Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My name is Brah

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
    I was not meaning to be rude or too personal. You come on here, making a lot of statements with really strong feelings behind them and I'm trying to figure out your motives. If you are Hawaiian, then you have the right to make your statements - if you're not, well then your statements can be questioned. and, if you ARE Hawaiian then you will know why I ask my questions. and no, I am not Hawaiian.
    I understand many peoples passion for Hawaii. I understand your passion for Hawaii. At the end of the day, I hope that we are all here to share in the Aloha spirit.

The world could use a little Aloha spirit.

Form a lover of the culture, people, food, lifestyle, music, heritage, history and passion for Hawaii, Welcome to HT!

I am not native, but I am a humble observer of many of this planets cultures. For me, Hawaii was one of the most easy, and most connected places I have ever had the joy to experience, and even on the coldest days, I have Hawaii to warm my heart. It's always a daydream away, and sometimes, that is all I need to get me to my "happy place".

Much love. Much respect. Much Aloha. Many Mahalos for experiences that no one can ever take away from me.
    flickr

An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Comment

Tattratt - I wish you would have included the rest of that post in your response here. It was an important part of my response to Brah. and my response to him was in no way disrespectful, at least that was not my intent which was showed in my entire response.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Hello Brah,

Greatings.. I am Pete but you can call me Pedro.. I am back in the islands for good. I was in Utah and Ohio for a bit but glad to be back home.. Lol
        A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
          Greatings.. I am Pete but you can call me Pedro.. I am back in the islands for good. I was in Utah and Ohio for a bit but glad to be back home.. Lol
          Good to have you back ... on HT, too!

Comment

Looks like brah has taken a break from HT. I was intested in his/her input I guess brah was a boy...., but these days.... who knows. Who CARES?
            Li Dat...
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Oh...my. Aloha and welcome to HT Brah.

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
                Hello Brah,
                Although Pete's a Pedro he's a Brah too!
                Really good seeing you again buddy!
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

If you want to know what my motive is and where I'm coming from. It was this article that sparked a domino of emotions within me. I realized that us Native Hawaiians are dying off because we are losing our culture. This makes me feel desperate. I can't just silently watch this. But it is so difficult to explain to people where I'm coming from.

http://www.islandscene.com/Article.aspx?id=4129

Comment

What I am saying is in line with Prophet Kapihe's prophecy. He talked about the re-establishment of a cosmic order that was disturbed earlier. The sky God Wakea, ancestor of gods and human beings will then return to the proper position. Milo, the god of the underworld and the dead, now returns to his realm below. The world will no longer be ruled exceptionally by the sickness and death that us Hawaiians have been experiencing. Instead we will re-instate the rightful god of cosmic fertility.
                    It was the Christians that instated the single god. Us Hawaiians have always had a multiplicity of gods.

Our Hawaiian culture has been messed with and sullified. It is from these sullified waters that we drink. That is why we are getting sick. It is time to clean the waters of Hawaii. That is all I am saying. If that makes me a criminal. Punish me.

Comment

Originally posted by brah View Post
                      I am mixed. But a lot more Indo than anything else.
                      I realized that us Native Hawaiians are dying off because we are losing our culture.
                      I guess it is all a matter of semantics, what is a "native Hawaiian"? By my understanding, a "native Hawaiian" is 100% ehtnic Hawaiian,,,,born and reared in the Hawaiian Islands, but maybe I'm wrong.
                      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Matapule - you have to watch your punctuation! A lower case "n" has a different meaning than the upper case "N" that Brah used.
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Our name is that which we are.

If you want to know what my motive is and where I'm coming from. It was this article that sparked a domino of emotions within me. I realized that us Native Hawaiians are dying off because we are losing our culture. This makes me feel desperate. I can't just silently watch this. But it is so difficult to explain to people where I'm coming from.

My HT friend, Pua`i Mana`o, said that anyone with any Hawaiian ancestry (blood) was "Native Hawaiian." Well, I suppose that is one definition, but by that definition I would be Native Polish, Native Mongol, Native Tahitian, Native Maori, Native French, etc. I think there is only one race - the human race.

Frankly, I think that "being Hawaiian," or being a part of any other culture, is embracing the cultural values. Living as a Hawaiian makes you a Hawaiian - otherwise you're just another American. Native American Indians living on reservations in their modified traditional style qualify as "Native American." Living in the city they are just Americans. What are Hawaiians today? They are permitted cultural evolution, but what makes a Hawaiian today?

I would suppose a minimum would be embracing the concepts of "pono" and "Aloha," but it is not for me to say. Not for me to define.

Do you embrace the old gods? Ku, Kane, Lono, Kanaloa and `I`o? Pele, Hi`iaka? What qualifies you as a native Hawaiian?? Blood is not enough.

Perhaps you have Hawaiian ancestors. What do you live? What do you practice? THAT is what makes you who you are. Otherwise you are just riding on the coattails of others who cut trail before you.

Climb the mountain; cut the trail. Earn your place - you cannot just claim it based on your family.

Three times I have tried to add to this, and each time my computer/ethernet tells me it is not so. I will abide by the Polynesian law of four, and stop now. It is evidently enough, for now.

Ka`onohi`ula

Last edited by Kaonohi; December 17, 2011, 07:35 PM. Reason: Exceptional correctness.
                          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                          ~ ~
                          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

The thing is Matapule that most of the Hawaiians left are hapa - something, from many different races so that is the Hawaiians. In Fiji (where I also know and love) most Fijians are 100% though there are growing numbers of Kailoma (hapa-).

And Brah, I know Hawaiians have been stripped of lots of 'used to be's' and trying to perpetuate those are commendable. I think individuals, families, communities, and on can choose how they wish to live and what they believe in now a days while having to excist within this modern society. Takes a good charismatic leader to get people onboard in all endeavors so they'd be willing to do the difficult choices for change.
                            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Re: Our name is that which we are.

I completely agree with everything you have said Kaonohi. Thank you so much for articulating it so beautifully. It is not about where we come from or the state that we are in. Rather what is important is the state that we want to be and how we are willing to support each other in getting to that state.

Is it not so?

I will respect any one from any culture that follows the Hawaiian way better than someone with native blood. I understand that there will adjustment because we are in the modern world. But, I will respect anyone who lives in the spirit of my ancestors. I will respect them more than someone who is of Hawaiian blood who does not live in this way.

Being born a Hawaiian is not enough. You need to earn it by living up to the standard set by our ancestors.

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                              My HT friend, Pua`i Mana`o, said that anyone with any Hawaiian ancestry (blood) was "Native Hawaiian." Well, I suppose that is one definition, but by that definition I would be Native Polish, Native Mongol, Native Tahitian, Native Maori, Native French, etc. I think there is only one race - the human race.

Frankly, I think that "being Hawaiian," or being a part of any other culture, is embracing the cultural values. Living as a Hawaiian makes you a Hawaiian - otherwise you're just another American. Native American Indians living on reservations in their modified traditional style qualify as "Native American." Living in the city they are just Americans. What are Hawaiians today? They are permitted cultural evolution, but what makes a Hawaiian today?

I would suppose a minimum would be embracing the concepts of "pono" and "Aloha," but it is not for me to say. Not for me to define.

Do you embrace the old gods? Ku, Kane, Lono, Kanaloa and `I`o? Pele, Hi`iaka? What qualifies you as a native Hawaiian?? Blood is not enough.

Perhaps you have Hawaiian ancestors. What do you live? What do you practice? THAT is what makes you who you are. Otherwise you are just riding on the coattails of others who cut trail before you.

Climb the mountain; cut the trail. Earn your place - you cannot just claim it based on your family.

Three times I have tried to add to this, and each time my computer/ethernet tells me it is not so. I will abide by the Polynesian law of four, and stop now. It is evidently enough, for now.

Ka`onohi`ula

Comment

Re: Our name is that which we are.

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                                Being born a Hawaiian is not enough. You need to earn it by living up to the standard set by our ancestors.
                                Now you guys are saying something here I can respect and grasp. Mahalo, Brah, for coming back and making the efforts to correct your initial impression. And for the link to that article; I need to read it more than once and let it sit in my lolo po`o for awhile.

Comment

Working...
                                X