MSN: 10 most fun, affordable U.S. cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSN: 10 most fun, affordable U.S. cities

Spotted this list on my MSN home page. Hawaii gets not just one but two listings.

Affordable? Really? And some of the writer's comments. Hmmmm.

Re: MSN: 10 most fun, affordable U.S. cities

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    Spotted this list on my MSN home page. Hawaii gets not just one but two listings.

Affordable? Really? And some of the writer's comments. Hmmmm.
    It then selected the 25 areas with the greatest number of bars and restaurants
    Heck it is a good list for fun areas if you want to reside near bars and restaurants, and if the price of a "median" home includes your considering $552,100 [citydata.com 2009] as less important for "affordability" than how many bars/restaurants there are nearby.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

These ranked lists are so pervasive, I sincerely doubt any of them are put together with more than a minimum of thought. This one doesn't even have a date, so for all we know, it was published years ago. What's particularly telling is that it's ZIP-code based, meaning the conclusions were probably drawn from very, very broad demographic data, rather than from any editorial insight.

Indeed, the captions for the cities sound like a computer may very well have written the whole piece. For example:

"The Ala Moana-Kakaako section of Honolulu has a number of restaurants and bars along Ala Moana Boulevard, South King Street and Kapiolani Boulevard, according to yellowpages.com."

And:

"The Makiki section of Honolulu, just two miles from downtown, has views of the Pacific Ocean and Diamond Head. There are restaurants and bars on Bishop Street, Alakea Street and Fort Street Mall, according to yellowpages.com."

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
        This one doesn't even have a date, so for all we know, it was published years ago.
        Going by the comments, however, they appear to be less than 24 hours old (as of this posting).
        Indeed, the captions for the cities sound like a computer may very well have written the whole piece...
        "... according to yellowpages.com."
        Or an advertiser, like, oh - I dunno ... maybe yellowpages.com?

Comment

Indeed, the captions for the cities sound like a computer may very well have written the whole piece.
          Yeah, I know. Who the heck talks about the "Ala Moana-Kakaako secton"? Much less differentiate that from "The Makiki section". Apparently no one looked at a map to realize that it was basically "Honolulu".

Comment

"The Ala Moana-Kakaako section of Honolulu has a number of restaurants and bars along Ala Moana Boulevard, South King Street and Kapiolani Boulevard, according to yellowpages.com."
            Sure! And when some unsuspecting boob decides to pay a visit here and starts bar-hopping in this area, he's gonna find out that the bulk of these establishments are hostess bars, where we all know that the "fun" doesn't start until you start opening your wallets to the "buy me drinkee" girls.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              And when some unsuspecting boob decides to pay a visit here
              I think boobs are always suspecting.

Comment

Da Makiki pitcher looks like Makiki.

Da Ala Moana / Kakaako pitcha no look right to me.
                Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by Palama Kid View Post
                  Da Makiki pitcher looks like Makiki.

Da Ala Moana / Kakaako pitcha no look right to me.
                  You're right! How did we all miss that (myself included)? That's on the Windward side--Kaneohe. That makes these selection even more skewed.

Comment

Working...
                  X