X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can they survive SNL?

The Politics of America is too complex to describe it as a one dimensional
    vector that goes from right to left.
    Any decent sailor knows there are two dimensions.
    Airplane pilots learn to navigate in three dimensions.

Comment

...and the sage successfully navigate all dimensions.
      May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Political satire has been around in one form or another for quite a long time. As a youth I enjoyed "That Was The Week That Was", it was based on a British show by the same name.

The film about Sarah Palin is getting some nasty comments but it seems to be essentially accurate: the woman was utterly unqualified to take over for an incapacitated or dead President. SNL's panning of her was rather mild compared to the reality of her lack of qualification. None of that makes her a bad person in itself, but it does make her unqualified and it does make McCain a fool for selecting her.

My fave SNL bit was the Coneheads, the movie destroys me every time I see it.

Animal House starring John Belushi used my old alma mater, U of Oregon for background. Every time I see it I see another familiar setting. The campus looks like Central Casting ordered it. A story has it that the producers of The Graduate asked to use the campus for background but the administration turned them down. Then, when that film became a great hit the University regretted its mistake so approved the request from the producers of Animal House without looking over the script, and hugely regretted permitting it when the film came out. However as Animal House became a beloved comedy classic the University's move has been accepted as brilliant. The food fight scene occurred in the real student union, some real sorority and fraternity houses were used as background, the administration building and library were prominent. I think Prof. Donald Sutherland's pad might have been a friend's, it sure looked like it, just down the alley from Maxie's. Aah those old college days...

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
          ...and the sage successfully navigate all dimensions.
          Amen, s'ed. And the fools ought stay out of the seas altogether, no?

Comment

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1056257

Can they survive leaving SNL?

Comment

At Reed College we were to absorbed with other activities to have foodfights.
              Those munchies were saved for a later more productive and certainly more flavorful experiences.
              I have only the vaguest memories of Steve Jobs.

Comment

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=757036&

A different cast member will play Obama this season if he gets re-elected.

Comment

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=772980

Does she have a point or is it too PC?

Comment

No point at all. Other languages, including Japanese, French, German, African languages, even Australian and British English are parodied all the time - and it's no more or less hilarious than the ASL parody, ceteris paribus. She'd be doing better service in objecting to Dan Aykroyd's slurs of Jane Curtain during Point/Counterpoint debates - fond memories of SNL classics.
                    Last edited by salmoned; November 5, 2012, 10:02 AM.
                    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                      Dan Aykroyd's slurs of Jane Curtain during Point/Counterpoint debates - fond memories of SNL classics.
                      At the time, I thought it was hilarious, but now I find it sort of .... offensive. Gosh, I must be getting less and less tolerant as the years go by.
                      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                        http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=772980

Does she have a point or is it too PC?
                        Yes, and yes, IMO. I didn't see the skit, but I did notice that Mayor Bloomberg's signer does some very dramatic signing -- I think she intends it to be amusing. However, I think that making fun of languages is not in style, these days. It's not politically correct. It used to be okay. Thinking back, I can recall Sid Caesar doing pseudo-German nonsense, and various comedians doing Yiddish accents, Spanish, Indian English (Peter Sellars in The Party).

Here's Sid Caesar doing comic French, German(?), and Japanese: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBLM16fQ1es.
                        Last edited by GregLee; November 5, 2012, 02:52 PM.
                        Greg

Comment

A skit with the creator of Family Guy about the hearing impaired was more offensive. But, Marlee Matlin appeared at the end of that skit. So, she might have selfish reasons.

Comment

The SCTV cast were a bit more discerning .

The show was taped in Edmonton, Alberta , and had its own flavor.

The Edmonton climate is just short of Arctic.

Yet the shopping mall there has a huge tropical grotto in the midst

of the sub arctic.

The extraction of the tar sands is major energy source at the moment.

Lux Fiat

Comment

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?ne...&ocid=ansent11

Bill Hader and Seth Meyers are leaving SNL after this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                                Bill Hader and Seth Meyers are leaving SNL after this season.
                                http://tv.yahoo.com/news/coming-cast...163314260.html

No Stefon next season.

Comment

Working...
                                X