Does Oahu have counties?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Oahu have counties?

Like the states in the mainland, I am curious to know if Oahu is split into counties. With the near infinity of suburbs and towns and then Honolulu, I figured there might be a point in time when they needed to section things off where offices like the handling of food stamps and TANF were concerned.
    If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Re: Does Oahu have counties?

Originally posted by memorylane View Post
    Like the states in the mainland, I am curious to know if Oahu is split into counties. With the near infinity of suburbs and towns and then Honolulu, I figured there might be a point in time when they needed to section things off where offices like the handling of food stamps and TANF were concerned.
    Oahu itself is one county, City and County of Honolulu.

Comment

Doesn't Honolulu County include Lanai and Molokai?
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

If I recall the political geography correctly, there are five counties in the State of Hawai`i:

City & County of Honolulu (O`ahu, NW Hawaiian Islands)
        Hawai`i County (Hawai`i Island)
        Maui County (Maui, Kaho`olawe, Lana`i, most of Moloka`i, Molokini)
        Kaua`i County (Kaua`i, Ni`ihau, Lehua, Ka`ula)
        Kalawao County (Kalaupapa peninsula of Moloka`i) - though some consider this part of Maui County

Comment

Molokai is all Maui County.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Thanks, anapuni808; I thought I recalled the peninsula eventually coming under the jurisdiction of Maui County at some point, but wasn't sure.

Comment

I believe that Kalawao is still a separate county. It's a very unique county. That may change when the last patent dies.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                I believe that Kalawao is still a separate county. It's a very unique county. That may change when the last patent dies.
                Gecko is right. Kalawao is seperate from the rest of Molokai, which falls under the jurisdiction of Maui County.

Because Kalawao County includes Kalaupapa settlement, the state health department has held legal jurisdiction there. In effect, this makes the state health director the mayor of Kalawao.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

All fascinating stuff to know, thanks GG + FM.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Kalaupapa after the last patient is gone. I had a brief chat about that with Dennis Kamakahi when he was here a few weeks ago, as he is part of a group working towards structuring that future. They are working on finding a respectful way to memorialize and commemorate the settlement, its people and history, while avoiding either a collection of boring signage, or a contemporary "theme park" vibe.

But I digress, and hope we've added to the edumacation of memorylane.

Comment

I also thank GG & FM - I'm not too old to learn something new and I am not too proud to admit when I'm wrong. It's always interesting to learn that for as long as I've lived here and as involved in politics as I am - there is still much to know.
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

As I understand it, both the Park Service and the State Dept of Health run it now. Eventually I think it will be under just the Park Service.

I'd like to visit, but I'd have to find a way to be "useful" to get over there.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                        As I understand it, both the Park Service and the State Dept of Health run it now. Eventually I think it will be under just the Park Service.
                        As Uncle Dennis explained it to me, the National Park Service has a lease until July 14, 2040 (signed in 1992) from the State Department of Hawaiian Home Lands, and that the property will likely be transferred to the department of Hawai`i State Parks at that time.

Here is that lease.

OK with folks if we keep drifting away on this topic? I, for one, am enjoying the education.

Comment

Originally posted by memorylane View Post
                          offices like the handling of food stamps and TANF were concerned.
                          No idea what TANF is but there are satellite city halls on the island.

Comment

Not all of Oahu is part of the "City and County of Honolulu."

There are rural areas that fall outside of the "City and County Limits," such as where I live.

On my road, street lights stop just before my house. I looked it up on an online official C&C map and saw a line just where the last streetlight was and it said "Honolulu C&C Limits."

It may be just the City limits, because we do get services such as road repair, trash pickup, etc., but no illumination and no sidewalks.
                            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                            ~ ~
                            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              All fascinating stuff to know, thanks GG + FM.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Kalaupapa after the last patient is gone. I had a brief chat about that with Dennis Kamakahi when he was here a few weeks ago, as he is part of a group working towards structuring that future. They are working on finding a respectful way to memorialize and commemorate the settlement, its people and history, while avoiding either a collection of boring signage, or a contemporary "theme park" vibe.

But I digress, and hope we've added to the edumacation of memorylane.
                              Mahalo!! LOL! I wondered this because of how here in the mainland, the states are split into counties and each county seems to make up their own rules especially where DHS is concerned.
                              If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Working...
                              X