Evaluating tablet computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evaluating tablet computers

There has been a lot of interest over here on the mainland in tablet computers.I think a bit of comment on these devices will help the Ohana. Share opinions on these devices.I do not work for any computer companies. Respectfully,Chris

Re: Evaluating tablet computers

Like everything else, it depends on what you want to do with it.

I think your main choices is between an iPad or Android of some kind. As good as WebOS is, I'm not sure as I'd trust it to stick around.

Comment

tablet PCs are great for those who carry clipboards everywhere. I could have used this when I calibrated LPG tankers. Had a clipboard with two excel tables printed on the back for measurement purposes. The clipboard also had a compartment that held extra calibration forms, my HP11C calculator loaded up with programs to help me with the temperature compensation calculations and a spare pen in case the one I was using failed during testing.

An iPad would have reduced the whole thing to a simple app.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
        I think your main choices is between an iPad or Android of some kind. As good as WebOS is, I'm not sure as I'd trust it to stick around.
        Well for that matter, will Android-based tablets survive, in the looming shadow of the iPad?

Android platform smartphones were able to gain a foothold in the market, due to several years of AT&T's exclusive deal with Apple and the iPhone. There were a lot of people who (for various reasons) were locked into their carrier and could not switch to AT&T. But you better believe there were many Sprint and T-Mobile customers who had iPhone envy. These people "settled" for an Android or a Blackberry, because that was what was available to them. But if they were given a free choice, they would have snapped up an iPhone from day one.

The tablet market is different from the smartphone. Tablets aren't as intertwined with wireless providers as smartphones are. So when it comes to tablet shopping, consumers don't face as many restrictions. Under these conditions, the iPad has dominated, just as the iPod conquered the mp3 player market. It didn't matter that other brands sold players that were cheaper and offered more features. Consumers just seemed to gravitate towards Apple and their products.

I believe that the same thing is unfolding in the tablet market, with the iPad leaving all of it's cheaper and more feature-laden competitors in the dust.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

As a longtime Apple customer and Mac and iPod user, if and when I do decide on a tablet, I am about 99% certain that I would get an iPad. I never rush to get version 1.0 of anything, so I sat the initial iPad launch out. The iPad 2 seems to be interesting but the price points are a little too much for what I would pay for in the form of a tablet computer.

My perfect tablet would run iOS (Apple then of course) but be slightly smaller than the current crop of iPads... perhaps a 7 inch model or one the same size as the smaller Kindles I've seen from Amazon.

For now my 4th generation iPod Touch does fine for me to fill that void where I don't need a full fledged computer but would like to consume content on the go and for a cheap price... wifi where it is free is always nice. I don't want 3G because like cell phones that includes a monthly charge. As much as possible I like my devices to not be tied to a new monthly bill.

I also don't do any "in app" purchases or subscriptions. I just get those kinds of apps that I find useful or maybe entertaining, that allow me to use without incurring additional charges. I don't mind paying for a good app at the outset but I don't want to be saddled with a monthly subscription or bill to use that app.

So far in that regard there are thousands of apps that let me use or enjoy content without having to pay an additional fee. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Safari, Opera, Evernote, Google Voice, Quick Voice, Mobile RSS, iBooks, Wikipedia, Gospel Library, Notes, Mail, Flickr, iHeartRadio, Pandora, HR News, Fox News, Audio Press, NASA, Phases, Quakes, Hawaii News Now, Craigslist, Tuned In Radio, 5-0 Radio, Mactracker, and many more are some of the apps that are on my iPod Touch, that if I got an iPad, I would certainly be running them on it too.

So if you are considering a tablet, the iOS universe with its iPad and related siblings iPod Touch and iPhone is a good way to go. And like Mac OSX, so far no major malware has yet touched iOS. The only thing is to keep up with all of the Apple updates and you'd be good to go.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Fascinating and pertinent comments ! As noted above, a device is handier when aimed at a user work setting or individual needs. Apple has great product support in part due to vertical internal organization.Android is driven by a talented cloud of horizontal participants (software developers) The Sunday papers here in Seattle are full of ads for tablets. Maybe Redmond feels behind the 8 ball

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
              I also don't do any "in app" purchases or subscriptions. I just get those kinds of apps that I find useful or maybe entertaining, that allow me to use without incurring additional charges. I don't mind paying for a good app at the outset but I don't want to be saddled with a monthly subscription or bill to use that app.

So far in that regard there are thousands of apps that let me use or enjoy content without having to pay an additional fee.
              Sure, there are lots of free apps that are fun and would keep oneself occupied while out on the road, like those providing news, weather, music, and YouTube video. But if those types of free apps were the only things out there to download,.... then bah!!! I wouldn't buy a tablet just for that. For that type of content, a smartphone would do just fine.

No, what would get me to buy a tablet would be the really cool apps, like Netflix, MLB.TV, NBA League Pass mobile. These are the sort of stuff that could be watched on a smartphone, but are much more enjoyable on a tablet. They do cost $$$$, but hey. Entertainment that is high quality and in-demand doesn't come free.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                Well for that matter, will Android-based tablets survive, in the looming shadow of the iPad?
                Why not? In thinking over the history of computing, I don't think a single ecosystem has existed for long. (IBM & DEC, CP/M & DOS, PC & Mac, iPod & Zune) There may be one dominate system, but there's always another in the mix. I think to argue that Android will go away, you'd have to argue that someone else will take over second place.

Besides, I don't see Android phone users buying iPads. And I've seen a few people that have switched from Apple to Android.

At this point I think Android tablets are like Android phones a couple of year ago - playing catch up. Except for the iPod, the history of Apple is it's the first, but then surpassed by the others.

No, what would get me to buy a tablet would be the really cool apps, like Netflix, MLB.TV, NBA League Pass mobile. These are the sort of stuff that could be watched on a smartphone, but are much more enjoyable on a tablet. They do cost $$$$, but hey. Entertainment that is high quality and in-demand doesn't come free.
                Sounds like an argument for the success of Amazon's upcoming tablet.

Comment

It's a matter of priority for me. I don't want to be saddled with monthly subscription fees and am certainly not interested in Netflix, live sports webcasts or anything that is PPV. I am happy to pay for like one movie and be able to watch it over and over again without incurring an additional charge. So for me, music is a great bargain. I buy the song only once and I can play it again and again and again and again with no extra charge... when I want to and where I want to. Certainly I can get music for free with streaming sites, but then I am usually limited to what they have and if I am away from a net connection I have nothing. I do maintain offsite playlists for streaming at sites such as Google Music, Amazon.com, Gooveshark, YouTube, and some old stuff at Finetune that still plays. My songs when I want to on line or my songs that I bought when I want to listen to off line.

Again it is a matter of priority. And that is why I haven't bought a tablet. It is not that high of a priority for me. Something about a tablet (iPad) has to compel me to buy one.

I never bought or considered an iPod Touch for 3 generations of the device, until Apple decided to include a camera with the 4th generation model. Then I went and bought the top of the line model. I'm totally happy with it. I may not even need an iPad.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

It seems to me that the rush to tablets is a regression.Tablets are handy when space or job requirements mandate that modality. However, I would not want my data in a cloud . I used to cut and saw my own wood for my own fireplace. There is no kind of digital wood that will replace my own woodpile.

Comment

Why not? In thinking over the history of computing, I don't think a single ecosystem has existed for long. (IBM & DEC, CP/M & DOS, PC & Mac, iPod & Zune) There may be one dominate system, but there's always another in the mix. I think to argue that Android will go away, you'd have to argue that someone else will take over second place.
                      In this case, a second place that is so distant and tiny, as to be almost irrelevant. According to CNN, when the iPad surpassed 100,000 native apps, Android only had a little over 1,300 designed for the tablet. A mere drop in the bucket.

If you're gonna rely upon history,.... keep in mind that there was only one VCR format that the studios were selling their movies upon, when it became clear that VHS hardware was outselling Beta. And hopefully, memories aren't so short as to have already forgotten that Blu-ray now has the HD home video market to themselves, now that HD-DVD has given up the ghost.

Besides, I don't see Android phone users buying iPads.
                      Your anecdotal observations seems to be totally out-of-touch with the findings of comScore.

Finally, it should be noted that iPad owners aren’t necessarily iPhone owners too. For those tablet owners, 27.3 percent have an iPhone, while 17.5 percent have a BlackBerry. Finally, 14.2 percent of iPad owners own an Android smart phone.
                      Sounds like an argument for the success of Amazon's upcoming tablet.
                      Since all of the apps I mentioned above are available for both the iPad and Android, and are not exclusive to Amazon in any way, shape or form, one can only wonder what you are talking about.
                      Last edited by Frankie's Market; September 16, 2011, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Your anecdotal observations seems to be totally out-of-touch with the findings of comScore.
                        Let's see, despite that Android is a bit ahead on the numbers against iPhone, only half as many are found to be iPad owners. And this from 5 months ago. I'd say that Android is in start of phase as far as tablets go. That percentage may drop as time goes on.

Since all of the apps I mentioned above are available for both the iPad and Android, and are not exclusive to Amazon in any way, shape or form, one can only wonder what you are talking about.
                        That seems to be what Amazon is targeting. The pre-reviews I've see so far indicate that's it's designed to integrate all Amazon's offerings into a slick package out of the box. It may come down to who does a better store then the hardware it runs on.

Which brings up another point in Android's favor - while stores will support iPad, those that want to have a greater control over the customer's experience will avoid Apple since ultimately Apple looks out for Apple and the iTunes store. So far, B&N and Amazon are both fielding their own Android tablets to compete.

Comment

Let's see, despite that Android is a bit ahead on the numbers against iPhone, only half as many are found to be iPad owners.
                          Look back at what I wrote in post #4.

Yes, there are more Android smartphone owners out there, because as I said right from the start, AT&T had an exclusive deal with the iPhone for three-and-a-half years. With the Android available on more carriers, is it any wonder that more people bought into their system compared to Apple's? To think of this as being some kind of great achievement on Android's part is absolutely laughable.

In the tablet market, Android has no sales advantage as far as consumer choice restriction/exclusivity is concerned. This is why the non-Apple tablets are getting their sorry okoles handed to them at the sales counter, despite discounted prices. To expect that Android is going to catch-up and surpass Apple in tablet sales, just because they did so with smartphones is to not understand the key difference between the two classes of devices.

And to throw another monkey-wrench into Android's hapless pursuit: HTC is openly talking about the possibility that they will ditch the Android platform in favor of webOS.

That seems to be what Amazon is targeting. The pre-reviews I've see so far indicate that's it's designed to integrate all Amazon's offerings into a slick package out of the box. It may come down to who does a better store then the hardware it runs on.

Which brings up another point in Android's favor - while stores will support iPad, those that want to have a greater control over the customer's experience will avoid Apple since ultimately Apple looks out for Apple and the iTunes store. So far, B&N and Amazon are both fielding their own Android tablets to compete.
                          Well, I was talking about the availability of Netflix and the out-of-market sports broadcast apps, none of which are the exclusive domain of any wireless platform.

If you want to compare Amazon Prime to other services like iTunes or Netflix,... that is another discussion entirely.
                          Last edited by Frankie's Market; September 17, 2011, 04:19 AM.

Comment

Yes, there are more Android smartphone owners out there, because as I said right from the start, AT&T had an exclusive deal with the iPhone for three-and-a-half years. With the Android available on more carriers, is it any wonder that more people bought into their system compared to Apple's? To think of this as being some kind of great achievement on Android's part is absolutely laughable.
                            That certainly gave Android a great start. But with the iPhone being available on other carriers, we'll soon see what happens. By then we'll have a better sense of where tablets are going.

Again, I've never seen things collapse to a single computer platform. The example you gave were for media distribution. Not quite the same thing.

There's also anti-Apple people out there. With Apple acting like the great evil empire that Job has accused Microsoft of being, their ranks may be growing.

Comment

Working...
                            X