My name is Brah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My name is Brah

I just wished to interject that these exchanges are very interesting to read and compare with what I have come to know about the hidden Hawaiian culture. (I also read the linked article, for instance.) I also don't want to hijack thread by saying much more!

Comment

Re: Our name is that which we are.

You need to earn it by living up to the standard set by our ancestors.
      Sustainable living is the goal... not over indulgence to our destruction.
      Leaving a smaller footprint is what we should strive for. IMHO.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_footprint
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Hijack away. Please say what's on your mind.

Originally posted by Merely Malihini View Post
        I just wished to interject that these exchanges are very interesting to read and compare with what I have come to know about the hidden Hawaiian culture. (I also read the linked article, for instance.) I also don't want to hijack thread by saying much more!

Comment

Originally posted by brah View Post
          Hijack away. Please say what's on your mind.
          Thanks, Brah:

One thing...much of the inherited "culture" seems to be "handed down" by many fairly well known and widely spread sayings...such as the one that translated states "open the ears and eyes... and keep mouth shut!"

Let me remain silent for a while longer and let me work on a good reply or observation that I can place before everyone to think about. The article mentioned before on this thread seems a good jumping off point.

Mahalo!

Comment

Okay...after a little time to consider various aspects from the outsider's point of view --here goes:

The article appears to address the effects of western colonizing of indigenous people in general and in Hawai’i specifically.

In some of my online reading, I can across the work of UH professor Dr. Ty Tengan whose writings about the organizing of the Hale Mua organization for males with native backgrounds to regain knowledge of traditional ways that are very kane specific. http://scholarspace.manoa.hawaii.edu/handle/10125/1224

I read he believes that much of the overall “image” of islands and the "self image" many Hawaiian men have of themselves has been subjugated by the more feminine aspects of the culture--including the widely spread image of such things as the hula. (I personally like it. Some the music/dances can lower your blood pressure, I do believe!)

(I do know that some guys do hula in the traditionally based halau but definitely not many!...but more usually have brush with doing it as part of school but that usually is extent of it from what I gather. I think it's always about the malos! ...However,it seems when kane do a kahiko, like on Merrie Monarch dvd I saw, sounds like the wahine go crazy!--That counters the previous note about BP for them!) Anyway...

Dr Tengan also says that football serves as a stand in for part of the traditional warrior class and culture of old times and that's why the sport, especially at UH, has such a draw/involvement--re: recent coach change.

Ergo the strife in attempting to live in two worlds as the article mentioned in this thread earlier describes. A place where Hawai'i promotes itself as a vacation resort for those who can pay the price...but much of the take goes to the hotels, airlines and rent a cars! (How many fly to middle of Pacific and have biggest meal at Hard Rock Cafe and buy a cap!)

Will it be necessary for more of the main stream Native/hapa people (especially men) to do similar to what Dr. Tengan documented to get back a lost identity...and then build from there to help solve the problems?

Again all very interesting from this side of the ocean but hope I am getting a better insight by using this forum. Mahalo... to Brah and to the HT community! (Now going to get back on sideline and "zip it" (mouth) again!)

Comment

Welina mai! Take your shoes off, come on in and talk story.

Comment

Working...
              X