The 27 Club is a Crock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 27 Club is a Crock

The death of Amy Winehouse brought a storm of eulogistic speeches for Amy Winehouse's induction into the so-called 27 Club. I am not one to speak ill of the dead; nor am I the sort to rain on someone's funeral procession, so I've been holding this in ever since July 23. It's now a couple of days past a month later: not too soon, right?

It's one thing to talk about Brian Jones, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, and Jim Morrison ('though I probably wouldn't put Jones in the group, since one would hardly call him iconic while the other three were practically living symbols of their profession and time). It's another thing entirely to include Kurt Cobain (whom I love), Robert Johnson, and Amy Winehouse. Cobain obviously passes the icon test, and when he killed himself I went to bed for three days and never left the apartment, so I am not minimizing his significance.

But you can't just add people to the supposed group because of an age. People die all the time, and they die at all ages, and they die from all walks of life. It's somewhat chilling, I'll admit, to think of Hendrix, Joplin, and Morrison all dying at that age and within ten months of each other, and there is some poetry there because of the way they lived and because of the crazy state of music and culture they left behind. The others on the list just don't pass that test. You can keep lowering the requirement for initiation into Mensa, but keep doing it and it ceases to be Mensa.

The creeping hyperbole of musicians' deaths is a disservice to the musicians. For all her talents, Winehouse never attained either the cultural icon status of Morrison, Hendrix, or Joplin, OR the musical portfolio that might put her in their league. The best thing music-lovers could do is to call her what she was, to evaluate her body of work on its merits, and leave it there. Enshrinement into any kind of hall of fame only turns her death into an eye-rolling exaggeration.

Besides: the real age-death club should be 42. Check out the musical talents who died at that age.

The 42 Club
    Elvis Presley
    Peter Tosh
    Billy Fury
    Freddie King ("The Texas Cannonball," one of the Three Kings of Blues Guitar)
    Charlie Patton ("Father of the Delta Blues")
    Robbin Crosby (of Ratt)
    Rob Fisher (of Naked Eyes)

PLUS these other iconic figures:
    Gilda Radner
    John Wesley Hardin
    Divine
    Gary Coleman
    Robert Mapplethorpe

I'm 42 now, so if I don't make it to early January, you could add me to the club, too.
    Last edited by scrivener; August 31, 2011, 07:30 PM. Reason: "out on the streets: that's where we'll meet..."
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: The 27 Club is a Crock

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    People die all the time, and they die at all ages...
    That's the key. If you just want to focus on rock stars, think of all the hundreds of them still alive today, well past 27 or 42 (which we all know is the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything).

The human brain looks for patterns, no matter how coincidental. Look how often we learn of celebrity deaths - one dies, another soon after, then we say "these come in threes; who's next?" It's nonsense. (Though I'm surprised I didn't hear that after the recent passing of Jerry Leiber & Nick Ashford.)

Comment

I too didn't want to be disrespectful to her passing or her mourning fans. She was talented no doubt, had such potential to become an icon, but sadly passed away too soon. The 42 list is impressive, again Scriv I learned something new from you. Twice in one day!
      ___
      "Be god to each other."

Comment

Besides: the real age-death club should be 42. Check out the musical talents who died at that age.

The 42 Club
        Elvis Presley
        Peter Tosh
        Billy Fury
        Freddie King ("The Texas Cannonball," one of the Three Kings of Blues Guitar)
        Charlie Patton ("Father of the Delta Blues")
        Robbin Crosby (of Ratt)
        Rob Fisher (of Naked Eyes)

PLUS these other iconic figures:
        Gilda Radner
        John Wesley Hardin
        Divine
        Gary Coleman
        Robert Mapplethorpe
        Going with your criteria on "living symbols of their profession and time" and their body of work in relation to music, about the only one that I would consider for the 42 club is Elvis Presley.

Presley was huge and encompassed several eras mainly 50s to 60s, changed in the mid 60s to 70s and appealed to an older demographic which pretty much grew up with him during the 50s and 60s. And he had a huge inventory of hits, movies, music, album... some fantastically great, others loved by true fans and perhaps many songs long forgotten.

So yes, Elvis to me, is right up there and probably surpassed Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, and Jimi Hendrix from the original 27 and Kurt Cobain which I would put in the same league.

I agree with you on Amy Winehouse. Her passing like all others was tragic, but the body of her work is relatively small, and her popularity not as great as the "icons".

Going back to your list, the fact that you had to state who Freddie King, Charlie Patton, Robin Crosby and Rob Fisher were just tells me that you had to let people know who these persons were to qualify into that 42 age group.

About the only one after Elvis who comes close but not quite in my book is Peter Tosh... and he is of course overshadowed by Bob Marley.

As for the other "iconic" figures not associated with music... um... I would not consider to put any of them into the same rank as Elvis, Hendrix, Joplin, Morrison and Cobain.

Anyway, just my worthless take on this opinion.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

What about me, Mel?
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

What about me, Mel?
            Rest assured... you will long surpass the January deadline you set up for yourself in the pursuit of LIFE. Plus you still have to release more music. I only have one single from you.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

('though I probably wouldn't put Jones in the group, since one would hardly call him iconic while the other three were practically living symbols of their profession and time).
              Jones was only THE founder of the Rolling Stones and the leader of the group as indicated by his prominent placement in early publicity photos and his role as the de-facto manager. A heckuva slide guitarist and the most instrumentally versatile musician of the lot. But in the mind of many casual Stones "fans" (i.e. those who cannot identify between the keyboard playing of Ian Stewart and Nicky Hopkins to save their life), Mick Jagger was the leader. Since he was the lead singer, he just HAD to be, right?

Substance abuse and personal problems set the stage for Jones' gradual displacement as a musical and management leader. By the time he quit, Jones had become more of a liability rather than an asset to the Rolling Stones in their operations as a world-touring box-office money-making machine.

But how did the band get to that point in the first place?

Food for thought.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

List lists lists. You can make a list for just about anything, and depending on how slow the news is (or how desperate to find "a story"), the media has a tendency to "make" news sometimes. How about lists for:

Rockers who died “in a plane crash”

Otis Redding
                Ricky Nelson
                John Denver
                Buddy Holly
                Jim Croce
                Stevie Ray Vaughan
                Richie Valens

Want something more obscure? Something more along the lines of "at 27":

Rockers "With a “M” in their name who overdosed"
                Jim Morrison
                Jimi Hendrix
                Keith Moon
                Michael Jackson

The dead-at-27 is just one of the lists that gets revived every now and then, when the media needs a story line.
                Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                  I only have one single from you.
                  Whoa! Wait! What's this?!?

America (well, HT at least) demands more details! And YouTube clips! Bootlegs galore!

Comment

Only 42, that explains a lot.
                    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                      Only 42, that explains a lot.
                      And yet ... so much ahead is still a mystery. Keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        Whoa! Wait! What's this?!?

America (well, HT at least) demands more details! And YouTube clips! Bootlegs galore!
                        Listen to/download "River of Love" from here. (This will probably throw this entire thread off topic)
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

How about the people who made it big with a hit song or hit tv show, or an athlete who won a championship at age 27?

Comment

...and Whitney Houston makes it to 48.

Comment

Working...
                            X