Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9/8 power outage in California, Arizona and Mexico

Breaking news:

A power outage is affecting millions of people across southern California, Arizona and Mexico.

San Diego Gas & Electric Co. Darcel Hulce said that crews today believe the outage was caused by a system breakdown and assured people it was not the result of a terror attack.

All outgoing flights from San Diego's Lindbergh Field have been halted and police stations are using generators to accept emergency calls.

The outage that started shortly before 4 p.m. PDT (1 p.m. Hawaii time) extends from San Clemente, Calif. to San Diego to Yuma, Ariz.. It also is affecting cities south of the border across much of the state of northern Baja.

Hulce says power may not be returned until Friday.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: 9/8 power outage in California, Arizona and Mexico

Eerie music

Area 51?

Comment

LOL, WB. I take it you saw that a repairman in Yuma caused the outage.
      And now they're saying that over 5 million people don't have power, and probably won't until late Friday.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...129498353.html

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

San Diego Power Failure

Yesterday at 3:40 pm power went out for about 4 million southern Californians from southern Orange County into Mexico and east into Arizona. It was out in this neighborhood until 1:20 am. It was very weird seeing the whole city dark. Around 10 pm it looked like a neighbor's house was on fire, I drove up to take a look, just car lights bouncing around and flickering. I drove a road on the east side of the hill and could see the whole city dark. Lights were already on in Mexico. Only one San Diego radio station was on the air, but all the Mexican ones were, though they were not covering the event.

The saddest part was having to throw out food from the refrigerator, authorities assure us it goes bad after only 4 hours, but stuff in the freezer is good for up to 2 days. It was a hot day, losing power in desert towns like Palm Springs is no joke with temps like 120 deg. We got along with a flashlight pointed at a mirror, which was pointed at the ceiling, giving enough light to not trip over and walk into things. We listened to a transistor radio and had some canned nuts for dinner. Mmmm. The neighborhood store was spending today throwing out their spoiled stock.

We do OK on emergency supplies of water, flashlights, radio, etc, but I need to lay in a bigger supply of nonperishable food. Authorities say that power can be out for over a week after a big quake or a hurricane: Be Prepared! The moon was bright, it was beautiful, it was nice to see the stars, the only lights on this side of the hill were ships at sea. There was no indication that anyone in the neighborhood had a generator, which is a little surprising.

Comment

This situation is proof that hurricane kits aren't just for hurricanes! Oahu had a black out almost 3 years ago, the day after Christmas. In some areas it lasted close to 24 hours. There were no lights visible from my perch except people with flashlights on the beach! My battery operated motion sensor lights are the first thing I bust out when the electricity flickers or we get a natural disaster warning. I also learned the hard way that a hand-crank radio/flashlight is not the way to go!

I heard the northern tip of the outage extended to Wesley Dr. in South Laguna. My calabash bros live 2 blocks further north of that street. Lucky them! I had no idea SDG&E had infiltrated Laguna.

Comment

TutuSue - a friend of mine lives in Ladera Ranch which is in Orange County, close to Rancho Santa Margerita. She was getting her hair styled at the time the power went off - apparently her hair was not a pretty sight she said on her FB page that power was off at her house until about 11:00 pm. So, it went further north than you think

edit: oops, I just realized that Ladera is about the same area as Laguna. and I think So Cal Edison was also part of the black-out.
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Yep...Ladera Ranch is inland from Laguna on the mauka side of the 5!

Comment

Years ago I laid in an earthquake supply of canned food, stashed it, and forgot about it. When I came across it again, it was way past expiration dates, the cans were all bulging, so I put the whole stash in the trash. Then, while working in the yard, a car with an elderly couple in it drove up, they took the whole stash, despite my yelling that it was dangerous. Maybe they couldn't hear. No follow up on the news of anybody getting sick or dying so maybe they just threw it all away again. The moral of the story would be to rotate thru your supplies on a regular basis. Keep some bleach on hand to treat your stored water, you can check it but I believe a few drops per gallon left to set for a half hour can make old water safe to drink. I remain convinced that something will screw up the aqueduct in So. Cal, an earthquake, terrorists, a landslide, or maybe the tax payers will just decide its too expensive to keep, like schools, and it will go out of service. If that happens people with pools will be much more popular with their neighbors than they ever imagined possible. Better safe than sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  Yep...Ladera Ranch is inland from Laguna on the mauka side of the 5!
                  i had thought Ladera Ranch was up by Anaheim Hills! Duh................
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                    i had thought Ladera Ranch was up by Anaheim Hills! Duh................
                    That's ok. I initially thought it was between Laguna and San Diego!

Comment

Working...
                    X