X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OCCUPY Honolulu

Correct Ron!
    And concerning laws in Honolulu...
    It's a $500 fine for sleeping in a vehicle on city streets, a self-contained unit while tents are all over the place. Nothing against having to live in a tent. If you get a camping permit for any place here you have to camp in a tent, can't sleep in your vehicle. Kinda weird eh?!
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Has the vacationing president been watching these events?
      The agenda of the occupy movement is why most of the market capital is
      not being used but hoarded.

Comment

Originally posted by lensperson View Post
        Has the vacationing president been watching these events? The agenda of the occupy movement is why most of the market capital is not being used but hoarded.
        He's using the Occupy moment to promote himself and the agenda, but with all the troublemakers that infiltrate the movement it's difficult for anyone to jump all in without having to explain the obvious to naysayers or the ignorant. As usual tho, I wish he'd be more forceful in his support for the ideas behind the positives.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
          Not even in the same universe.
          You're right. Cayetano is more experienced, whereas Obama was just a JUNIOR senator before he took the Oval Office.

Still, he campaigned to take over the office of the US Presidency and inherit whatever burden the previous administrations left behind. IOW, the People voted him to fix the problems.

I and the people of Molokai want him to call off a "bulldog" named Abercrombie to stop pushing for wind plants on Molokai and Lanai to power up Honolulu.
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
            Still, he campaigned to take over the office of the US Presidency and inherit whatever burden the previous administrations left behind. IOW, the People voted him to fix the problems.

I and the people of Molokai want him to call off a "bulldog" named Abercrombie to stop pushing for wind plants on Molokai and Lanai to power up Honolulu.
            Straight up, we'd be swimming in champagne right now if the stinking partisan opposition had been willing to work with Obama as he tried endlessly for 3 wasted years to bring the parties together. As it is, they tried all they could to kill our economy and stall every bit of legislation he put up, (like many jobs plans bills that didn't put the load solely one the reg. Joe and hand the mega-rich a windfall), yet the economy and jobs charts have been steadily improving for many straight months. The economic hole Obama was dumped into by Bush was bottomless, and even with non-stop war against him (and us) he's done a remarkable job in dramatically staunching the massive blood loss and putting America on the path to recovery. Actually an amazing feat.

Interesting, what is the problem with generator farms being installed there?

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
              Interesting, what is the problem with generator farms being installed there?
              Because WE (on Molokai and Lanai) won't benefit from it, only YOU guys (on Oahu).

If YOU guys (on Oahu) want a wind farm to compensate your overuse of electricity, BUILD THEM ON YOUR ISLAND. PERIOD.

Only ONE of them "windmills" can generate the entire island of Molokai many times over, but we DO NOT have the infrastructure to connect it to our power grid. So, what? We going have one wind farm built here on Molokai to power up Oahu while we wait for ours? FORGET IT!

And if you think an elevated rail transit system is bad when it comes to blending it with the rest of the "look" of Oahu's island beauty, think of a wind farm dotting our own natural landscape. BUTT-UGLY.
              Last edited by Random; February 19, 2012, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Because WE (on Molokai and Lanai) won't benefit from it, only YOU guys (on Oahu).
                Perhaps we should pass a law requiring each island to be self-sufficient in the welfare department. If that was done, what do you propose to do to "earn your keep"?

Comment

That's another way the population of Hawai'i separates itself from their neighbors.
                  Every state has counties, but they are physically connected. And understand that they're "in the same boat" so to speak.
                  While we have ocean channels between our islands and look at 'our' island as a separate entity.
                  But it was Kamehameha 1 that brought them all under one rule... not America.

Anyways, back to 'Occupy Honolulu'.
                  I ride by almost every day and have from the start. Just don't see anything being accomplished by sitting on the corner of Beretania and Ward.
                  Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                    Perhaps we should pass a law requiring each island to be self-sufficient in the welfare department. If that was done, what do you propose to do to "earn your keep"?
                    Secede from Maui County, make our own.

Limit human population intake (except through birth on our island soil) to keep our forest and sea, where we would hunt for food.

Restore the ancient fishponds.

Support small business entrepreneurship without a lot of regulations. That's the only way to increase job employment, not through outsourced corporations like Monsanto.

Have my children learn to hunt and fish, as well as skills and ethics to work for money.

FYI, like my father (May he rest in peace), I do not believe in welfare, though I am willing to pay for it in tax for the less fortunate, should I also find myself in that situation in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                      Anyways, back to 'Occupy Honolulu'.
                      I ride by almost every day and have from the start. Just don't see anything being accomplished by sitting on the corner of Beretania and Ward.
                      Anybody got pictures of the folks at that movement?

I'm guessing they're not local locals.

Comment

(Admins, you may want to make this a separate thread)

Secede from Maui County, make our own.
                        Not sure that would help.

Limit human population intake (except through birth on our island soil)
                        Good luck on that. Hawaii has been attempting subtle attempts on that (such as favoring residents for city jobs) and all have been struck down by the courts. It's a small matter of the U.S. Constitution.

Even if you were successful, I suspect you'll find your birth rate will out strip your ability to accommodate them and remain economically self-sufficient.

Support small business entrepreneurship without a lot of regulations. That's the only way to increase job employment, not through outsourced corporations like Monsanto.
                        Again, not sure how having your own county will help on that front as I suspect most regulation is state and federal level.

FYI, like my father (May he rest in peace), I do not believe in welfare, though I am willing to pay for it in tax for the less fortunate, should I also find myself in that situation in the future.
                        I find that admirable.

I've heard it said that Molokai is THE highest when it comes to welfare. If true, I'm sure that factoid will eventually come to national attention. The outcome is not likely to be favorable to the residents. Thus, I'd suggest it wise to work on ways to solve that situation your way before TPTB try to fix it their way.

Comment

I'm guessing they're not local locals.
                          That's what I'm hearing. I know there was one article in the SB that indicated one person came over from the mainland to lead the Honolulu Occupy.

It really makes me wonder who/what's behind this.

Comment

You're not gonna turn the clock back, get used to sharing the islands and enjoy the power Oahu has sent off-island for decades, or enjoy your torchlight.
                            And who gives a fuck who else is on the street level trying/hoping to make things better even if they aren't some prefered race or make a dent?

Comment

whoa - I think thats the first time I've ever seen language like that in all my years here on HT!
                              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                                whoa - I think thats the first time I've ever seen language like that in all my years here on HT!
                                What, torchlight?

Comment

Working...
                                X