Hawaii #1 in work place meth use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii #1 in work place meth use

When you hear drug abuser, you imagine some selfish slacker, but sometimes a person takes drugs so they can work harder.
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Re: Hawaii #1 in work place meth use

Another dubious honor for the state among other honors such as "largest tax burden", "high cost of living", "hostile business climate", "worst traffic", etc.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
      Another dubious honor for the state among other honors such as "largest tax burden", "high cost of living", "hostile business climate", "worst traffic", etc.
      Lucky you live Hawai`i, eh?

Comment

I wonder why they don’t just try this? How does the price stack up to meth?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
          When you hear drug abuser, you imagine some selfish slacker, but sometimes a person takes drugs so they can work harder.
          The article was perhaps written by a defense attorney?
          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I found the article interesting because it made me aware of my stereotyping.

Originally posted by Amati View Post
            The article was perhaps written by a defense attorney?
            I don't see the article as defending drug use. Is the meth user a mother working hard to provide for her family? It's sorta honorable, but she's doing her family more harm than good. Is the meth user funding an excessive, selfish lifestyle? That's one case where working hard isn't a positive thing.

To me, the article is a sad commentary about the world we've created for ourselves.

On a tangent, caffeine is a drug which allows people work harder but at the cost to their health. It's interesting to think about why it's socially acceptable, and why companies encourage their workers to consume it.
            "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
            "

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
              Is the meth user a mother working hard to provide for her family? It's sorta honorable, but she's doing her family more harm than good. Is the meth user funding an excessive, selfish lifestyle? That's one case where working hard isn't a positive thing.

To me, the article is a sad commentary about the world we've created for ourselves.
              Nope. I don't agree with that last statement. At all.

Crystal meth addicts ruin their own lives.... at their own hands. Society as a whole is not to blame.

As Tunnl correctly points out,... if someone has to work a grueling schedule, then there are legal stimulants that will help you to stay awake.

The folks who seek out and put themselves at risk to do some batu,.... they're doing it for the temporary pleasure of experiencing an intense high.

There's nothing honorable or admirable about that.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I know quite a few tweakers but most are not in the workplace.

Comment

The German army used to hand it out to its soldiers to keep them going longer and to help fight fatigue. "Bennys" were popular back in the 1950's, which were the precursor to meth. They were legal and were prescribed for everything from helping to focus and be more productive at work to weight loss. An interesting biography of meth, so to speak, is called No Speed Limit by Frank Owen. Was required reading for one of my rehab classes.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                    Another dubious honor for the state
                    Yup. Hawaii will remain paradise for a lucky few, but paradise lost for most.

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                    How does the price stack up to meth?
                    Well that site lists caffeine at $22/oz. Another site estimates meth at $1700/oz.

Of course, long term caffeine use has a non-monetary price.

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                    Crystal meth addicts ruin their own lives.... at their own hands. Society as a whole is not to blame.
                    I agree that for a drug addict to recover, they need to take responsibility for their addiction. The individual bears the brunt of the blame, but humans are social creatures and society does have a significant influence on individual behavior.

The folks who seek out and put themselves at risk to do some batu,.... they're doing it for the temporary pleasure of experiencing an intense high.
                    That brings me to another tangent: I believe EVERY human action is motivated by selfishness. Even the most admired saint is acting selfishly. Selfishness isn't bad in and of itself. I find it enlightening to look for the selfish angle in every act.

Originally posted by Albert View Post
                    I know quite a few tweakers but most are not in the workplace.
                    Heh heh. I'm sure there must be some non-traditional job they're good at

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                    An interesting biography of meth, so to speak, is called No Speed Limit by Frank Owen. Was required reading for one of my rehab classes.
                    Thanks for mentioning the book; I haven't heard of that one. The history of drugs is an interesting one. It's sad and amusing to learn Bayer marketed heroin as a cure for morphine addiction
                    "

Comment

I'm not really sure what the concern here is, unless it's the illegality itself. If the people around you are on meth and you never know it, why should you care? It's only when behaviors become negative that you'd have any reason for concern, and those tend to take care of themselves in the workplace: with enough negative behavior, the person is soon no longer in the workplace.
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                        If the people around you are on meth and you never know it, why should you care?
                        On a practical level, yeah, it doesn't matter to others if the negatives don't affect them. I'm sure there's a decent number of high functioning drug abusers. Hopefully they're nice enough to crawl under a rock and die if they're about to crash-n-burn. I just have a feeling they tend to take others down with them, in various ways and degrees.

It's only when behaviors become negative that you'd have any reason for concern, and those tend to take care of themselves in the workplace: with enough negative behavior, the person is soon no longer in the workplace.
                        True, but it can take a painfully long time for them to leave, especially if they avoid pissing off the people with power, or if they're protected by say union contracts.
                        "

Comment

If the people around you are on meth and you never know it, why should you care?
                          Hmm, does this analogy work?

"A drunk driver should not be punished, until after they kill someone."
                          "

Comment

I dunno. So, for example, you'd be perfectly okay with a meth-head running kindergarten classes, as long as you weren't aware of it?

Comment

Well it seems that one arguement wants all those on welfare to be drug tested...

Now it seems that SOME of our workplace employees are on Meth! Let's be fair and across the board, let's simply drug test everyone since everybody is suspect now.
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                              X