhelm a typical convenience store clerk... so these folks are under a lot of pressure. If you need real help, avoid the ones in with white polo shirts. Those guys are “in training.”

Someone correct me, but my understanding is the only ones who actually make commission are the “Best Buy Mobile” reps. Besides the managers, the rest are mostly hourly employees trying to pay their way through college, so I do my own research before putting boots on the ground in that place.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                          USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                            Bet you're not as big a geek as this guy.

If he's a real geek, it's a stick-on tattoo.

Comment

I have two friends who had trouble with appliances purchased from BB. I usually buy from Sears anyway, but I tell people to stay away from major appliances at BB.

My biggest pet peeve about BB is that their in-store prices are higher, sometimes significantly more than their online price (with in-store pickup). I feel that is really dishonest and takes advantage of those who don't play that game with them. If you've never noticed, take note of the price of an item inside a BB then go to their website and look up the same item and see if they offer in-store pickup.
                              Last edited by bueller555; August 28, 2011, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X