Off Limits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Limits

Anyone catch the show "Off Limits" last night on the Travel Channel? Don Wildman was in Hawaii and had segments on both Oahu and Kauai. The Kauai segments were mostly about old sugar mills/fields but the Oahu segments were about the H-3 and off-limit places on Ford Island. He got to go up into and down below the building of the Tetsuo Harano Tunnel, which was pretty cool, and into the clinic used on Dec 7 to treat the wounded, the showed where the bomb went off in the courtyard, right outside the clinic. Did anyone else see the show?

Can't think of anything creative this time

Re: Off Limits

Recorded it, but haven't yet watched.

Comment

Yes, it was interesting. Last week I flew over Puunene Sugar Mill on Maui, the last remaining working sugar mill in Hawaii, with white smoke puffing. The program on TV was interesting to see the "inner workings" of a sugar mill.

Also, the view of the underground water table beneath the city [somewhere in Honolulu] was really interesting, with the pilings of large buildings being driven into the open caverns and pools of water. I tried to catch what area was being filmed, but was not able to pinpoint it. I wonder which buildings are sitting atop those underground cave/lakes?
      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I was also wondering- they made a big deal about the Tetsuo Harano Tunnel, but hardly mentioned the smaller tunnel. What is the name of that smaller tunnel? The only thing I can come up with is "Hospital Rock Tunnel", but I really would like to know what it's proper name is. Is it part of the Halawa Tunnels- does that name encompass both sets of tunnels on the H-3, or are the Halawa Tunnels on a different highway all together? It's been almost 3 years since I've lived there and since I get lost in my own hometown...well...you can imagine how well I'm doing with my memories of Oahu.

Thanks!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

The cave [MOILIILI KARST] is in Moiliili, including under the area of South King Street and University Avenue. Water from the cave was the source for the original pond at the Willows restaurant.
          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
          X