The Coach McMackin deathwatch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Coach McMackin deathwatch

Whoever it becomes, he better keep the house rental and the eyes on the horizon.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

The new thread about Norm Chow is at this link.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
        Whoever it becomes, he better keep the house rental and the eyes on the horizon.
        And Norm knows the name of this game as well as anybody.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
          And Norm knows the name of this game as well as anybody.
          After more than 40 years in the coaching profession, that's a given.

Some thoughts on the selection process:

1) 4 of the 5 announced finalists were older than 50. And of that group, Skip Akina and Norm Chow both receiving consideration for the 3rd time in as many coaching changes that UH has had since the firing of Bob Wagner. Indicates to me that the search committee was being conservative in sifting through the applications, placing emphasis on experience over potential that younger candidates had to offer. Had Dick Tomey handed in an application, this committee would have made him a finalist, for sure.

If Chow had been hired to replace Wagner instead of Fred von Loser, I would have been ecstatic over the selection. Sixteen years later, Chow comes across to me as a popular and "safe" choice for UH.

2) If Mark Banker could have assured UH that he would be able to bring fellow OSU asst. coach Mike Cavanaugh back to Manoa, then Banker's selection should have been a no-brainer. Coach Cav ranks among the top OL coaches in the country and had a marvelous rapport with the Polynesian recruits during his first UH stint.

3) There was quite a bit of sentiment this time around for Rich Miano. Yeah, I know Rich has had a long history at UH and bleeds green-and-white. I know he had a decade long career as an NFL player. I know he has local roots and has carried out a wide range of duties (i.e. DB coach, recruiting, administrative responsibilities, etc.) during his coaching tenure. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the personality type and charisma needed to lead a Division I program. Let's be blunt here. Whenever he gives interviews, he sounds boring. Rich is like a football version of Bob Nash. Hard-working, knowledgeable of the game and loyal to the alma mater, sure. But he just doesn't have "it" to be a successful head coach at this level.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
          X