Dish Network in Kaneohe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dish Network in Kaneohe?

Does anyone of you live in Kaneohe and have the Dish Network? How is the quality? Does all the rain affect the broadcasting quality?

Mahalo!

Re: Dish Network in Kaneohe?

I'm curious - why choose Dish Network rather than Direct TV? or even Oceanic? I've been on both satellite networks and service/programming/costs are much better with Direct TV. and yes, your signal (through either network) will tend to get scrambled during rain or very heavy overcast. Living in Kaneohe, you might be better off with Oceanic.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
      I'm curious - why choose Dish Network rather than Direct TV? or even Oceanic? I've been on both satellite networks and service/programming/costs are much better with Direct TV. and yes, your signal (through either network) will tend to get scrambled during rain or very heavy overcast. Living in Kaneohe, you might be better off with Oceanic.
      Reasoning:

Dish over DirecTV because of Japanese channels
      Dish over OTW because of price

We currently have OTW but think they are ripping us off. Looking forward to see HT join the TV industry.

Comment

I get NGN with DirecTV and no washout during heavy rainstorms here on the Big Island.

DirecTV is really good. Picture quality is way better both in SD and HD than Dish and Oceanic.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          I get NGN with DirecTV and no washout during heavy rainstorms here on the Big Island.
          Really? That's so weird. I asked DirecTV and they said they don't offer Japanese channels. Is it part of the local package? What channel?

Thanks!

Comment

wow Craig - you're lucky! when it rains here, I just plan on watching Netflix! and I do agree - Direct TV is so much better than Dish
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

DirecTV is really good. Picture quality is way better both in SD and HD than Dish and Oceanic.
              And for sports fans, DirecTV offers the NFL Sunday Ticket package.

If it wasn't for the fact that my house is located right next to a mountain, I would seriously give some thought to cutting the cord with Oceanic.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Does anyone know where to aim the DirecTV satellite receiver?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                  And for sports fans, DirecTV offers the NFL Sunday Ticket package.

If it wasn't for the fact that my house is located right next to a mountain, I would seriously give some thought to cutting the cord with Oceanic.
                  And DirecTV offers a Sportsmix and Newsmix channel where they show six or eight channels on one screen (gotta have a big tv to see the potential). You can select whatever channel you want then go to it. It's great when you're tracking several games or late breaking news at once instead of flipping through the channels. On a 42-inch flat panel TV each channel is about the size of a 13-inch tv set.

Plus there's their HD Theater channel! WOW!! Amazing programming with live feeds of morning sunrises from around the world in high definition!! No music, no narration, just an open mic to the environment the camera is set to. It's like waking up and looking out of a window with HD clarity. So real you just want to climb into the TV set and into that world. What a great way to start your morning peering at the Andes seeing villagers getting ready for another day or a fisherman getting his nets ready on his boat in Sicily. Amazing! Or wild geese flying over a serene lake sillouetted by the morning sun rising up in the distance behind a mountain range in some far off country.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by amagab View Post
                    Direct TV will send someone to install the dish for you when you sign up - if your deal includes free installation. But they have specials all the time that DO offer that. The installer will "aim" the dish at that time. and if the dish gets out of line due to wind or something, just call Direct TV and they will send someone to re-align it. We've had that happen before but the dish is now tightly fastened down to the roof and doesn't move.
                    Last edited by anapuni808; October 8, 2011, 11:26 AM.
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I assume the reason you're asking is that you're trying to determine if you've got a clear view to the satellite. All geostationary satellites are over the equator. Since the main market for most of the providers of interest is the continental US, they'll be in that direction. So, I'd guess roughly East South East not too far above the horizon. If anyone has a dish in your neighborhood, it will give you a good idea - even if it's for a different provider. For us, all the providers will be in about the same place.

Comment

How big a dish? How long is the coax from the dish to the box?

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                          So, I'd guess roughly East South East not too far above the horizon.
                          Yes. Here's a site that will give you a Google map with a pointer from your house to the satellites:
                          http://www.dishpointer.com/

I've had DirecTV in Waimanalo since 2007, and rain blocking the satellite signal has not been much of a problem -- I lose signal for an hour or two maybe twice a year during a really big rain storm.

When I was thinking of switching from Oceanic TW to DirecTV I was of course curious whether I would have line-of-sight to the DirecTV satellite, and I thought of getting a site survey for $75 (in 2007) to find that out. But I learned that if I simply ordered DirecTV that an installer would come to my house and, as a first step, figure out whether I could "see" the satellites -- if not, he would just not proceed with the installation and there would be no charge. So there was no point in paying the fee for a site survey.

It surprises me, too, to learn that DirecTV carries NGN. I thought they didn't.
                          Greg

Comment

Amagab - I think what everyone is trying to tell you is that getting satellite TV is not a DIY project. They send professional installers to your home as part of the installation process. You just stand around & watch.
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

They all need a clear view to the East for the satellite

Comment

Working...
                              X