The Muppets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Muppets

The Muppets opens on November 23, 2011. So far this movie has 8 trailers on the Apple Movie Trailer site, some of the trailers are parodies of other movies, they even had one for a fake movie.

This week two trailers were released, the latest one is a parody, while the other says the movie is rated PG due to some mild rude humor.

Re: The Muppets

Originally posted by helen View Post
    ...while the other says the movie is rated PG due to some mild rude humor.
    This is a good sign. It looks like the film is lining up behind the great Muppet movies of the past. Have you tried Hare Krishna?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The ads are being aired on TV now. I think the best scene in the ad is where the Swedish Chef is chasing a turkey with a cleaver, then later on the turkey is wielding the cleaver chasing the Swedish chef.

Comment

Saw The Muppets last night at the Ward Theater. This movie is mostly a musical with actual humans doing most of the singing and dancing in it.

The movie has three parts to it, the first part tells the story of two brothers named Walter and Gary who loved watching The Muppet Show while growing up, plus Gary's girl friend Mary. They take a trip to Los Angeles, along the way Walter stumble across a plot that someone wants tear down the Muppet Theater to drill for oil.

The second part of the movie is them trying to find Kermit the Frog and to convince him to gather up the rest of the Muppet gang so that they can do a telethon to raise money to save the Muppet Theater.

The third part of the movie is the actual telethon, much like how an actual The Muppet Show episode would run with acts going on stage and some backstage antics in between.

Even though this movie is a musical, so much as even the bad guy in the movie get his own musical number complete with dancing girls and a sing-a-long caption, they are still parody and comedy parts, some adventure, some action and a touch of romance to round out the movie going experience.
        Last edited by helen; November 24, 2011, 10:31 AM.

Comment

The Muppets (2011)
          Jason Segel, Amy Adams, Chris Cooper, Rashida Jones, Jack Black, Ken Jeong, Alan Arkin, Jim Parsons, Sarah Silverman, and the Muppets. Written by Jason Segel and Nicholas Stoller. Directed by James Bobin.

In November 2011, as I waited in a cool, dark theater in my favorite seat for The Muppets, I sent text messages to several friends: “I can’t remember when I was this excited to see a movie.” It was true, and it remains true. After the death of Jim Henson and retirement of Frank Oz, I didn’t think I would ever see another feature-length film with Kermit and his friends, and I was an enormous fan of both the syndicated Muppets television program and its related movies. As a younger admirer, I owned the original The Muppet Movie soundtrack and the Muppet Show Cast Album, and I even had the Muppet Show board game, one of the few games my sister would play without my having to bribe her.

It was too much build-up for this new picture to live up to. Jason Segel, who seems to have made a labor of love of this film, had all the right ingredients and best intentions, yet somehow I left the theater kind of deflated. New Muppet voices took more getting used to than I expected, and I never got over the feeling that I’d just seen an excellent tribute band of a movie. I knew I would have to see it again before I could give it a fair evaluation.

When its sequel, Muppets Most Wanted hit the big screen in 2015, I wasn’t in a hurry to get there, waiting instead for the DVD a few months ago. I loved that one so hard that I knew it was time to revisit its predecessor.

And it’s still a disappointment! Because the Muppets are nobody’s supporting cast. The concept of Jason Segal and his Muppet-looking brother traveling west with Amy Adams is excellent and intriguing, and it works pretty well. With silly sight gags, witty dialogue, two crush-inspiring cameos by Feist, cute songs, and a “let’s put on a show to save the theater!” plot, the return of the Muppets has everything it needs, except one: not enough of the Muppets. It’s like the studios didn’t trust Kermit and Company to carry the film; it needed a huge star like Segel to hold it together, and it’s just not true. The result is a pretty good Segel-Adams movie, but only a fair Muppets movie with far too much Kermit-Miss-Piggy stuff for my taste.

But hey. A pretty good Jason-Segel-Amy-Adams movie? I’ll take that almost any day.

7/10 (IMDb rating)
          74/100 (Criticker rating)
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
          X