Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Loving Hawaii is not THAT cheap!

Brothers and Sisters,

I am not here to fight. But I do have a goal. In the end, I am hoping my actions will speak louder than my words.

Comment

again, with all respect to you - your actions so far have only indicated your anger. who are you? and if you're Hawaiian, you know what I mean by that.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Pī ka ihu, ha`u i ka makani. Hō a`e ka `ike he`enalu i ka hokua o ka `ale.

Comment

Originally posted by brah View Post
          But I do say the above words with a lot of outrage. Outrage at the pissing away at the sacredness that we the ancient people feel.

The sacredness of our emotions has been pissed away by theorizing it away. We have been anthropomorphised away. We are painted as barbaric and sub-human. We have been laughed away by "serious thinkers and theologians." This is all bull-shit.

Why do we all need to be forced to give up our love and the depth of the emotion of what we feel to what we hold sacred?
          Of course it's BS. Perhaps it was true in the 1800's, but not any more.

No one is forcing you to give up anything.

Do you hear the kōlea?
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

But that's exactly what I am saying. I'm not proposing that we hate on anyone. I'm saying: First let us begin by loving our own land, culture and having pride in our own people. What is wrong with what I'm saying?
            There is nothing wrong with what you just said here. You're absolutely right on the point that kama'ainas have to display proper love, respect, and care for their home first,.... if they expect visitors to likewise do the same. But that is not how you started off this thread, right? Your first post started off making abrasive and condescending statements about tourists.

Another thing about your first post: it sounds like you're lecturing to everyone in this forum. Well, you're free to do just that. But I don't imagine that a whole lot of regulars in the HT community will appreciate such content.

If you take the time to look through the older threads on this board, you will find a wealth of information and knowledge about local history, culture, and events that can be found nowhere else. Nope, not in Wikipedia or anywhere else online. And certainly not in the historical books and archives in the state library. Here in HT, you will find memories and discussions about people, businesses, and institutions that are long gone and forgotten by most folks. You will also come across threads where people share and exchange information about topics that are arcane and obscure to the population at large, but the discussions contained therein reveal insights and understandings about what makes these islands unique and special from the rest of the world.

And when you finally get a better grasp about the kind of people who make up the HT community, I wonder if you will still presume to make statements to this audience about loving and appreciating Hawaii in the manner that you have chosen.

Don't get me wrong, Brah. The feelings and passions that you have, shaped by your unique life experiences and perspectives, are something that you should cherish and hold onto. And yes, if you want to share your opinions and viewpoints with others, then this is a great platform for you to do so. But realize that other people here, whether they be Hawaiian by blood or Hawaiian at heart,... they also have a passion and deep feelings about these islands.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

And it's true that... Loving Hawai'i ain't cheap.
              I don't mean just monetarily though it is costly too. Living expenses, taxes, etc.

I mean caring. I have organised 8 volunteer clean-up days around Oahu over the past 6 years while attending other's events also. Then there's working for the Bishop Museum more for love than the (small)paychecks I receive. Educating people along the way as to why they shouldn't do a particular thing or praising them for doing something right.

Live Aloha!
              If you see someone that you can help, just do it. Not for anything in return.
              Karma will work it out.

Malama da aina and all who live or visit here... even if they don't desrve it.
              Just might make for a 'better' Hawai'i and 'better' people too!
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Philosophy aside, there's a reason why all these historic traditions and customs and spirits and (continue the list) exists, and taking a little bit of pride in humility, Hawaii(ans) should be thanking the mainland for their continued existence.

Lest we forget the strategic location of this place, because you know by 1942, the inhabitants would have been slaughtered and this would have been a portion of the Japanese Empire... and none of these arguments would be a figment of imagination today.

Unfortunately, 70 years of passed time places ignorance on everyone, to include locals and mainlanders. Leaves little to say about who's entitled and who deserves what around here.

Comment

Each individual tree needs to be appreciated and fed on it's own account for us all to enjoy a jungle. I am responsible for my tree. And you are responsible for yours.

What is the difficulty in understanding that?
                  What is the difficulty in understanding that? Foremost, I don't agree with your premise. For starters, I believe we are all responsible for each other, regardless of vanity and false pride.

Brah, it sounds to me like you are having difficulty coming to terms with yourself moreso than the members of HT. Heal thyself before trying to heal others. Pride in self is the key to understanding pride in institutions. Tell us about yourself and what makes you proud to be a percentage "indigenous" Hawaiian. Let's start at the beginning.

And for the record, we all come from the same tree. Hawaiians are merely a branch of that tree just like other cultures; no more, no less important or significant than other branches.
                  Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

There are soooo many things that anyone could do as part of their 'Love' for Hawai'i and perpetuating the culture of the Hawaiians.

Teach or learn the language, or real crafts, or about medicinal/food plants, or different styles of sustainable fishing, or...

Obviously the list goes on. The point being, do something.
                    Don't just complain about the loss of things.
                    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Lest you forget, my friend, Hawaii was slaughtered by Japan (Pearl Harbor) BECAUSE of our potential to be used as a military base to attack the Pacific by the United States.

Originally posted by bjd392 View Post
                      Philosophy aside, there's a reason why all these historic traditions and customs and spirits and (continue the list) exists, and taking a little bit of pride in humility, Hawaii(ans) should be thanking the mainland for their continued existence.

Lest we forget the strategic location of this place, because you know by 1942, the inhabitants would have been slaughtered and this would have been a portion of the Japanese Empire... and none of these arguments would be a figment of imagination today.

Unfortunately, 70 years of passed time places ignorance on everyone, to include locals and mainlanders. Leaves little to say about who's entitled and who deserves what around here.

Comment

Frankie's Market,

Your wise and wonderful words touched my heart. Thank you.

I would like to hear more from you, my friend. You have made me curious. Would you share the sacred threads in this forum that you are talking about....that have touched your heart, please?

Brah

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                        If you take the time to look through the older threads on this board, you will find a wealth of information and knowledge about local history, culture, and events that can be found nowhere else. Nope, not in Wikipedia or anywhere else online. And certainly not in the historical books and archives in the state library. Here in HT, you will find memories and discussions about people, businesses, and institutions that are long gone and forgotten by most folks. You will also come across threads where people share and exchange information about topics that are arcane and obscure to the population at large, but the discussions contained therein reveal insights and understandings about what makes these islands unique and special from the rest of the world.

And when you finally get a better grasp about the kind of people who make up the HT community, I wonder if you will still presume to make statements to this audience about loving and appreciating Hawaii in the manner that you have chosen.

Don't get me wrong, Brah. The feelings and passions that you have, shaped by your unique life experiences and perspectives, are something that you should cherish and hold onto. And yes, if you want to share your opinions and viewpoints with others, then this is a great platform for you to do so. But realize that other people here, whether they be Hawaiian by blood or Hawaiian at heart,... they also have a passion and deep feelings about these islands.

Comment

Lest you forget, my friend, Hawaii was slaughtered by Japan (Pearl Harbor) BECAUSE of our potential to be used as a military base to attack the Pacific by the United States.

Lest your misinterpretation of history go unchallenged, understand that "potential" had nothing to do with it. Hawai`i already had U.S. military bases at the time of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

The Japanese attack was based on the belief (as put forward by Admiral Yamamoto Isoroku) that such an attack would cause enough damage to the U.S. Pacific Fleet, as well as a demoralization of the American public, that the U.S. would "lose their fighting spirit" (quote from Yamamoto) and abandon any plans to interfere with Japanese moves to invade the Dutch East Indies and Malaya to obtain natural resources sorely needed in Japan. Remember, earlier in 1941, the U.S. had already frozen Japanese assets in retaliation for Japan's triple alliance with Germany & Italy, and had demanded the withdrawal of overseas occupations by Japanese forces.

Comment

Re: Facts

Oh there goes Leo Lakio, letting those nuisance facts influence an argument.
                            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Frankie's Market,

Your wise and wonderful words touched my heart. Thank you.

I would like to hear more from you, my friend. You have made me curious. Would you share the sacred threads in this forum that you are talking about....that have touched your heart, please?

Brah
                              Personally, I found threads reminscing about "small kid time" fascinating, like the one about Checkers & Pogo. Or local business establishments that are now long gone and have been forgotten, for the most part.

If you're into music, then this discussion about the old Diamond Head Craterfests will captivate you for awhile.

As I said, some of these memories are stuff that you can't find in the newspaper archives or in an online search.

Of course, I don't know what interests you, Brah. But chances are, if you use the "search" tab on the top of this page and type in keywords about things and subjects that fascinate you, you'll come across old threads and postings containing info that may be new and useful to you.

Take care. And welcome to the Hawaii Threads community. Hope you find your time in this forum an enjoyable and rewarding one.
                              Last edited by Frankie's Market; November 17, 2011, 04:03 PM. Reason: 1
                              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Re: Loving Hawaii is all that matters!

Brothers and Sisters,

I am not here to fight. But I do have a goal. In the end, I am hoping my actions will speak louder than my words.
                                \
                                wtf? what is our goal?

MY goal is to allow the different worship modes (i.e. religions) to manifest, to stop the destruction of religious or even semi-religious shrines, or "sacred places."

Hawaiian technology, specially as applied to sea and sky, are valuable to modern technologies. They should be preserved.

I care not for naming of GOD. GOD needs us not to name him/her/it, but to connect with its' ISness, and move onto further creation.
                                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                                ~ ~
                                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                                X