The Troy Davis Execution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Troy Davis Execution

Georgia executed Troy Davis tonight. It lights up all the anti death penalty circuits for me. And yet also tonight Texas executed one of the miserable excuses for a human being who dragged the Black guy behind their truck and I am fine with that execution. In fact if everybody with that kind of hateful racism just dropped dead it would be a much better world. So I am subject to the very emotional reaction, I call it blood lust, that I object to in others. A human failing, hypocrisy.

My arguments against the death penalty summed up: its too much power to trust the gvt. with, mistakes happen, gvts. always get carried away with power, once you start executing people how can you ever stop, it appeals to the basest human emotions, and by example it endorses killing people to settle a score 'justly'.

Re: The Troy Davis Execution

I will never support killing, regardless of who, why, how, or what. Imo, there is absolutely no reasoning that will ever make killing ok, no matter what!
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

I know you are right. And yet emotionally I do react positively to the removal of that murderous Texas bigot from the human family. And what about the killing of Osama bin Laden? Justice, or revenge? It sure made a lot of people happy, and that happiness with killing people is a problem.

Comment

Call me sentimental, but if the majority of humanity subscribed to this lunacy, we would have resorted to cannibalism by now. War and and genocide have been one of only four effective forms of population control since the dawn of man. The other three being disease, natural disasters, and China’s “one child” policy.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

I knew a prof who said basically that, that biology influenced the race to kill off surplus males with wars and among some tribes lots of human sacrifice to make gods happy--good old religion taken as seriously by the Aztecs as modern religions are today. He said religious views, economics, political ideology were all just window dressing to this biological drive to eliminate surplus males. An interesting theory. Economics comes pretty close to fitting his theory. Yet the death penalty eliminates hardly any one, and their sperm can be taken off the market by keeping the owner in prison until very old age. War is almost always started by old men and always kills the younger ones, like a tom cat killing another tom's kittens. These primal drives are very weird, weird manifestations. Giving over as much control in human life as we can to rationality seems a much safer course than doing anything to encourage those primal killing drives.

Comment

The USA is still number two in state sanctioned executions, heck I guess we are trying to catch up with the Chin dynasty.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
              My arguments against the death penalty summed up: its too much power to trust the gvt. with, mistakes happen, gvts. always get carried away with power, once you start executing people how can you ever stop, it appeals to the basest human emotions, and by example it endorses killing people to settle a score 'justly'.
              I’ll buy your argument about the government. Mistrust of the government is one of the hallmarks of us libertarians, Kalalau. In fact, the 2008 libertarian nominee for President summed up the Troy Davis case quite succinctly in a story featured on CNN:

Ruling to execute Troy Davis violates core principles

September 20, 2011 | By Bob Barr, Special to CNN

Davis was convicted in 1991 of the 1989 murder of Savannah police officer Mark MacPhail. But the trial included no physical evidence to support his conviction. The prosecution produced no murder weapon, no DNA evidence and no surveillance tapes.

He was sentenced to death on the basis of nine so-called eyewitnesses, who testified in the trial. Seven of those witnesses, however, have since recanted or materially changed their stories. The jury, for instance, relied on two people who did not witness the crime but who testified that Davis had confessed to the shooting. Since then, both have said they were lying.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

This was all about preserving a fatally flawed system, but the arrogance of Georgia state officials, like most, say's they are never wrong and will not reexamine, no matter what. If The Pope, a former US President, former hangin' judges having asked for a stay of exescution and almost all the eye witnesses recanting can't even slow down the runaway death train on a case so wrought with major flaws, then this country's turkey ass is overcooked and headed for the dump. Especially so when you see crowds cheering wildly for the deaths of others at con debates. Again, lucky we live Hawaii!
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I think you're viewing the whole issue from the wrong angle. It's simply a question of acceptable loss. There's no possibility of 'perfect justice'. If your concern is about preventing wrongful deaths, the justice system is one of the last places to waste your resources, based on any scale of result vs. effort. We could spend a trillion dollars on the issue and make no significant progress. As well, is incarceration more or less humane than the death penalty? I wonder if more persons die in prisons doing time than die from executions. Regardless, isn't that effectively a death penalty too?

How many innocent lives have we, as a nation, taken in pursuit of wars or profits or even blithe negligence, both directly and indirectly? I believe the numbers would make wrongful executions vanish into the infinitesimal in comparison.

It's easy to say that Georgia has a fatally flawed system, but how much better/worse is ours? Not so lucky we live Hawaii, mebbe.

It seems to me you want to save a tree here or there, whilst blind to the forests being felled.
                  Last edited by salmoned; September 23, 2011, 10:15 AM.
                  May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

You folks might find this interesting, especially the pictures.

http://colorlines.com/archives/2011/...roy_davis.html

Comment

We are all Troy Davis.

Comment

I'll agree with you there, as long as you agree we're all dodos.

Comment

And should have joined them long ago.

Comment

Soon enough, my friend, soon enough.

Comment

The foolish old judges did not show any empathy. I assume they just wanted to go home and watch TV while a live human being was strapped to a table and killed by the "state" .Sodium Thiopental is no longer sold to US prisons because even the producers are nauseated by a cult of death masquerading as justice.

Comment

Working...
                              X